• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canal Cottage, (yardley Wood) Stratford -on -avon Canal

bilsat

master brummie
Hi All.
Just been today to photograph this cottage before it gets vandalised, it's been up for sale for several months and it appears that a lot of work will be required to restore it and there is no vehicle access, it's rumered to be 200 years old!

hi bilsat...what a shame...it looks to be a lovely cottage...well it would with a lot of tlc...thank for posting the pics...

lyn

Thats the one Mike, opposite side of the canal to the bus garage.
Friends looked at buying it last time it was up for sale, but was put off when the couple selling it said they had been broken into 5 times in the previous 2 years.
Bilsat, the last time I saw any work done on the cottage, they lowered material off the bridge into a boat and pulled it along the canal.

Colin

It would be a problem getting your furniture into it then. Ray has an old cottage and to get furniture upstairs we have to take panels out of the ceilings between the beams and up through the bedroom floors.

hello everyone does any one have any more details of the history of this cottage?I know it currently belongs to british waterways and is derelict currently after fire damage from vandals my partner showed it to me for the first time last sunday and i really would like to restore it to its original state and live in it.but the planning looks like it going to be demolished for a new development ahhhhh... anyone any ideas how to get urgent funding for restoration of historical propertys the esate agent does not think it is listed which is a shame. help !

Hi everyone
Canal Cottage (Yardley Wood). This appears as the residence of Thomas Rawbone & his wife Emma (ingram) on the 1881 census. They are part of my family tree

rosieandjim, just from the information available on this site, its not worth anywhere near the £120k asking price in its present state. However looking at the map of the grounds that come with it, it looks very easy to establish an access roadway. This would be the first thing to do in the circumstances. The inside will probably be best stripped right down to the brick work and rebuilt. To do all the work to a good standard, including the grounds, will probably cost you around £500k altogether. Once done someone will have a beautiful home with a great outlook onto the canal. If you could negotiate a lifelong permament mooring on the canal you'd be laughing.

Incredible.
It would make a marvelous hobby if nothing else.
One use would be a wayside inn.
Birmingham canal navigations society could use it as an inn to defray costs with and office upstairs.
What is the asking price?

Oops!
It is somewhat overpriced, though it comes with grounds.
So an inn is still viable.
A nifty solution is volunteer labour.
Smashing project.
With the grounds then there is room for expansion, including landscaping.

I think it had a guide price approaching £230000. It is available with a tremendous amount of overgrown land. When I say overgrown I mean with trees. The building itself is in dire need of renovation before it starts collapsing. With the amount of work needed on the building I wouldn't pay more than £120k for it.

hello everyone.. the auction was on the 14 th sept. the guide price with dixons was 70,000. i have yet to find out what happened as i was unable to organise a mortgage in time and can only hope it didnt sell to the developers who plan to knock it down, cut down all the old trees and build flats on the land...shocking but it appearsthe british waterways (the current owners )and the council dont aseem to think of this as a problem.dispite lots of talk from then in general on conservation and historical preservation money is the key. there are no listing on the site that i could find but the cottage would have to be stripped to the walls and completely redone.. my partner and his family all in the building trades had a costing exercise on it and reckon it could be done if kept within the family.. first conern was the amount of rubbish beeing dumped on the site and over the backs of the ajoining properites and obviously the fire damage and constant vandalisim . so security would be a big part of our expense. i desperately want to restore it preserve the history, live in it .. and also make the canal stretch safer and friendlier .. but reckon the developers will win out as always as money talks . it isnt worth more than 40k according to a survey .the land also has old foundations which look to belong to great western railways due to the iron pegs in the ground with their logo on. am gutted worse than the cottage

Having walked past the cottage today, I think the best option would be to knock it down and build new, however on another site https://www.grannybuttons.com/granny_buttons/2010/08/yardley-wood-cottage-for-sale---or-sold.html#tp points out the clause in the contract
The sale will include an overage provision in the event of additional residential or commercial development
, which means you may end up having to pay more money to British Waterways, at a later date. https://www.propertylawuk.net/propertytransactionsoverage.html maybe that clause put many potential buyers off.

