• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Shakespeare, Summer Row.

dib44

master brummie
As any of our esteemed posters a photograph of the "Shakespeare" public house on the corner of Summer Row & Lionel Street please?

Turn of the century would be absolutely amazing too if anyone can help? (Lynn ? :))

Dibs

this any good?

Shakespeare_summer_row.jpg

That's the right Shakespeare Mike, when my son was at university he spent most of his leisure time there. The Brennans were the landlord at the time
early 80s. A few weeks ago we were in the The Old Crown in Digbeth, which they also owned and vastly improved, and bumped into Mrs. Brennan (can't remember her first name) she was so pleased to see my son, and said she remembered his crowd with much affection. Her name was Helen just remembered.

Mike, yes brilliant, thank you.

Go in most Thursday nights after visiting the Birmingham Archives, and have done for the last decade or so, then last week I found that my Gt Gt Aunts hubby used to run the "Beer House" as it was then, found them on the 1891 census, Frederick Bowkett and his three daughters, Kate, Lily & Frances, small, small world.

Many thanks, dibs.

That's the right Shakespeare Mike, when my son was at university he spent most of his leisure time there. The Brennans were the landlord at the time
early 80s. A few weeks ago we were in the The Old Crown in Digbeth, which they also owned and vastly improved, and bumped into Mrs. Brennan (can't remember her first name) she was so pleased to see my son, and said she remembered his crowd with much affection. Her name was Helen just remembered.

Hello Sylvia , when you analyse the amount of pubs owned by the Brennan family in or around that time it's unbelievable here are a few I know to The Shakespeare , The Royal George Summer Lane , The Shareholders Arms , The Aston Hotel Witton Rd , The Observatory Portland Road , The Brown Lion Hockley, Sean Brennan Pats brother moved to a pub in Telford from The Brown Lion, John McGoughran ,Pats brother in law moved to Kidderminster after leaving The Observatory. Pat had two other sisters who owned another two pubs that I cannot name

Back