• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Thanks for posting the picture Lyn. That would be exactly how my family lived in Pope Street at the turn of the century up until the 1930s.
Not the best of housing was it? Still ... the George and Dragon was within staggering distance!

lol charlie trust you to think of that silver lining...

to be honest i think most (normal) housing was not to the best of standards but im still a firm believer that on the whole most folk did the best that they could in keeping them up to scratch

lyn

I'm sure they did Lyn. And I'm sure there was a wonderful sense of community as well. Something sadly lacking these days.
Mind you - you lived so close to the people in the same yard, it paid to be on good terms with them, 'specially if you were sharing a lav!

I'm sure they did Lyn. And I'm sure there was a wonderful sense of community as well. Something sadly lacking these days.
Mind you - you lived so close to the people in the same yard, it paid to be on good terms with them, 'specially if you were sharing a lav!

totally agree with you charlie...also agree about being on good terms if sharing the lavy lol

ahh bless you viv lol.. just took me back to where i was born in our nans back to back....the smell of lavender always reminds me of the tins of purple polish in a round tin...sunday morning was always our nans good bottoming of her little palace..considering there was our mom and dad..nan..me and my brother in the 2 up 1 down with small scullery the place was always spic and span..

lyn

Was the lavender polish called "Ronuk"?

Lavendo is the name I remember.

il_570xN.370066313_9e34.jpg

Bill123

Though Ronuk was primarily a floor polish I do believe they made polishes for other uses.

Attachments

• Ronuk.jpg
    Ronuk.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 6
Another strong scent must have been that of disinfectant. I remember it was used by the bucketload. But no comparison with the air filled with lavender polish. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Another strong scent must have been that of disinfectant. I remember it was used by the bucketload. But no comparison with the air filled with lavender polish. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jeyes fluid viv... used by my nan and in turn our mom to wash down the yards and now me....love the smell of it lol

lyn

Last edited:
Not sure if I completely agree with you about the smell of Jeyes fluid, Lyn. It always reminds me of the when the cellar below the flat I was in in Leeds was flooded with sewage, and workman came round afterwards drenching the place with the stuff.

Not sure if I completely agree with you about the smell of Jeyes fluid, Lyn. It always reminds me of the when the cellar below the flat I was in in Leeds was flooded with sewage, and workman came round afterwards drenching the place with the stuff.

oh dear mike...just goes to show its strong stuff though lol

lyn

cardinal-red-polish.jpg

Recalling those very energetic ladies who kept the floors of the sculleries and kitchens very clean , or those of the the houses where they worked , with this polish.

So clean, it was said, that you could eat of the floor - though I never took up their offer.
a065.gif

Hey Alan, why is it when I read about the hard times I feel a warm sense of belonging to times long gone. Quite proud I am. Regards, David.
Hi there
I have got a book called the sinister side of birmingam with all but most of the court yards with
People showing and the crimms of in the court yards around Aston and various districts
And the picture of the peeky blinders with there caps on whom lived in Clyde road and various picture of people
And there wicked. Crimes. In the Victorian days murder was 9 months in prison same for manslaughter
When you look at today's. Judgement its gone back in time along with the story of the in divisional family and of mug shots
Well I am off now to stourport carol,s neck of the woods as there is a week end of country and western music today
For the whole week ends good top bands like magil his fan club is massive they will. E from all over the country
He his appearing tomorrow down by the river free addition pay at carpark fee for parking that's reasonable or get free parking a.long the roads
There his a host of bands today and the fields of line dancers if you are up to it magil is acompanedwith other country and western singers another one is paul built
If any of his fans out there held also there tommoroww
Have a great day best wishes astonian,,,, Alan,,,

Hey Charlie, we had our own inside Larpom and everyone reckoned we were posh. Caused plenty of fights with the ruffians for who wants to be called posh in Aston, not me and that's for sure. Regards, David.

Hey Charlie, we had our own inside Larpom and everyone reckoned we were posh. Caused plenty of fights with the ruffians for who wants to be called posh in Aston, not me and that's for sure. Regards, David.

quite right david...if anyone had called us posh i would have been mortified...im proud to say i started life in me nans back to back complete with tin bath in front of the fire and a shared lavvy up the yard lol

all the best

lyn

Larpom, now that's a word I have not heard for years.

