• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. D

Cofton Country Club

Hi Folks. Trying to find out the name of a club/disco we went to in the mid 60s, racking my brains to no avail, out on the borders of Birmingham, Rednal, go to the top of Rose Hill (From Chalet Island) and at the Lickey Church turn left into Warren Lane,left again into Warren Lane, follow...
  2. D

What School Did I Go To ?

Well not me............. But if you lived in Ridley Street (rear of Saint Thomas Church, Holloway Head) in 1955 to 1960 and a girl, which senior school would have been in your catchment area please ? Kind regards. Dibs
  3. D

Lost wax jewellery casting in Pitsford Street, Birmingham

I wondered if SKS could possibly help with a trade directory look up for Pitsford Street, (Jewellery Quarter) There was around 1959/1960 a Lost Wax Jewellery Casting Company (Gold & Silver) operating at the top end of Pitsford Street Vyse Street End, I understand they moved across the Jewellery...
  4. D

Beaumont Terrace, Lodge Road.All Saints.

Beaumont Terrace, Lodge Road. All Saints. Would anyone know the wherabouts of Beaumont Terrace in Lodge Road please, was it at the top end by Winson Green or the Bottom end by Scribbans ? Any help locating the terrace greatly appreciated. Thank You.
  5. D

Paragon Heating trade directory look up c1960s please.

Hi Folks. I wonder if it is possible for SKS to do a trade directory look up if available please. Looking for the address in Birmingham of PARAGON HEATING & VENILATION. circa late 50s early 60s (1960) If my memory serves me correct should be around Snow Hill area. Would go in the Birmingham...
  6. D

Brummie Dialect Dictionary

Apologies if previously posted........... https://www.thedialectdictionary.com/view/letter/Brummie/page1/?view=standard Although I have not lived in Birmingham for many years, there are a surprisingly number of words I still use .........
  7. D

Can you make out name of informant

Hi Folks Can anyone make out the name or offer any clues as to the of informant on this death cert please The first name is Ellen? The surname starts with an S (I gathered this from another word on DC) The cert was issued to the daughter at 10a Mostyn Street Llandudno June 1950 Kind...
  8. D

Pub in Key Hill?

Hi Folks... Had this image for a while now, but lost in the realms of my PC, taken in the 1950s I guess, and now Georges Cafe, but it looks to have been a pub in its earlier years, any one know if it was a pub, and if so its name? The old guy is standing at the entrance to Cemetery Drive I...
  9. D

Not Birmingham, but interesting... (London Blitz)

LONDON (AP) — Rare color footage of the bomb damage inflicted on London during World War II has surfaced on the eve of the 70th anniversary of the Blitz. The dramatic footage shows the destruction of several London landmarks, including the flagship John Lewis store on Oxford Street. The film...
  10. D

Birmingham Civilian War Casualties

Would SKS please be kind enough to post the link to the Birmingham Civilian War Casualties web page, I lost my bookmark and searches under google have proved fruitless, I think it came under "Barras" ? Thank You. Dibs.
  11. D

The Shakespeare, Summer Row.

As any of our esteemed posters a photograph of the "Shakespeare" public house on the corner of Summer Row & Lionel Street please? Turn of the century would be absolutely amazing too if anyone can help? (Lynn ? :)) Dibs
  12. D

WWI Record look up request...

Is there any kind soul with Ancestry subs who could do a look up for a WW1 war records/card for a individual who was a career soldier in the Royal Welch Fusiliers from 1910 to 1924 please. just asking as Christmas is nearly upon us and I know time is a valuable commodity just now.
  13. D

SIMPSON John Henry 1901.

Hi folks.... Looking for a bit of help with a brick wall please... I understand Ancestry has London Parish Baptism Records available and i was hoping that SKS with a subscription could possibly do me a look up please? I have a John Henry SIMPSON born 1901 in London (birth age taken from...
  14. D

A little less in OXO cubes & Walkers Crisps

Has anyone else noticed, established brand named companies are putting less and less produce in their packaging? Wallker's Crisps for one, open the pack and there is now more fresh air than crisps ! ! ! Latest brand name to join the fight to give us less produce, OXO cubes, the cubes are now...
  15. D

Tram images & Birmingham

Just killing a bit of time and found these photographs on eBay dozens more, too many to go through.
  16. D

EVETTS Family (Electoral Roll Look Up)

I know it is not the correct forum for a Electoral Roll look up, but there does not seem a look up forum for Electoral Rolls. I have 3 EVETTS ladies I have been tracking through the Electoral Rolls from the 1920s at 53 IVOR ROAD SPARKHILL right up until the the 1948/1949 book in which they...
  17. D

Images of Birmingham (Modern)

Not sure if this site has been recommended before? https://www.geograph.org.uk/explore/places/1/
  18. D

Joseph BEECROFT

Morning Folks. Would SKS please check if any directory lists Joseph BEECROFT of Thomas Street Aston is listed in any directory pre 1868. He was most likely selling groceries/provisions. Many thanks Dibs.
  19. D

Brigadier H E C Weldon.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to enable me to find further information on the following officer. Brigadier H E C Weldon. Alas I have very little information to go on apart from he served in WW11 and as I understand it had published a number of military books. Kind...
  20. D

EVETTS Benjamin look up request

Would AKS with credits please be kind enough to do be search for Benjamin EVETTS please He is showing up as Benjamin G Evetts with other occupants MICHAEL J SMITH, ANDREA S SMITH He is listed on 192.com for 2002/2008 but on going to purchase credits I find that it works out at 22.98...
Back