Colin

thanks in touch with granny buttons ourselves.. found out about the overage but prob unaffect us as we want live in it ... just need a mortgage now ... would also love any more info on history of site esp the great western railways bit as difficult to find anything here so far

Never heard of the term Overage but now I have read about it I recall a country councillor getting caught out by it. For interest here is what it means.

what is the result of the auction?

There was a case a few years ago of a wicked man who bought a grade ii listed half timber capacious dwelling s birmingham rural. He demolished it one morning. There was an abundance of hot air high umbrage by self appointed public consciences.
However he was given a nominal fine.
This instance i cite as an index germane as to the kind of cynically ruthless brutality rampant with property speculators in real estate.
British waterways canal side property is slated to be sold off by central govt in a desperate bid to raise cash to support such staggering burdens as the two hundred billion pound per annum nuclear trident submarine fantasmagoria.
Just to put things in proportion as to the breadth and depth of heart rending problems those long suffering administrators have to engage in as political contortionism at fantastic public expense.
Surely the revenue accrued from bw rent could be intelligently applied to maintain and improve and expand canals?

The presence of railway fixings on the land about the quaint cottage is mighty curious. It might well be almost unique in a commingling of canal and rail. Or it could just be dumping.
How in the reign of a month of sundays does an old cottage, admitedly one step removed from self demolition, catch fire unless deliberated?
It is still standing with a roof.
If the lot was sold to build yet more idiotic terribly overpriced flats and there is an override condition on preserving the sitting duck cottage then it could be converted to a well appointed caretaker abode.
It could also be converted to a wayside tavern.

It used be that cumbersome items of furniture which could not be dismantled were ingressed and egressed by removing window frames. Actually often easier than negotiating stairs. But then each job on its merits.

Knowle-dorridge is a railway station. There might have been hanky panky malfeascance with beeching syndrome insanity when junior maniacs were flat out eviscerating like inflamed one arm paper hangers.
I don't know if the sitting duck cottage is nearby, dave.
Anywhere the entire run is premium up for grabs.
The precise nature of an overage is of utmost interest and of course an invaluable provision.
I can't open the atchmnt on it so i'll get specific for edification.

Is there any news of the result of the auction? Or is there an embargo, state secrecy imposition?
One just simply cannot be too careful. Those ostensibly olden railway pieces might be remnants of some kind of bunkerization from the cold war. In all seriousness. (it is of course unlikely the charming cottage was used by the home guard and/or royal observer corps. Though the nazis did use canals for ultra low freuency radio communication.)

I seem to have missed out on something, but what is the reference to the GWR in connection to the cottage, other than that the GWR owned the cnal company after buying the oxford, worc & wolves railway. What surprises me is that as late as 1937 the overgrown area seems to have been neat allotment gardens. presumably this would have continued during the war , because of the dig for victory campaign, but was then let to go to rack & ruin.

canal_cottage_c_1937.JPG

I seem to have missed out on something, but what is the reference to the GWR in connection to the cottage, other than that the GWR owned the cnal company after buying the oxford, worc & wolves railway. What surprises me is that as late as 1937 the overgrown area seems to have been neat allotment gardens. presumably this would have continued during the war , because of the dig for victory campaign, but was then let to go to rack & ruin.

That's a mighty curious portrait of yourself,GM MG. Do you have to bear a Mace of Becoming and Apron of Occasion when you perform august public rigours? A cooper's hammer can work wonders in convening order with something to resound with (big brass bell, metal tablet atop barrel).
The OS mappe is illuminating as even the 1920s there was extensive encroachment of urbanization as suburban ribbon development in neat order; presumably verdant and silvan.
Warstock Lane (I had to squint) is surely within the fiat of Greater extended Metropolitan Birmingham City as incorporated by AoP.
Perhaps there are Over provisions in that act.
Compulsory purchase is only possible because in principle the crown owns all land!
That is a neatly careening stretch of canal.
The march from Lapworth to SuA is straight; as I recall.
Anyway, all said and done, that is perfectly charming.
I see the allotments which are then about the sitting duck pub.
Certainly with so many dwellings about then the fertile ground would have been engaged
Dig for Victory.
It says a great deal as to mental inertia that people have to be told to plant vegetables
fruits herbs to keep alive and healthy.
If the range fell into disuse post WW II, which is mighty curious as rationing obtained through 1954[!],
the trees now in abundance (reported by a correspondent of purview) must be fast growing items and
not massive girth.
Some could be preserved for landscaping, though most can be sacrificed.

