• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

learning to drive

bilsat

master brummie
When dad worked at Cadbury's he bought an old Ford "Sit up and beg" for £5-00, this had been passed around the workers who always bought and sold it for £5-00 and each persons son used to learn to drive in it.
It was a pig to start in the winter due to the 6 volt system and luckily we lived at the top of a hill so it could be rolled down the hill to start it!
I enjoyed learning in it and we kept it for about two years and in the end went back to Cadbury's, and no I didn't take my driving test!!
Does anyone remember such a vehicle?

I think it was the E93A, i had one towards the end of the 1960s, had some great fun in that motor, there was loads of room inside. I used to get stopped by the police when out of a night, "Your headlights don't work son", "They're 6v officer", "Oh -- right, then you can go" bloomin things was useless in the dark but i have to say apart from that and being a pig to start when it was cold i clocked up a lot of miles in that motor without any other problems.

bren

I can remember my dads Ford reg;BPX 467 in the winter he used to have to start it up with a handle,forgot to mention it was about 1956-7:DMossy

Ihad a 1954 Ford "pop" for three years, it was two year old when I bought it. sidevalve engine, 3 speed box,and air operated wipers that would stop when going up hill unless you took your foot off the accelerator for a moment, and 6 volt electics, but a very reliable car,heres a photo of it
with my dads van.
th_EzImg005.jpg

Michael had a sit up and beg Ford Pop when he first passed his test. He took his driving test three weeks after his 17th birthday in a 15cwt Bedford Van used for traffic signal maintainence. There was no passenger seat, so the examiner had to sit on a box!:shocked: My how things have changed.

Back