• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WWI Record look up request...

dib44

master brummie
Is there any kind soul with Ancestry subs who could do a look up
for a WW1 war records/card for a individual who was a career soldier
in the Royal Welch Fusiliers from 1910 to 1924 please.

just asking as Christmas is nearly upon us and I know time is
a valuable commodity just now.

Most kind of you Shera, thought best to ask first as people are busy just now, but here goes

Edward Martin born between the 8/12/1890 & 7/12/1891 joined the Royal Welch Fusiliers circa 1910 servied the Great war in the 1st Battalion RWF
(based in Wrexham Barracks) and was still serving same battalion RWF in Lucknow india when he married on December 7th 1920 returning to Wales (Wrexham)
in 1924, that is all I have have Shera, place of birth unknown sadly.

Dibs

i cant seem to find anything else dib, i hope someone else will have a look as well just in case ive missed something

Can't find any more WW1 info other than what Shera has found. Other than that - Edward Martin born c1899 Woolwich, Kent, Private 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers based at Hugh Rose Barracks, Jubbulpore C P (India) around 1911.

Suzanne

Thank you Shera...

The medal cards are spot on with the address in Nelson Street, thank you for that gratefully appreciated i can assure you Shera.

Suzanne, may I please ask how you found Edward Martin in 1911 please?

I have a similar Edward in 1901 living with his widowed mother Charlotte M F Martin aged 32 born India and his brother John
at 12 Delvan Street, Woolwich, Kent, this Edward date of birth is given as 1898 and born in Ireland, the family are living with
Charlottes brother Edward J Butler aged 37 born warley, Essex.

If I can find Edward on the 1911 census (I have a sub to FMP) I can try and tie the two families together...

Kind regards.

Dibs.

Terry,

Thank you for that information, I had not noticed the P of W, from the card
is it possible to glean further information relating to his imprisonment please?

Hi Dibs

I just searched for any Edward Martin's born circa 1899 and then there are two who are listed as military, overseas.

Suzanne

EDIT RG14 piece 34980 reference RG14PN34980 RD641 SD5 ED2 SN9999

Hi Suzanne...

Sorry to bother you, but a question, in 1911 he is a private RWF, but with a date of birth of 1899 that would put him at aged 12 in the army?

FMP is playing silly people with my search RG14 piece 34980 reference RG14PN34980 RD641 SD5 ED2 SN9999

coming up with
Your search criteria returned 1069 results. This search returns a maximum of 500 results. Please redefine your search.

Kind regards.

Ray

Dib

Just igore me!!!! I meant 1890!!!! If you just put edward martin born 1890 plus or minus 2 years about 3 pages come up and he is on the second page. Hope you have more luck now.

Suzanne

Hi dib44
With regard to information on P O W's try the Red Cross..
It can take several months for them to reply but I did this when reseaching my wife's granddad. The dates and details provided were amazing and it enabled me get photos of the actual camps from the Internet.
Snoker

Thanks Snoker, never would have given the Red Cross a thought,
will look into contacting them, Cheers.

Dibs

Back