• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Local Home Guard. Billesley Area

bilsat

master brummie
Hi All.
Here are two pics of my father in the Home Guard, problem is I don't know where he was based, it might have been Hall Green or Kings Heath, if anyone can identify the pics or people I would be grateful.My father is at the end of the table in the "Home Guard" pic and third from the left in the front row of the seated ones Photo unfortunately lost
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures, Pete, and thanks for them.

The group picture is obviously a complete platoon - one officer, four sergeants and a number of corporals, plus all the blokes ranging in age from 17 to perhaps 70. At least nine of them sport Great War ribbons implying previous military service, 25 years or so earlier. Taken in summer, possibly on one of the anniversaries of the establishment of the Home Guard in May 1940, possibly another occasion.

On the identifying of the unit and its geographical area: does the original of the dinner image allow you to pick out the insignia on the upper sleeves of several of the men? Something like "BHM 37" for example. That would give the Battalion and hence the area of operation. Similarly if the officer could be named that would also give a good clue. Where exactly was your father living at that time? By some miracle do you have any other documentation at all?

Let's hope someone can pick out a face or two.

(This thread might be better placed in "Blitz and Homefront" unless you have a particular reason for putting it here. If not, is it OK for me to transfer it?)

Chris

Last edited:
Hi All.
Here are two pics of my father in the Home Guard, problem is I don't know where he was based, it might have been Hall Green or Kings Heath, if anyone can identify the pics or people I would be grateful.My father is at the end of the table in the "Home Guard" pic and third from the left in the front row of the seated ones
Pete
My father was at the Rocket Battery ( Home Guard) based at Swanhurst Park for a short time ( c 1944) but has he worked nights at Rover Clay Lane on Merlins he did not stay long.

Back