• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Norman Gidney. The Billesley Millionaire

I am searching for info on Norman Gidney who lived in Eastham Rd. Billesley. He attended Billesley Infants School and went on to become a multi millionaire. I know about the collapse of his empire and the monies from the Pension Fund. What I need is his life from School to Millionaire! His...
  2. B

Local Home Guard. Billesley Area

Hi All. Here are two pics of my father in the Home Guard, problem is I don't know where he was based, it might have been Hall Green or Kings Heath, if anyone can identify the pics or people I would be grateful.My father is at the end of the table in the "Home Guard" pic and third from the left...
  3. B

When will they ever learn?

Our lads go out so full of hope To fight a war so far away Again they go so ill equipped When will we ever learn? We fight a foe we do not know A people who wish that we would go A culture alien to us all When will we ever learn? Then fight us using homemade bombs We react with...
  4. B

Swanshurst Farm

When Swanshurst Farm was demolished one of the new houses built in Swanshurst Lane was called "Berry Mound" built on the site of the old farm. I took a look today but can't find it, anyone know where it is or what No the house is? Photos replaced
  5. B

Murder of Maureen Hill in Billesley

Hi All. When I was a child about 13yrs old I remember seeing blood on the pavement on the corner of Chells Grove & Chinnbrook Rd after a man had stabbed a woman, the blood was there for a long time and it has stuck in my mind but I cannot find any info about it. I was 13 yrs old in 1959! so 5...
  6. B

Car Showroom

Does anyone have any info or pics of the old car showroom in Poplar Rd Kings Heath? I was talking to the owners daughter who has lost all her pics and memorabellia due to a burglary and the fact that it has been vandalised and is now uninhabitable.
  7. B

Broadspeed Cars

Does anyone remember "Broadspeed" on the Stratford Rd in Sparkhill? They produced mini's that looked like minature Aston Martins with the fish tale, I believe they started with a mini van.Was it started by Ralph Broad? Is it still in business, I know that it left Birmingham several years ago...
  8. B

Canal Cottage, (yardley Wood) Stratford -on -avon Canal

Hi All. Just been today to photograph this cottage before it gets vandalised, it's been up for sale for several months and it appears that a lot of work will be required to restore it and there is no vehicle access, it's rumered to be 200 years old!
  9. B

Pinfold House Mansfield Road Yardley

Talking to a friend the other day I was supprised to hear that Pinfold House is now empty and vandals have broken in and started to distroy it, has it been bought by a developer?I thought it had Grade 2 listing:(:(
  10. B

Field Gate Farmhouse, Acocks Green

In the Mail today 12th Dec there is story in the old suppliment dated 15th Dec 1977 about the demise of Field Gate Farmhouse and that it was to be demolished, brick by brick, did this happen and if so what happened to the bricks and was it rebuilt? Also where along Yardley Rd was it?
  11. B

Microsoft office

I cleaned out a lot of rubbish to gain more memory and now when I try to go to Word I get: the application failed to initalize properly (OxcOOOOOO5) click ok to terminate the application and at the bottom of the screen: WINWORD.EXE I cant find the disc for office as it was put on several years...
  12. B

Balsall Heath pics

Hi Christy. Here are the pics I found on the Net. Hope they are not the ones you put on !
  13. B

Achilles Sierres

Does anyone remember a dry cleaning company called something like "Archie Sares" My Aunt worked for them and used to bring me a model to build, you cut the pieces from a flat carboard pack which was printed with a signwritten van? It would have been about 1955-1962
  14. B

learning to drive

When dad worked at Cadbury's he bought an old Ford "Sit up and beg" for £5-00, this had been passed around the workers who always bought and sold it for £5-00 and each persons son used to learn to drive in it. It was a pig to start in the winter due to the 6 volt system and luckily we lived at...
  15. B

James Johnson gravestone Fulford Hall Rd

Hi All. This is just outside the Birmingham area but someone might know about it. Several years ago I was driving down Fulford Hall Rd which is off Norton Lane Earlswood & I spotted this gravestone on the right hand side of the road, since then it has been damaged when the hedge was cut but...
  16. B

Billesley Infant, Junior & Senior Schools

Did any of our forum members go to Billesley School? I went to all of them from Infants to Seniors. First day through the metal gates, past the airaid shelter up to the wooden huts on the left at the back, toilets outside at opposite ends of the playground, the boat in the playground, I'm afraid...
  17. B

Learning to ride a bike

My first bike was an old "sit up and beg" black bike bought from a neighbour and my first lesson had me sitting on it with my father behind me holding on the saddle, "you peddle and I will hold you" he said, so I peddled as hard as I could. I was doing well so I turned my head to find that Dad...
  18. B

Holy Cross Church Billesley

Hi All. As a child we used to play at Holy Cross Church. Beauchamp Rd. Billesley. Birmingham and I am convinced that there were grave stones along the side of the Church, during discussions with locals some said they remember them, other not. The Church members said that there were no graves but...
  19. B

Home Guard

Hi All. I am looking for info about my father who was in the Home Guard in the Kings Heath/Billesley area and was also a despatch rider,His name was Herbert Haylor.I have looked on the websites linked to this website with no luck. Thanks. Peter Haylor
  20. B

What was the best Generation

Hi All. What generation had the best life? I would say the generation born after WW2, my generation....... Born 1946 into a new world,new health service,etc
Back