• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

SIMPSON John Henry 1901.

dib44

master brummie
Hi folks....

Looking for a bit of help with a brick wall please...

I understand Ancestry has London Parish Baptism Records available and i was hoping that SKS with a subscription could possibly do me a look up please?

I have a John Henry SIMPSON born 1901 in London
(birth age taken from marriage certificate)

I have 4 possibles taken from Free BMD

Birth: December 1900 Simpson John Henry Fulham 1a/273
Birth: June 1900 Simpson John Harry St.George Hanover Square 1a/449
Births March 1901 Simpson John Greenwich 1d/1084
Birth: September 1901 SIMPSON John Southwark 1d/40

If I had to hazard a guess i would choose the St Georges Hanover Square or Souhwark Registrations over the other 2, only reason is that he married a Maud Pearson in 1926 at Saint Georges church, Hanover Square London.

He gives his father as John SIMPSON a shoe maker, searches of the 1901 & 1911 censuses (genes reunited & find my past) have proved fruitless in finding the family.

So with the London baptisms I am hoping to unearth some little gem that will enable me to start demolishing that brick wall, but I am very unsure as to what exact parish records Ancestry hold.

Kind regards.

Dibs

And if that is your man here is a possible marriage for his parents.

John James Simpson
Ruth Isabel Ward
1897 Fulham reference 1a 514 AMJ

On John Henry's baptism record it appears Ruth Isabel is deceased by the time he is baptised.

Suzanne

Here is what looks like the 1901 census for John James and Ruth Simpson.

Suzanne

WHOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOO

B****Y Brilliant :)

One thing about this wonderful site is no matter how much you think you know about FH research there is ALWAYS someone that knows a little bit more, over the moon fmtr, over the moon, sincere thanks.
Onwards and upwards, I had been stuck there for over a year.

May I ask the name of the church the baptism appeared in please fmtr?

God bless you and Ancestry...

The demise Of Ruth Isabel

[SIZE=+1]Deaths Dec 1905 [SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/SIZE]SIMPSON Ruth Isabel 31 Fulham 1a206

Dibs.

Dibs

The entry just has the parish of St Alban, Fulham
Borough: Hammersmith & Fulham
County: Middlesex

Glad we have the right man:)

Suzanne

EDIT forgot to say the baptism records only seem to go up to 1906 so we were VERY lucky to find them!!

Then that was so, so lucky then, a truly eureka moment, we do not get many but when we do :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly Suzanne.

Dibs

Pleasure to help Dibs. I believe it was you who got marriage details of a gt gt grandfather for me from Bham library:) so one good turn deserves another.

Dibs

I suppose you have noticed but I have just seen that Ruth Elizabeth and Bertha Vera were baptised on the same day as John Henry :)
The girls are listed after John.

Suzanne

EDIT flippin' 'eck also a Kathleen Nora - the birth maybe coinciding with Ruth's death? both in 1905

Dibs

I have searched the 1911 census for John James Simpson and his children to no avail. When I looked for a 2nd marriage for him I found one for a John James Simpson to a Florence Turner in JAS 1906 Fulham 1a 677. So just searching for a Florence Simpson in 1911 I found this entry. Birthplace and profession match, year of birth slightly out. See what you think. My only concern is where are his children from the 1st marriage?

Suzanne

Snap.

Just found that myself Suzanne...

911 census transcription details for: 27 Playfair Street Hammersmith W
spacer.gif
National Archive Reference:
spacer.gif
RG14PN299 RG78PN9 RD3 SD3 ED33 SN115
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Reg. District: Fulham Sub District: North West Fulham Parish: Fulham Enum. District: 33
Address: 27 Playfair Street Hammersmith W County: London
spacer.gif
Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married
Sex Age Birth
Year
Occupation Where Born SIMPSON, John James Head Married
5 years M 40 1871 Bootmaker Paddington London SIMPSON, Florence Wife Married F 30 1881
Hackney London SIMPSON, Herbert James Son
M 4 1907
Hammersmith London
New wife and child too, I am thinking perhaps mother in law took her daughters children in, .

I think John may have taken a couple of years off his age when marrying, I found this earlier that could match as
Paddington (1901 census) comes under this registration district.

To be sure though I will need to order his marriage cert to Ruth.

Birth: March 1871
Simpson John James Kensington 1a186

Also found a POSSIBLE match in the 1881 census too.

Hammersmith Enum. District:
Ecclesiastical District:
City/Municipal Borough:

Address: 5, Crown St, Hammersmith County: Middlesex
spacer.gif
Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth
Year
Occupation ,
Disability
Where Born SIMPSON, James Head Married M 38 1843 Gasfitter
Hamsth
Middlesex SIMPSON, Emma Wife Married F 36 1845
Hamsth
Middlesex SIMPSON, John Son Single M 10 1871 Scholar
Hamsth
Middlesex SIMPSON, Artur Son Single M 8 1873 Scholar
Hamsth
Middlesex SIMPSON, Alfred Son Single M 4 1877
Hamsth
Middlesex

I don't know whether this is connected to your research
Norah Kathleen Simpson
Estimated birth year: abt 1905
Year of Registration: 1905
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at Death: 0
District: Croydon
County: Greater London, Kent, Surrey
Volume: 2a
Page: 184
I also found,in the 1911 census,Bertha Simpson aged 12,at 7&9 Riverdale Rd,Twickenham.I think it's an orphan home run by nuns.

Thank you Suzanne for all your help today, brick wall well & truly taken down all thanks to you and Ancestry, must be really great for folk who have their ancestors in the smoke, what a great boon to genealogists having those baptism & marriage records put on line, thank you once again, greatly appreciated.

Ladylinda, thank you for those records, I had not thought to look for the demise of little Norah, but according to the baptism records Suzanne posted little Norah was baptised on the 5th March 1906 with Bertha John & Ruth how strange that a little girl with exactly the same name passes away, but on first glance it looks as if the other children were farmed out as orphans, whilst father moved on to a new bride and child, but it was a different world back then I guess, no child benefit or unemployment pay, and home births that sometimes went very, very wrong.

I shall have to make time and track down what happened to Ruth & Norah after the death of the children's mother.

Thank you for your input Ladylinda.

Kind regards both, Dibs.

Thank

Back