• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Brenda it was Baz that started the 'vile' thread.
Nan used to say meat was 'rawmy' meaning well past it's sell by date.
and Fartin', meaning meagre,

Maybe it was Farthing, Nico,, as in a quarter of a penny. Coin has a wren on it and I remember buying some bread for a penny three farthings. Long time ago for sure, Kind regards, David
Actually Brenda it was Baz that started the 'vile' thread.
Nan used to say meat was 'rawmy' meaning well past it's sell by date.
and Fartin', meaning meagre,

I think she said as what I said David, knowing her, but I remember the farthings too we had some on the mantle shelf (which wasn't a proper mantle shelf but that's what we called it) I used to play with them. I know before my time they would buy a farthings worth of toffee. Nan called it taffy. The sweet shop she went to was called Taffy Coopers.
Did you say thruppence or threppance?
My partner asked me if the bread was enough yesterday and I answered 'eaps, and she looked at me gone out. Do people still say gone out?

I find when I try to recall old sayings, some come to mind but others come back out of the blue, the other day my son in law said something cheeky to me, I said you cheeky appeth. Another one I had forgotten.

Yes, they just come in to your head don't they. Nan used to say to me 'ya daft apeth.' Or 'ers a proper little madam. Or 'I saw old mother so and so' (she was probably younger than Nan too). I have a Brummie friend Faye Garrison who is a writer, one of her books is called A Postcript to Feyther, I would have written that as Fairther, as that's what she meant (her dad). Another is called Poppies in the Corn.

Just saw Alan Carr on TV and I said he's vile (vyulle) then my mum's saying, he get's on my half water melon. She also said, I think I have got a case of the screaming ab dabs.

Another expression I've not heard any other than Brummies use.

If someone was sticking their nose into your business, the dialogue would go, (for example), . . "What ya goin' in there for ?"
The reply would be "Moind it !".

Another expression I've not heard any other than Brummies use.

If someone was sticking their nose into your business, the dialogue would go, (for example), . . "What ya goin' in there for ?"
The reply would be "Moind it !".
Nan would say that, "see that?" pointing at her nose and glaring "moind it" usually to dad and if it was me, " it's fer me ta know an yow ta wonder"

If something had got damp and smelled of mould Mom used to say it had gone "frowsty" or cheese was "reesty". I don't if that Brummie or not?
rosie.

A cat lick. What my mom used to say if i hadn`t washed properly. Glarnies, something to do with marbles? Acky 123, something to do with hide & seek?, & my favourite, She`s/He`s got a face as long as Livery Street (someone who`s miserable).

If someone gave you a short drink measure nan would say, did they just show it the barman's apron?. If you hadn't washed your ears properly, yow can grow taters in them!. Another of my gran's said of someone's hair, it's as straight as a yard of pump water.

A cat lick. What my mom used to say if i hadn`t washed properly. Glarnies, something to do with marbles? Acky 123, something to do with hide & seek?, & my favourite, She`s/He`s got a face as long as Livery Street (someone who`s miserable).

smudger our mom used to say a cat lick and promise....also if we hadnt got much time for a proper wash she would say..have a quick swill...if someone had a miserable face she would say...shes got a face as long as a wet weekend..

lyn

'ea guzz Nico, Threpence or a threpny bit. Threpence aapny and a pennythree farthins. For what I remember a loaf of bread always seemed to have a farthing attached to the price even into the late forties and if the price went up by an aafpenny the baker was likely to get a gobfull. Regards, David.

A quick wash in our place was a Top and Tail, Lick and a Promise or a Catholic which I presume was a Cat Lick. If you left a dirty ring around your neck someone would shout out, 'The tide Daint come in very far today, David'. Kind regards and isn't it surprising what is hidden in the dark recesses of an old mind?

If I remember correctly "Glarnies" were the big glass marbles which were very prized possessions.

'ea guzz Nico, Threpence or a threpny bit. Threpence aapny and a pennythree farthins. For what I remember a loaf of bread always seemed to have a farthing attached to the price even into the late forties and if the price went up by an aafpenny the baker was likely to get a gobfull. Regards, David.
Well are David, if an item was poor quality Nan would describe it as tupperny aperny, if somebody was punched, they got a forpenny one. She also said if I fell over, you'll be as right as ninepence.

We said rally rally rally one two three. If a person was poor "they oodn't ave tow apenies to rub tagether," or if Nan had no money she would be down to her last brass farthing. Of a mean person, "they wouldn't give yer the drippins off he end of their nose!" At school I was told that bred n' drippin was pronounced dripping.

AH Yes;
Another old saying wash your ears out other wise you will get cabbages growing out of your ears
followed by people or other kids if seen with a big hole on the heel of one of your socks kids would say you have got a spud in your socks
Mate or get ribbed if you went to school with a pair of boots from the digbeth police station especialy with a nice pair of knee high socks on
funded by the evening christmas funds they all knew where you got them from and it was a day when at least 2 dozen kids in the school turn up looking all the same best wishes Astonian;;

hi Austin k ;
Our kid used to used that expression when we was kids and went to upper thomas street school and we would play shots of three
and he used to asked us to run down the road [ lichfield rd ] to mr taylors toy shop and fetch a bag of glarinies
and when i said that to mr taylor he knew what i wanted a bag of marbles and he would produce two bags of marbles two different bags and two different coloursd and he would say what cpolour you want then i would choose is colour for him
some times he would lose every one and some times he would come more than he went with
as kids when playing shots of three we would use our what we called the gobbie the large marble or a bear bearing but some kids did not want you to use it in the game and say no gobbies or bearings then also you would be by the school wall and look for a crevis in the tarmto stick your tinest marbles in and hope they never kissed your marbal other wise you loose what your set of marbals you placed out
and they came in little sacks for a tanner at old taylors best wishes Astonian

Eye up! and water water everywhere and not a drop to drink. A bit older than my nan then. She called a lady with a short leg, ock eye. Her walks ock eyed.

Had an e-mail from Virgin Trains today offering discounted fares from London to Birmingham. It was entitled "Brum without the brumbrum". Either "brumbrum" means hassle or it is a term used for a motor car. Any other ideas? Dave

I heard it used when I was little! It does mean cars, a far as I know, or similar vehicles. When we had a moke ( home-made wooden cart) we used to say "Brooom Brooom" as we went along!!
Happy Days!
rosie.

Up here, in the North West, glossy TV commercials are appearing, encouraging us to visit Brum.

Considering that there's Liverpool and Manchester in this area you can't knock Brum for trying !

And me brum! brum! for my little cars. A brum brum was a car to me, here they say pap pap. And fairy cycle? I also said puffer train or chuff chuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back