• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Can you make out name of informant

dib44

master brummie
Hi Folks

Can anyone make out the name or offer any clues as to the of informant on this death cert please

The first name is Ellen?

The surname starts with an S (I gathered this from another word on DC)

The cert was issued to the daughter at 10a Mostyn Street Llandudno June 1950View attachment 63468

Kind regards.

Dibs

I think the name looks like SHACKLADY. The Oxford Names Companion lists this name. Anthea.

Anthea, you are a real Gem, I thought Slacklady, but as you say Shacklady, loads of them on the 1911 census, mostly from Lancs,
also found a demise for Ellen Shacklady in 1995 from Aberconwy, not a stones throw from Llandudno, could be one and the same.

Thank you kindly, greatly appreciated.

Dibs

Please can I give a hint here. Sometimes when you can't quite make out a signature, don't look straight at it. Turn your head and look out of the corner of your eye. I don't know why it works but I've found that it does. Another idea is to sit back further from the screen rather than get closer and relax your eyes. It works similar to when a face is pixelled out on the television. If you work less hard to make out the features you actually seem to see more.

I hope that you have found who you were looking for. I've tried to look at how same letters are formed but the letter 'h' isn't the same in the words you know for definate and have an 'h' in. One thing I have noticed is there almost appears to be a dot in the surname that almost makes it look like Sliocklady. But, I've put the name into GenesReunited and absolutely nothing comes up for it. So I think that Slacklady is the correct name for sure.

Can I ask if you have the mother's and daughter's name have you looked at FreeBMD to see if you can find the daughter's marriage?

Jill

Back