• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Beaumont Terrace, Lodge Road.All Saints.

dib44

master brummie
Beaumont Terrace, Lodge Road. All Saints.

Would anyone know the wherabouts of Beaumont Terrace in Lodge Road please,

was it at the top end by Winson Green or the Bottom end by Scribbans ?

Any help locating the terrace greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Beaumont terrace cut accross the junction of Bacchus road and Lodge road. It was listed on the electoral rolls as being off bacchus road, and on the older c 1890 maps the lodge road end is closed off by a wall or similar. It is shown in red below.

map_c_1903_showing_beaumont_terrace.jpg

Very grateful Mike, thank you, most helpful,I have to do an 1911 census address search and with over 400 properties
it looks very daunting, now I know it is nearer the top end than the bottom I will start there, thank you very much.

It is on the 1911 census going aslomg Bacchus road. . no 7 Beaumont Terrace is All Saints. district 05 p 18 on Ancestry

Thank yo for that Mike, I do not have Ancestry, I have Find my Past,
I have just done a two hour address search for Lodge Road and no Beaumont Terrace, as you say it may in in Bacchus Road,
according to the address I have it is 4 Beaumont Terrace, Lodge Road, oh well now for Bacchus Road :05.18-flustered:

hi mike and dibbs ;
this may be undecided as i it came under all saints it would have ben scribbons end of lodg rd as that particular section
from all sints started there all saints street at scribbons and if you walked up from the flat of lodge rd end
there was a pub on the corner of park rd and continue up the lodge the next pub you came to in passing which was about150 yards
from the previuos pub was a pub called the fireman ;which alot of people have not mentioned on this forum it was a little pub
and the locals used to brig out there stools in order to have a drink with the kids and listen to the singing of the people and th old joe Anna
and right next to that little pub was a terrace with houses up it i think it was about twenty houses on both side of the path you walk up
i recall the peters family living up there way back in the fiftys and the sixties i do not know what year they was demoed ;
i have reason to beleive that was the terrace he is on about as they was listed as all saints and i believe stan burrows and the hills family lived up there as well inthose days along with step leopole another friend of stan burrows it was classed as all saints district
if you continue to walk up the hill to scibons bakery and pass it and cross over there was a row of terrace houses there just as you would have ben walking over the railway bridge on the rd it curved to the left it was a little batch of houses very smart ly kept house which i think it was ;
one or the other i would say which was just off the lodge rd ;thoe houses wold have bee built behind the al saints church and chool that was there ;
along all saints rd and the hydralic pub was on the vey corner and my sister inlaw used to live right next door to that very pub ;
best wishes Astonian;;

dib
If you haven't found it yet , no 4 Beaumont terrace is occupied by
Thomas James Jacombs 36 labourer engineer worker born Gadby Weston (?)
Ada Helen Jacombs wife 32 3 months married 2 children both alive born handsworth
Dora (?) Jacombs daught. 2 born smethwick
Dennis Arthur Jacombs son 11/12 born birmingham

HI AND GOOD MORNING CAROLINA
Many thanks for your reply and for jogging my memory i do know the pub name but at that paricular time as i was typing it out
for the love nor money i just could not think of the name ;i knew some-one would tell me
carol my brother and myself used to use that pub and the surrounding pubs as well but that particular i just could not get the brain working ;
i think i have seen the word on here by other members with the expression ; [ called a senior moment ]
i used to go with a girl across the road from that pub on park rd when i was young by the name of carol whom had a cousin living next door to her
andi had alot of friends around that area in the sixtys and my father worked across the rd at charles harris bakelte moulders
and my grand parents used to run the coffee shop across the rd on park rd and a friend of mine an italian kid whom parents ran the one the other side on the flat
those was good days also i had alot of friends up in Abbey street and up the top end of lodge rd also my grand mother lived up lodge rd and in devonshire street ; many thanks carolina . for putting me right have your self a good day ; best wishes Astonian;;;;;

Beaumont terrace cut accross the junction of Bacchus road and Lodge road. It was listed on the electoral rolls as being off bacchus road, and on the older c 1890 maps the lodge road end is closed off by a wall or similar. It is shown in red below.

map_c_1903_showing_beaumont_terrace.jpg

Thank you for your map. In Birmingham Post Year Book 1953-54 they mention a "Verminous Persons Cleansing Station" in Bacchus Road. No charge was made. Trying to locate it on Geographia A1 street atlas (of about 1960) there are some "Baths" located just about opposite Preston Road. I assumed that the Verminous Station had morphed into the Baths. But the Disinfecting Station on your map is further along.

In the Year Book the Corporation Swimming Baths are listed. Some of those had washing type baths too (eg Green Lane). Were there other baths like that too?

Back