• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Things you said when you was a kid

Little pigs have big ears, heard it loads of times when Gran and Mom were having a private conversation,.

My Father in Law's was 'Little pigs have big ears' - meaning take care what you say in front of small children they take it in without letting on. Then may embarrass by repeating it later in company.

I was brung up in Sparkbrook and later went to school and also worked in Handsworth which being on the other side of the city could have been another planet. Sometimes people would ask where Sparkbrook was and I would say "Between Sparkhill and Balsall Heath, most had heared of Balsall Heath as it was a tough area and some people wouldn't go there after dark (I'm talking 1950's).
Not only would you hear things called different names ie. Bombsite v Bomdpeck you even had upper or lower class of talking, I was always being told by my parents not to talk like (fill in name of kids I played in the horse road or our street)
Mind you my parents were foreigners as Dad was from Buckinghamshire and Mom from Elmdon Heath
Dad had many witty sayings, one was in reply to someone claiming to have been brought up at Eton, "You look more like you was Eaten and brought up!!" Cheers Tim.

Juju's were fine but don't suck the Kaylii too fast or you'll cough for a fortnight and then look for your lungs for another week and Granny White's toffee apples would clamp your jaws together better than the glue made from horses hooves. Kind regards, David.

Back