• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. D

Dunlop

Anyone remember George Humphreys or Humphries working at Dunlop forties and early fifties. He lived in Dunvegan Road Erdington. Regards, David.
  2. D

Lichfield Road Aston

Hey Stars wasn't Auto Tutors taken over from The Birmingham Rubber Stamp Company. I worked there late forties early fifties. Regards David.
  3. D

Sutton Park

Hey Old Mohawk, that tree grew like that because some yoke,l belonging to Bishop Vesey's household, accidently sat a maiden on it while he plighted his troth. Kind regards, David.
  4. D

Sutton Park

Hey Dave if you'd have looked very carefully you'd have seen the form of a boy watching you from the bushes, he slowly turned into an old man of eighty one in the Australian bush. Thank you for reawakening lovely memories of my park. Kind regards, David.
  5. D

David Weaver wonders.

Are there any Weavers still out there, used to be thousands? Regards, David Weaver
  6. D

Courtyards and yards of brum

Hello Lyn and folks, I'm in the throes of sorting out my stories and poems in case I cark it, for the kids and history, and I have more than nine hundred pieces plus a novel of a hundred and twenty thousand words. When I showed the kids the numbers they went white so expect them to be lost in...
  7. D

Hello Lyn and all, Dad used to sweep off the coal dust from the lorry then throw on a canvas cover and a tent with some grub to eat on the way to Western Super Mare. All us kids were stuck in the back fighting like mad to relieve the boredom and when we went under the Clifton Suspension Bridge...
  8. D

Brummie sayings & language

Hello folks, my lovely old mom used to say when I was a nipper, and lying through my teeth about something or other, mostly the other, 'You can lock up against a thief but there's nothing you can do about a liar, WHACK! Kind Regards David.
  9. D

Hey Charlie, we had our own inside Larpom and everyone reckoned we were posh. Caused plenty of fights with the ruffians for who wants to be called posh in Aston, not me and that's for sure. Regards, David.
  10. D

Hey Alan, why is it when I read about the hard times I feel a warm sense of belonging to times long gone. Quite proud I am. Regards, David.
  11. D

What was that little rhyme we used to say when wiping our noses on our gansy sleeve, 'There's the church and there's the people wipe up quick and there's the steeple.'Regards, David
  12. D

Now I know why a lot of kids ran around without shoes and socks on, made life much simpler. Regards, David.
  13. D

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Gudday young Astonian, nice to see you're round and about. Over here today the wind is strong enough to blow the dog off the chain. Kind Regards, David.
  14. D

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Last of the Summer Wine indeed[. Regards, David.QUOTE=oldMohawk;525872]Advisable to only make nice comments about the pinny in this pic, that broom is held at the ready ! The pic is earlier in the thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41947&p=489939#post489939
  15. D

A quick wash in our place was a Top and Tail, Lick and a Promise or a Catholic which I presume was a Cat Lick. If you left a dirty ring around your neck someone would shout out, 'The tide Daint come in very far today, David'. Kind regards and isn't it surprising what is hidden in the dark...
  16. D

'ea guzz Nico, Threpence or a threpny bit. Threpence aapny and a pennythree farthins. For what I remember a loaf of bread always seemed to have a farthing attached to the price even into the late forties and if the price went up by an aafpenny the baker was likely to get a gobfull. Regards, David.
  17. D

Anyone remember Blaughting ?

Please sir, David Weaver said you were a hopeless teacher blarted out my best mate, in class, and then went home blarting to his mother because he received a thick ear. Regards, David.
  18. D

Things you said when you was a kid

Juju's were fine but don't suck the Kaylii too fast or you'll cough for a fortnight and then look for your lungs for another week and Granny White's toffee apples would clamp your jaws together better than the glue made from horses hooves. Kind regards, David.
  19. D

National Memorial Arboretum

Kind Regards, David 'THEOLD SOLDIER'S PARADE.' By DavidWeaver  Last year Iwatched the soldiers march, as the mistyrain drifted down. Old men andwomen proudly walked, some for thelast time, through the town. Etched intotheir faces were of past battles won, of death onthe rails in Siam...
  20. D

National Memorial Arboretum

Reading all this history about Alrewas makes me very happy and perhaps a little sad at the same time. My grandfather had a farm there pre-war and each weekend we drove from Aston to visit him. In winter it was very foggy through Trent Valley and on one occasion my mother walked in front of the...
Back