• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Park

Two more from Sunday

Attachments

• 18th May 2014 Sunday 009.jpg
    18th May 2014 Sunday 009.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 18th May 2014 Sunday 012.jpg
    18th May 2014 Sunday 012.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 15
I made a rare visit to Sutton Park last Friday 8th Aug and met these ponies. The park looks as good as it ever did. The pool in the 2nd pic I think is called 'Little Bracebridge'.

Attachments

• P1020878 (Medium).JPG
    P1020878 (Medium).JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 25
  • P1020880 (Medium).JPG
    P1020880 (Medium).JPG
    216 KB · Views: 33
​Blackroot Pool today 3rd April

Blackroot Pool looks so peaceful these days! Back in the 1950s we used to have an annual school trip (from Christ Church Primary School, West Bromwich) to Sutton Park. We piled onto two or three hired Corporation buses (three to a seat) and the main part of the trip was when we went to Blackroot for boat trips, ice-creams etc. It was almost like the seaside! We would eat our packed lunches on the grass if it was fine or in a sort of barn building by the pool if it was wet.
The trip ended with a visit to the fun-fair near the Town Gate, where we would enjoy a ride on the miniature railway and that wonderful old Victorian 'peacocks and dragons' roundabout with the organ playing. Happy days! Haven't been to Sutton Park for years, now I'm living near Leicester.

​Near Bracebridge pool today

Attachments

• 30th September 2014 Tuesday 017.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 017.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 30th September 2014 Tuesday 018.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 018.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 30th September 2014 Tuesday 019.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 019.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 30th September 2014 Tuesday 020.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 020.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 12
Blimey, that takes me back to my youth, Morturn, such a shame you can't catch a steam train, to Sutton Coldfield, and then enter the park and visit the fair, all gone along with my youth.Paul

Blimey, that takes me back to my youth, Morturn, such a shame you can't catch a steam train, to Sutton Coldfield, and then enter the park and visit the fair, all gone along with my youth.Paul

one thing different,,,,,,,,,,,,, we used to walk there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, still able to walk in the Great Park

I recently photographed this tree near Bracebridge Pool, how would it have got to this shape?
Something must have happened in it's early life. There is another tree behind it which has a twisted shape.
Sam_0898.jpg

Last edited:
​Near Bracebridge pool today
Hey Dave if you'd have looked very carefully you'd have seen the form of a boy watching you from the bushes, he slowly turned into an old man of eighty one in the Australian bush. Thank you for reawakening lovely memories of my park. Kind regards, David.

Hey Old Mohawk, that tree grew like that because some yoke,l belonging to Bishop Vesey's household, accidently sat a maiden on it while he plighted his troth. Kind regards, David.

Hey Old Mohawk, that tree grew like that because some yoke,l belonging to Bishop Vesey's household, accidently sat a maiden on it while he plighted his troth. Kind regards, David.
Hi David, that yokel of yours must have sat more than one maiden on trees because looking at the pic in #1271 I can see three strange trees, one just showing on the left, and in the pic below another in the distance. Perhaps when there was a mill on the lake, a young lad with time to spare, decided to make full size 'bonsai' trees to puzzle future visitors. The pool had clouds floating in it on the day I was there as can be seen in the other pic.
It might be interesting to take some pics to make 'then and now' pics matched against the many old photos of Sutton Park. I did once try it with one of my pics shown in #372
Phil
oldmohawk

Attachments

• CrookTree.jpg
    CrookTree.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Lakeclouds.JPG
    Lakeclouds.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 11
​Tuesday 30th Sept, Blackroot Pool and nearby

Attachments

• 30th September 2014 Tuesday 004.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 004.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 30th September 2014 Tuesday 006.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 006.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 30th September 2014 Tuesday 021.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 021.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 10
  • 30th September 2014 Tuesday 022.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 022.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 30th September 2014 Tuesday 026.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 026.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 10
​Bracebridge Pool

Attachments

• 30th September 2014 Tuesday 027.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 027.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 30th September 2014 Tuesday 028.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 028.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 30th September 2014 Tuesday 029.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 029.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 20
Near Streetly Gate

