• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Anyone remember Blaughting ?

JohnT

Warstock Boy
When I was a kid and cried for superficial reasons, the typical response from my parents was "And you can stop yer blaughting an'all, or you'll get something to cry for me'lad."

Does anyone remember the word 'Blaughting', and have I spelled it correctly? I can't find any reference to the word in Google.

Yes I can remember it well John.
I think it might be spelt Blarting tho ~ and its down as a black country saying for "crying"

yes quite correct bernie;
blarting two ways ; i heard the expression when i was growing up even in later years the word blarting
can and was used in two ways ; firstly crying as it was quite correctly said and the word blarting his mouth off about a secret
by opening there mouth and letting the person of knowing a secret they did not know or should have said about them
that being the other person ; trying to hide some think from sombody ; letting the cat of the bag ;
best wishes astonian ;;;

Yes, I see now that Blarting is the spelling. It immediately turned up in Google when I used it, and with the link to the Black Country.

As well as the first meaning that I recognise - of prolonged, childish crying, I also recognise the second meaning re: Blarting out of a secret or something that shouldn't be said at the given time / in the given situation. Eg "We told him not to tell anybody but he went and blarted it out in front of the whole family!"

Thanks all

;-)

John when I looked it appears to mean getting drunk in some parts of the country. Blarting as in letting the 'cat out of the bag' looks like it may be interchangeable with Blurting out maybe?

Oh don't you hate it when kids Grizzle? Usually just trying to get their own way. Of course I was never guilty.

My mother came from Aston and my father from Deritend way. I came from Great Barr and my wife from Walsall. My sisters have lived in Australia for many years. Hence the expressions of blarting, blurting it out, grizzling and winjing are very familiar to us. I have not heard the expression of blarting during my adulthood until about 2 years ago at a wake when an American citizen was speaking from a microphone to family and friends. Albeit he had a strong American accent, he suddenly came out with the word "blarting" My wife and I looked at each other and wondered if it was also an American expression. Making further enquiries we discovered that the American was born and bred in Walsall, England.

Yes Sue - Whinging - "stop yer whinging" .. but blartings me favourite atm
~ I'm wondering if "blaughting" is what the posher kids did tho ? ~ only joking :)

Or what the posher parents said lol - my daughter in London was amazed when her colleagues didn't know what blarting and whinging meant, but my other daughter in Liverpool says they knew whinging but not blarting, but can't remember what they say instead of blarting - will try to remember to ask her at the weekend.
Sue

".... Albeit he had a strong American accent, he suddenly came out with the word "blarting" My wife and I looked at each other and wondered if it was also an American expression. Making further enquiries we discovered that the American was born and bred in Walsall, England. "

Great little story this ! :)

Yes, I see now that Blarting is the spelling. It immediately turned up in Google when I used it, and with the link to the Black Country.

As well as the first meaning that I recognise - of prolonged, childish crying, I also recognise the second meaning re: Blarting out of a secret or something that shouldn't be said at the given time / in the given situation. Eg "We told him not to tell anybody but he went and blarted it out in front of the whole family!"

Thanks all

;-)

I think the word is actually blurting out a secret and not blarting.

My mom used to tell me to stop blarting - I used to cry a lot when I was a child (sensitive kid!) - and my brother would say 'stop grizzling'

Anthea

Carolina, I think you will find the word is 'blurting' out (just checked in dictionary to be on the safe side !!!!)

Anthea

Please sir, David Weaver said you were a hopeless teacher blarted out my best mate, in class, and then went home blarting to his mother because he received a thick ear. Regards, David.

Blarting (crying) was a word I often heard my Grand parents (from Aston) use but never my Mom and Dad who were also 'Brummies' although my Moms Grand parents where from Koblenz Germany. Eric Muller was his name, hence my name. Eric

Yes I remember my Mom telling me to stop blarting but here is another word for you all to mull over. Were you ever told to stop SCRAWPIN, (my spelling is suspect) ? My Mom was a Black Country girl married to a Brummie so it might be a Black Country term.

SCRAWPIN = scratching your head.

Yes, perry commoner my husband is Brummie too and he says it, I hadn't heard it before.
rosie.

Thank you Rosie, that's brilliant. Nice to know that that word is still about. I have never heard it outside of my family. Keep Scrawpin!!!!!!!!!

When asked what was for dinner, my Mum frequently replied "Chump handles and chair knobs!". I've never heard it used by anyone else. She had a mother from Hockley and a father from Lye, in the Black Country.
Meanwhile, my Grandfather would often send me with a jug and money to "The Outdoor". Everywhere else I've lived, other than Birmingham, it is known as the "Off Licence" or "Off Sales".

My brother used to tell me to 'stop grizzeling' (crying) anyone heard of that one?
My Gran used to send me to the Outdoor with a jug and money to collect her tipple (can't remember what it was though - so many years ago !

Anthea,

Yes, grizzeling, but my mom didn't like 'blarting' or 'babby' - she thought they were rather 'low'. :)

Maurice

Back