Hi Morton
I have not heard from you in a long time I hope you are well nice to hear from you
On the subject of posh in those days of gone bye
We was brought up in the slums as you know in a one up and one down and lived up Cromwell terrace
It had twenty house up it ten each side of the terrace and five lava to share at the top of the yard with other neibours and
It was the responds of the neibours was the last one in makes sure there was plenty of news paper cut up hanging on the back door
Other wise there would be a fight and argument over not doing it if they found out whom was the last person in
Which to be honest it was quite often and on the word of posh
Unfortunelay there was there posh ones at the top of the yard next to the lava
And we had a couple at the bottom of the hard but what we all called like most people in those days and it was every where around brum
In those days we would refers than as all. Kippers and curtains just to show , pretending to be posh
But in those days all the tennsnts used to be seen walking up the terrace at some point of the day go the lava with there gerrymia pot
Or the enamel buckets of. Slops from during the night if you woke up and wanting to use the lab
As our terrace was a big huge terrace and it went up a hill and through the seabournes garden to get to the lab and the brew house
Those were the days my friend have a good day Mort ,,,Alan,,, astonian,,,,,,

Hi Alan

Good to hear from you too, I read the forum a couple of time a day, so am normally around and up to date. I have heard the expression all kippers and custard and new dress and no draws used a few time for wanna be posh people.

I came from a poor background and was quite ok because we were all in the same boat. How my mom managed the family budget, ill never know, she use to work a few miracles; borrow a couple of bob off my nan, or pawn the canteen of cutlery every so often.

I think the pawn shops offers a good service, and if you could not pay the money back, you lost the item you pleaded. not like today where people get into high interest loans, that escalate out of control and the debit never goes away.

"Larpom". Same here !
We were neither inside or outside when I was a kid. A strange design quirk meant that although our lav was part of the structure of the house, you had to exit the back door then come in again through the toilet door. It was such a performance in the middle of the night that we all had a Jerry under the bed !

Hi Mort
Nice to hear from you and to know you are reading the forum
I had to smile about the expression you used with no draws ha,
Yes as you probably recall I have said many years ago on here about our standard of .living in the slums and having Thompsons
Slaughter behind the living room wall and the house was from top to bottom even on the staircase walls covered in red plaster bugs
And the top it all was cockroaches quite large ones the walls was like looking at a steel plate wall glissinging of mirror or
You would wake up in the morning get to the stair case to walk down only to see hundreds of these cockroaches covering all the steps down
You had to bang the floor before they would scarper and you would have to stamp on them to kill them to walk down the stairs
They was every where even on the living room wall and the floor it was ,like that for years red bugs off the walls over the beds
It was horroundius but we was not alone next door was the same but not so many as us
Well regarding having food we was brought up on bread and sop the old man always worked for years at Charles Harris bake lights
Molders but it seems there was never no money only once I recall going to the pop shop on Aston cross
To get the old mans suit because the nab said he would have to pop his suit only at weekends we got a cooked dinner of sausage
Whilst the old man had steak and mushrooms we .lived in jam and sop and tripe
But what got me her parents had all the coffee shops and a grocery provisions ware house on the cross for all there coffee shops around brum lived it HP but never enterainn there one and only child a daughter but what is was they tabood her for breaking away at 14 years old and got pregnant
Took him to court order to stay away but she broke loose and left to Aston slums with this bloke whom was my father
In the end ten hears later her mother came around and went to see George his brother whom was a councillor
And he seen council Silverman and the person whom was head of bush house andemediatly got us out of there
Andtherest of thetennsnts had to wait until theseventysbefore they got moved under the slum clearance
Have a good day Mort Alan,,, astonian,,,,,,

Whilst we were never really poor I remember Mom had a big purse that had about 8 or 10 compartments in it and every Thursday when Dad was paid he brought home his wage packet unopened.
As he was a waiter a lot of his pay was made up of tips so no week was ever the same.
The money was put out on the arm of the large easy chair and Mom would start putting the money into the separate compartments, !st. Rent money,2nd The Club money for clothing, then through food, gas money, bus fares, coal money and the last was pocket money and any over went into the special for treats and holidays.
We were I suppose pretty well off compared to many but both our parents had been raised in poverty and they had learnt the hard way and both worked to give us all a bit of comfort if not luxury.
Cheers Tim

Back