• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Murder of Maureen Hill in Billesley

bilsat

master brummie
Hi All.
When I was a child about 13yrs old I remember seeing blood on the pavement on the corner of Chells Grove & Chinnbrook Rd after a man had stabbed a woman, the blood was there for a long time and it has stuck in my mind but I cannot find any info about it. I was 13 yrs old in 1959! so 5 years either side of this date would cover it.......................I am writing a book about Billesley and I already have one murder! Any info,memories or pics would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Pete

Thanks to a person who lived in Chells Grove I now know that it was a Mrs Maureen Hill, aged 37 with 4 children who had only moved in a few days before, still awaiting more info.

Bilsat, I would think that this event would have been reported in the 1959 newspapers and there may be pictures too in the archives. Anthea.

I have contacted the West MIdlands Police Museum to see if they have any info, I have found out it occurred in April 1964.

I saw the murder happen , My brother and I were playing in the grove at the time he stabbed her outside NO3 chells grove .
He cut his arms whilst stabbing her and went around the grove for bandages

This post prompted me to join this forum. I was searching for information on this event as it plays on my mind to this day. I was seven years old and witnessed the murder at close hand. Oddly the images now are stronger than ever. I was playing in the grove with mates on the grass. I lived in Chinnbrook Road but often played in the grove with my pal Chris. There was shouting and we all stopped as a lady ran into the grove. A man was chasing her, and another man was chasing him yelling and screaming but I can't recall any words. The woman was caught near the top of the grove and the man began stabbing her. I remember the noise of this. We just stared. I don't think we could comprehend what was going on. People were coming out of the houses and telling us to look away, turn around. Someone covered the victim with a blanket. Another man was crying and crying and being comforted. I think he'd been trying to stop it happening. My images are actually more graphic but maybe too much for this forum. The memory has never left me and I think the event has coloured many aspects of my life. No counselling in those day of course! But now the memory seems stronger than ever. Very strange. And yes, the dark stain on the pavement seemed to last forever.

This post prompted me to join this forum. I was searching for information on this event as it plays on my mind to this day. I was seven years old and witnessed the murder at close hand. Oddly the images now are stronger than ever. I was playing in the grove with mates on the grass. I lived in Chinnbrook Road but often played in the grove with my pal Chris. There was shouting and we all stopped as a lady ran into the grove. A man was chasing her, and another man was chasing him yelling and screaming but I can't recall any words. The woman was caught near the top of the grove and the man began stabbing her. I remember the noise of this. We just stared. I don't think we could comprehend what was going on. People were coming out of the houses and telling us to look away, turn around. Someone covered the victim with a blanket. Another man was crying and crying and being comforted. I think he'd been trying to stop it happening. My images are actually more graphic but maybe too much for this forum. The memory has never left me and I think the event has coloured many aspects of my life. No counselling in those day of course! But now the memory seems stronger than ever. Very strange. And yes, the dark stain on the pavement seemed to last forever.
What a terrible thing for kids to have witnessed the murder. I think hanging was abolished by then too.

a terrible sight for anyone to witness let alone children....if you subscribe to the british newspaper archives there is a good chance this was reported in the newspapers

lyn

There are two references from the birmingham post.
View attachment 139222View attachment 139223
Thank you so very much, this is really helpful. I think that little grove has had more than it's fair share of tragedy. And that is the first time I have seen the weapon described as a bayonet because that's exactly how I've always described it myself.
I really appreciate you taking the time to find and post this information. Thank you!

Back