Attachments

• 30th September 2014 Tuesday 030.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 030.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 30th September 2014 Tuesday 031.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 031.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 30th September 2014 Tuesday 032.jpg
    30th September 2014 Tuesday 032.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 18
Are there ANY of the OLD racing cyclist that remember racing at Sutton park? If my memory serves me Sutton park had ONE pretty stiff hill on the circuit. I did take 2nd in one race there in the early 50s. John Crump OldBrit, Parker. Colorado USA

The only big thing I remember from the 50's, was the 1957 Scout Jamboree, what sight it was, with scouts from all over the world, I remember the German contingent being made a special fuss of, I believe it was their first involvement Internationally since WW2. I went with our scout group from Bartley Green, and tasted my very first "Coca Cola", on the American stand. Paul

John, I remember those days. Bob Maitland, Tommy Godwin etc..all great racing cyclists. Sutton Park was a regular cycle racing circuit. I still have a programme from September 1950 for a 110 mile cycling race (6 laps) starting in Eachelhurst Road, Pype Hayes. The course was Pype Hayes - Castle Bromwich - Water Orton - Coleshill - Bassetts Pole - Whitehouse Common - Walmley - Pype Hayes. 1st Prize: £7-0-0; 2nd Prize: £5-0-0; 3rd Prize: £3-0-0. Those were the days!!! Eddie.

Eddie what a fantastic memory you have. My brothers late friend Ricky used to take part but I can't remember his last name as I was only very young at the time.

Eddie I was a Junior rider in 1950 but still raced against Bob Maitland several times, even got third to him in a NCU Champ 25tt. In those days IF you belonged to the NCU you could NOT race on the roads, you had to race massed starts in Parks or Aerodromes. I raced a lot on Long Lawford Aerodrome, in fact I pranged out and broke both of my wrists there, but still finished in the pack. We also raced at Handsworth Park a few times. The BLRC did race on the roads, but I never signed up with them. I have a photo of Sutton Park race but cant seem to download it? John Crump OldBrit, Parker. Colorado USA

As an inhabitant of Birmingham, but born on the other side of the road in Sutton Coldfield, we always pulled the 'resident' when we entered either via Boldmere or Banners Gate, very occasionally Wyndley. We usually walked there. Either via Antrobus Road and along Boldmere Road or via the crossroads at Chester Road/College Road. There was also a route via walkways off Chester Road. Going to BVGS, meant that in Spring,Summer & Autumn I would cycle thro' the Park to school. In uniform, you did not have to bother with resident and of course school rules (uniform must be worn at all times) meant that entry with or without the family was automatic. We had a cross country course that went in through the gate off Lichfield Road and was quite a difficult course. The national schools army cadet corps annual run was held there once. And yes of course we did all our swimming at Blackroot, cold, cold Blackroot. The miniature railway and the fair were familiar attractions and of course for many years the Chipmans from Court Lane gave Donkey rides down by fairground. I remember the cycle races with Maitland et al, do you remember how the non professionals were often used as pacemakers for the stars? I also remember the POW camp with the Germans in their brown uniforms with different coloured patches on the back. I assume La Reseve has gone reading between the lines. I remember that opening and perhaps someone can update me Wyndley Leisure Centre? It was not there when I was a lad. Wyndley was always considered like Four Oaks and Streetley to be one of the 'posh gates'. No question whether you were a resident or not, if you looked right you were in. Mind you some of those Parkies in their green? uniforms and peaked caps could be quite challenging, especially if they saw you smoking. Thanks for all the memories, you have brought quite a lot back.

Photo here of quite a famous couple visiting Sutton Park for the World Scout Jamboree in 1957. I was only 14 at the time and quite pleased with the photograph, which was taken on a very basic camera. Amazing and pleasing to think that 57 years later the royal couple are still with us. Dave
P1020041.JPG

I didn't know this about the coat of arms.

Attachments

• sutton prk.jpg
    sutton prk.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 27
Back