• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Thanks Bernie, my families lived in Pope Street and Camden Drive so the George and Dragon was their watering hole.
Haven't seen that photo before, it's lovely - and yes Lyn I think the scaffolding's still up, they've only kept the facade and were supposed to be building a wine bar and apartments there. Goodness knows what'll happen now, I think the company went bust.

charlie like you i have feared for that pub for years now and as we all know the longer a building is left as this one is the more chance us losing it for good....

lyn

My families lived in Pope street also Camden Drive Like Charli ,i love the photo of the pub, first photo i have seen of Pope st.

Hi Dottie
Hope you are well and that you are enjoying life
That pub many years ago was mainly lunch h time customers as it became habit of an industrial area and was always packed out mainly
By bulpitts work force at lunch times and area other factory workers even the local firemen when off duty
Obvisiously this would be rpthe fortys and through till the sixty s and seventys
We always found it to beabit of a drab pub at even I band week ends so we stopped going there and used the rose ville pub
Up around the big clock at warstone lane which was a cracking pub at one time in the fortys and fifths and up until the mid sixties
When it changed hands and turned around and became a gangesters pub of crimms and then the police got wind of it and started to frequent it
At night times and then they frightened them off this is the early sixties I am speaking of but now its back to high standard,s
A complete turn around butting back to the pope street pub it was always a dismil pub right u
Until they demoed the area we also used the free house down and around the block
Have a great day best wishes. Astonian,,,,,,

I spent 6 years in a back to back when I left the RAF, 1956 to 62 at 1/128 Vicarage road Aston but compared to those depressing pics it was like a palace !!. It shows the strength of caricature of the people to surmount such squalor. Eric

Not seen it before Lyn, an interesting photo. Looks early 1900s. The boy in the passageway entrance seems to be on the lookout and one of the little boy is probably wiping his nose on his sleeve! Some houses look deserted. When I see these photos I always think of the huge numbers of people living in courts, must have been a real shock moving into new housing. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hi viv yes i agree with you about the huge numbers that lived in the courts...sometimes 12 or more in a little 2 up 1 down...its hard to imagine just how they mangaged...love your assumption about the little lad wiping his nose on his sleeve lol...

lyn

Well that's what sleeves were meant for weren't they Lyn ?!!! Having said that I loved a hankie, with a bit of lace or embroidery. When I was sent to a childminder in the 50s I loved to sniff my hankie 'cos it reminded me of my mum..... sob, sniff, sob, sniff ! Viv.

Well that's what sleeves were meant for weren't they Lyn ?!!! Having said that I loved a hankie, with a bit of lace or embroidery. When I was sent to a childminder in the 50s I loved to sniff my hankie 'cos it reminded me of my mum..... sob, sniff, sob, sniff ! Viv.

ahh bless you viv lol.. just took me back to where i was born in our nans back to back....the smell of lavender always reminds me of the tins of purple polish in a round tin...sunday morning was always our nans good bottoming of her little palace..considering there was our mom and dad..nan..me and my brother in the 2 up 1 down with small scullery the place was always spic and span..

lyn

Ooooh lavender polish Lyn, there's nothing quite like it. Makes a home a home. And 'bottoming' haven't heard that in years, or done it in years Lol. Viv.

Ooooh lavender polish Lyn, there's nothing quite like it. Makes a home a home. And 'bottoming' haven't heard that in years, or done it in years Lol. Viv.

lol viv get a move on then lol...yes bottoming is a very old saying...dont hear it said very often...

Wiping nose on sleeve made me chuckle. Make do with what you've got. This reminded me that if there was a hole in your sock.....no problem. Just pull the sock down a bit and the hole disappeared. With a long pair of socks they would last at least a month, and a piece of elastic around the top to hold up what was left. Eddie.

What was that little rhyme we used to say when wiping our noses on our gansy sleeve, 'There's the church and there's the people wipe up quick and there's the steeple.'Regards, David

Hi there
I have got a book called the sinister side of birmingam with all but most of the court yards with
People showing and the crimms of in the court yards around Aston and various districts
And the picture of the peeky blinders with there caps on whom lived in Clyde road and various picture of people
And there wicked. Crimes. In the Victorian days murder was 9 months in prison same for manslaughter
When you look at today's. Judgement its gone back in time along with the story of the in divisional family and of mug shots
Well I am off now to stourport carol,s neck of the woods as there is a week end of country and western music today
For the whole week ends good top bands like magil his fan club is massive they will. E from all over the country
He his appearing tomorrow down by the river free addition pay at carpark fee for parking that's reasonable or get free parking a.long the roads
There his a host of bands today and the fields of line dancers if you are up to it magil is acompanedwith other country and western singers another one is paul built
If any of his fans out there held also there tommoroww
Have a great day best wishes astonian,,,, Alan,,,

Thanks for posting the picture Lyn. That would be exactly how my family lived in Pope Street at the turn of the century up until the 1930s.
Not the best of housing was it? Still ... the George and Dragon was within staggering distance!

Back