• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cofton Country Club

dib44

master brummie
Hi Folks.

Trying to find out the name of a club/disco we went to in the mid 60s, racking my brains to no avail, out on the borders of Birmingham, Rednal, go to the top of Rose Hill (From Chalet Island) and at the Lickey Church turn left into Warren Lane,left again into Warren Lane, follow track to bottom, Lickey Hills Country Park Cafe on your right, on your left opposite you went down an unmade road to the club, it has now been demolished and rebuilt as Lickey Hills Nursing Home.

Any guys and girls used the club, or/can remember the name I would be most grateful.

Kind Regards.

Dibs

Not the Chalet, that sits by the island and is now a pub. Could the club have been The Barn ?

Sell Oak Boy, thanks for that, it seems you are correct, it was the Barn, the Chalet Country Club was at the bottom of Rose Hill and the Barn at the top of Rose Hill, spoke to my friend who originally asked me the question and the name "The Barn" triggered his memory bank, it seems the clientele was the more mature
folk, I was in my teens in the mid sixties and if memory serves correct the clientele of the Barn was 30s & 40s.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I only visited The Barn a couple of times and my memories match yours, a more mature clientele certainly.

Hi Folks.

Trying to find out the name of a club/disco we went to in the mid 60s, racking my brains to no avail, out on the borders of Birmingham, Rednal, go to the top of Rose Hill (From Chalet Island) and at the Lickey Church turn left into Warren Lane,left again into Warren Lane, follow track to bottom, Lickey Hills Country Park Cafe on your right, on your left opposite you went down an unmade road to the club, it has now been demolished and rebuilt as Lickey Hills Nursing Home.

Any guys and girls used the club, or/can remember the name I would be most grateful.

Kind Regards.

Dibs
The place you speak of was the Cofton Club, which had been the old roller rink during the Lickey Hills fairground days. Owned by the Smart family, in the mid 60's it was managed, as I recall, by a ginger haired chap named Ronny and was a great weekend live music rock gig that featured Jeff Lynne's Idle Race on many occasions. Barry Collins had it from 1969 until 1974 and aimed it at the 'more mature' cabaret market. Tiny Clarke, brother of Alan Clarke the footballer then turned it into a disco / live band / hen - stag night venue until maybe 1980.

Back