• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Field Gate Farmhouse, Acocks Green

bilsat

master brummie
In the Mail today 12th Dec there is story in the old suppliment dated 15th Dec 1977 about the demise of Field Gate Farmhouse and that it was to be demolished, brick by brick, did this happen and if so what happened to the bricks and was it rebuilt?
Also where along Yardley Rd was it?

Hi Bilsat,I did have a look for some info re the census etc,but all I could see was Field Gate Cottages,there were 3 of them (if I remember correctly) but I couldn't see a farmhouse! I think I had a look on the Electoral Rolls as well,and couldn't see it,so I didn't post!!:rolleyes:

I did a search on google. There is a mention of Field Gate Farm on the BGFL site. But nothing except to say it was Tudor. I think perhaps, Birmingham Library would be a good place to enquire.

Hi All.
Your search Suemalings is the right farm as the Mails article said it was of Tudor origin, it just seems strange that a farm and building can vanish of the face of the earth with no trace!
Ladylinda where does the census say the cottages were/are and when?
Thanks
Pete

Hi Bilsat,I looked at the 1901 census which shows a place labelled "The Farm" as uninhabited.,then there is a couple of houses,then 3 cottages called Field Gate Cottages,then "The Wharf",then Brighton Place,Yardley Rd,Albert Terrace,Yardley Rd,shop,Sheldon Lodge,then Olton Lodge on the Census sheets.In the other direction were some larger houses.Peoples name at one of the cottages were Thomas and Mary Jones,aged 73. At another the family were Martha Bullock and a William and George Smith and at another was a William and Caroline Heffer or Haffer. I think if someone could come up with a map of the area we could pinpoint it.My maps don't cover that part of Brum.On the 1901 census it was labelled RG13 2922.After looking on the 1891 and 1881 census,I think it was near to the canal not far from Augusta Rd?
Hope this helps!

there was an old cottage standing on the canel around that time. I dont know if it was taken down brick by brick or demolished. there,s a pair of semis there now.

The map c 1912 shows the wharf. Stockfield road is the one coming down on the left, so field gate farm must be the building in red, though it is not named on the 1912 or 1890 maps, or, as far as I can see, in any directory
Mike

fieldgate_farm_c_1912.jpg

Back