The GWR business might be dumping, as near to some chunks that were abandoned and uprooted and chucked.
Of course a lot of metal for scrap recyling. It is possible that a lot of spares were stashed during WW II for speedy repair.
Although the SuA line was hardly strategic. But a nice layby for stockpiling.
Most GWR records were lost when Snow Hill station was obliterated by higher functioning autistic cretinality (literally), so that source is kaput.
Since that area is so urban today then likely condos would fetch premium. Garden complex with marina potential.

Does anyone know what happened of the auction?
Presumably there is some sort of Interwebnet connection which boasts of aggrandizement.
(It might not state who is the ownership. It might have reverted to BW. So God Almighty Himself only knows how the central
government is in desperate need for cash and so only thrilled and delighted to unload what senior permanent civil service wouldn't touch with a barge pole.)

Certainly the GWR presence is a query. One would have thought that those sulks abandoning the allotments because of
appalling apathy would at least have had the intelligent presence of mind to have planted apple, pear, quince, walnut trees.
If they could manage cabbage, onions, spuds then surely they could have managed that....

I used to live in Yardley Wood. I drove down my old road and saw our old house on Tuesday. We felt obliged to move out over a decade ago when the area began to go downhill as we wanted better for our kids. We had bricks thown at our windows, my husband was attacked by a group of youths, our gates were vandalised and being between the pub and the chipshop we got a lot of drunks urinating into our garden and even down our footpath. I came out of our house one day with my very young children and there were two kids yards from me with their heads in bags sniffing glue. Our house was lovely, it was big and airy, we had a large garden and nice neighbours. I won't be driving by it again. It looked trashed.

If I win the lottery at the weekend I promise to buy this property and get it moved and rebuilt somewhere it will not be abused. Sorry to see this lovely old building in such a poor state.

J

The Cottage went for around £60,000. sold to a developer who is having problems with rear access as it's now an area of special interest due to the species of plant life!
Residents who's gardens back on to it are fighting any access...
O'h dear, What a shame!!!

Hi All.
An update on the cottage.
A nice man called Dave has bought it and is busy restoring it back to how it was with small alterations such as removing the added on bits and replacing them, then he is going to remove all the old rendering and recover it.At the moment he is waiting on the Council (as usual) for permission to carry out the work he wants to do. He has cleared the land around the house for access and has found and is in the process of restoring the old well found in the garden.He has to live in it as it is continues to suffer from vandalism, they keep on smashing the windows and stealing his tools, even took his ladders! He is looking for any info on the cottage inc pics so if you have any please send them to me and I will pass them on........

That picture is of what was known as "Happy Valley" which was on the East side of the Yardley Wood Road bridge. It was a big attraction prior to WW2, as can be seen from the picture. The canal cottage was adjacent to the towpath about 100 yards from the West side of the bridge. IIRC, if you search this site for "Happy Valley" there is more information available.....I have a 1985 photo of the Cottage taken from the bridge. I will post it later when I get home.

Here's an image of the area:

View attachment 68700

Speedy23 thanks for that info. It perhaps will still be nice for 'Dave' to have the photo which helps to build up the area for him. Regards. Carol

View attachment 68734

As promised: looking West from Yardley Wood Road. Also, in response to earlier comments re. the GWR, here's a couple of pictures of an old GWR boundary marker that used to be just beside the last house down from the canal on the West side of Yardely Wood Road. Long since nicked for scrap. These are interesting because in common with lots of ex-GWR canal and railside signage and fencing, they are mounted on bits of the old "bridgehead" style rail which was taken up when the GWR broad gauge was dismantled from 1865 - 1892.

View attachment 68735 View attachment 68736

Back