• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 50's & 60's there were quite a few streets, lanes and other location that had the prefix "The" as can be seen from this old A to Z. This copy of the page should enlarge enough to make it readable.

Attachments

• img332.jpg
    img332.jpg
    979.4 KB · Views: 50
Do you say Bull Ring or The Bull Ring? We have a Bull Yard, but people of my generation and before call it The Bull Yard.

I always knew it as The Bull Ring. The developers made it one word.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I suppose it could be argued that "The Bull Ring" was a place, but now, when talking about "The Bullring", it is a building

In the 50's & 60's there were quite a few streets, lanes and other location that had the prefix "The" as can be seen from this old A to Z. This copy of the page should enlarge enough to make it readable.
Thanks Phil - quite a list, I see there are four 'The Broadways'. I suppose general usage decided whether a thoroughfare had the prefix 'The'. Looking at your list I noticed 'The Sandpits' in Bournville and out of interest looked on Google maps at a road I always knew as Sandpits between Summer Hill Rd and central Birmingham and it was listed as Sand Pits and a look on on streetview at a road name sign confirms this.

Quinton used to be The Quinton, The church used to have a notice board headed, "The Parish of Christchurch the Quinton". When I was little the bus was always referred to as The Quinton 9 and Alan Deddicote, the voice of the balls, on the National Lottery when the number 9 came up one day, he called it The Quinton 9.

Years ago the US Postal Service deleted the word "The" from place names. The only one to survive was The Bronx in New York.

They were caught in the changing world of Birmingham in the 1960s
They look worried the Aston Expressway route is
decided, its coming through their world !

Ada and Norah chatting over what's left of their garden fence somewhere in Sparkbrook 1960. They have probably seen many changes .

Click pics to enlarge.

Last edited:
I think pic 1 is Park ROAD not park STREET, going by position of Aston Church, would suggest pic taken just below junction of Sycamore RD, used to live at the back in Vicarage RD in 50's until 1962 so knew area pretty well. The Lady in the middle looks familiar but cannot put a name to her, recognise Mays Gates, used to make ornamental metal gates to order, just below I can see the Avenue pub top of Queens road, where I was born (not the pub but Queens Road) in 1930 Eric

Last edited:
You are correct Eric I had noticed that. It is an old Evening Mail pic with a wrong caption. The pic is among a group here.

Last edited:
Hi cookie
Well spotted and a good memory yes it was park road and I also knew because I was always up and down there
Every day of the week. Either on foot or on the 39 bus either going to the church as I. Was a choir boy along with my two older brothers
For five Bob week or on play days on Saturday or Sunday afternoons especially in the summer months
It was always packed with the posh kids whom come to spend the day there with there parents visiting Aston hall
If we was tired for running around the whole place we would look for masons lemonade pop bottles and get the penny bus ride back up
The big hill of park red and then get off at the top and walk down upper Portland street to mattys radios and TV as we would be home there
Nice to know you are an Aston kid did you or not did live one time in Ladywood barker street during the sixtys best wishes astonian,,,,,

NO Astonian, never lived in Ladywood or that side of Brum, lived in Aston (1930-35) then Sheldon (1935-39), then Shirley (during the war years) back to Aston (1944) ( then Erdington 1962 and finally Chelmsley Wood in 1987 where I have been ever since. Was in RAF 1948 to 1956, 8 years mostly spent overseas. I remember the 39 bus and the 3X tram before that, used them often 1d child 2d adult. Eric

Another great pic oldMo - thank you.

Lots of women wore scalves - even some with curlers underneath.
What happened to ladies scalves ? - I assume they became unfashionable ?

Pinafores too Stephen! (#1239) Lovely wraparound ones. Mom use to tie her scarf in a turban as she did when she worked in a factory.
rosie.

Pinnies are back thanks to the upsurge of baking, cupcakes, bake offs etc etc. And there are some lovely ones out there. So nice to see some of these old ideas come around again. Personally I'm waiting for the silk headscarf revival so I can wear mine to drive my open top Corvette - preferably on the Riviera. (Soooo wanted to be Audrey Hepburn!). Oh silly me, I don't have a Corvette. But I did used to wear a headscarf in bed sometimes 'cos it made your hair glossy in the morning. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Goode_St_(33).jpgahh phil thats one of favourite photos...taken in villa st just opposite my house...i remember that lady...she looks like shes about to clatter the photographer lol

now what do you think about this one...just what is that man staring on the washing line...not some ladies bloomers i hope lol

lyn

Not tied into a turban but there is nothing wrong with a head scarf
queen_headscarf_gallery__600x400-420x0.jpg

My 'pinny searcher' has found one in this pic, in fact bracers, waistcoats, flat caps, all sorts, and I could teach that bloke on the ladder how to use ladders properly ! We had flags house to house across our street for the Queen's coronation.
1000.jpg

Last edited:
My 'pinny searcher' has found one in this pic, in fact bracers, waistcoats, flat caps, all sorts, and I could teach that bloke on the ladder how to use ladders properly ! We had flags house to house across our street for the Queen's coronation.
1000.jpg

Original pic here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21690&p=422536#post422536

The little lad on the left behind the pram has on a romper suit - the shorts with integral braces. Ah bless. You could knit them, which I think most expectant mums did. The boy in the photo seems to have a fabric pair, probably the next stage made of corduroy because he was a big boy now. Don't see those outfits these days. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gudday young Astonian, nice to see you're round and about. Over here today the wind is strong enough to blow the dog off the chain. Kind Regards, David.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back