• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

Goodyear Boat Builders

Hi everyone, Have been trying to find out more about my ancestors on my grandmothers side, it appears that my Great, Great Grandfather 'David Goodyear,' born in 1811 (approx.) in Tipton Staffordshire, came to Birmingham with his wife (Hannah) and 7 children some time between 1845 and 1848. He...
  2. S

Bates!!

Hi All, Having a bit of difficulty tracking down some more Birmingham relatives and hoped someone could help. One of my Aunts, Gertrude Mary Clements (B 1Q 1878, Aston) married Charles John Bates (B 2Q 1883 Derby) in 2nd Quarter of 1906 in Solihull. In the 1911 census they were living at...
  3. S

Freeman

Hi all, Searching a distant relative who was living at 5 Alfred Road, Sparkhill, in the 1911 census. His name was Charles Freeman (born around 1878) and he was married to Mary Harvey Clements in Aston in 1903. In the census he lists his place of birth as Lapworth, Worcestershire, but I cannot...
  4. S

The Lost Smiths

I am travelling up to Birmingham next Friday, with my sister, to visit some long lost relatives and believe that our Grand Parents Lucy Smith (died 1929) and James Joseph Smith (died 1938) are both buried at Key Hill. Do you know who need to contact to find out if we can go and try and find the...
  5. S

Sphinx Manufacturing Co

Hi all Following on from my query regarding AC Delco, I now understand they started out as Sphinx Manufacturing Co, then Sphinx Sparking Plug Co (or AC-Sphinx Sparking Plug Co) and finally became AC Delco (a GM subsidiary) around the time of WWII, believe they were in Bradford Street Birmingham...
  6. S

Church Of Christ Sparkhill

Hi everyone, Bit of a surprise the other day, having received the wedding certificate for my father's eldest brother's (James Edward Smith), I found out that they married on my birthday (30th July) 1921 at Christ Church Sparkbrook. To double the surprise I found out the curates name was 'T...
  7. S

BSA Machine Tools Ltd and A.C. Delco Ltd

Hi all, From a recently discovered CV, I now know late father, George Joseph Smith, served an as an Apprentice at BSA Machine Tools Ltd, Birmingham between August 1929 to Aug 1932. He lived in or around Sparkbrook, could someone possibly tell me where the factory would have been at that time...
  8. S

Smith Search Thanks

All, After many hours of searching and with huge amounts of help from all of you I have gone from knowing virtually nothing about my fathers connections in Birmingham to the attached family tree. I have taken out all the names of surviving relations (because I believe you must do that) but...
  9. S

Smiths Edward

Hello everyone, Am still struggling with my Great Grandfather Edward Smith who was born in 'Birmingham in 1839. I know now that his father was called Samuel Smith and he was an Auctioneer. I also know that Samuel Smith's father was also called Samuel and he was born in born on 22nd June 1791...
  10. S

Smiths Edward

Still struggling to track down my great grandfather, Edward Smith. According to various census information he was born in Birmingham in 1839, his fathers name was Samuel Smith who was an Auctioneer (born Surrey 1791). Cannot find any details of them in the 1841 census but I don't seem to be as...
  11. S

School Days

Found some more documents whilst clearing my late mother's bungalow, amongst them was my late father's (George Joseph Smith) school names and employment record, very interested if anyone has images of the places listed below and do any of them still exist? School 1) Christ Church School...
  12. S

Smith Wedding September1958

After much searching I have found out that my cousin Betty Doreen Smith was married on 06 Sep 1958 at St Agatha's Sparkbrook Her father was Frederick Smith (second left in the attached photo) and they lived at 21 Spark Street. My father was George Smith (far right in the photo) who moved away...
  13. S

Smith Boys 1958

New challenge for all you, attached is a photo of my father George and his brothers taken in October 1958, since it is prior to any of my southern relatives Weddings I am assuming it is taken in or around Birmingham. From left to right they are, Bertie Smith (born 1904), Frederick Robert Smith...
  14. S

Smiths how far can I go?

Hi everyone, Still working my way backwards, last information I received, from SMTR, was that in 1851 my great, great grandparents were living at 16 Aston Road. Details were as follows:- Samuel Smith B1791 St. Georges, Surrey - auctioneer Maria Smith B1821 Stourport. Worcestershire - wife...
  15. S

Smith Search Again

Hi all, I am still researching my Brummie ancestors and got back to my great grandfather a certain Edward (Edwin?) Smith who I understand was born in 1839 in Birmingham and died in 1910. He married Lydia Goodyear on Oct 13th 1862 at the Parish Church Edgbaston. The wedding certificate lists his...
  16. S

Mystery Door

Thought you guys might like a challenge, attached photo is of my mother, taken in about 1938, somewhere in England (possibly Wales). It is a very distinctive carved wooden door but I don't have a clue where it is, does anyone recognise it?
  17. S

Henley Street Sparkbrook

Hi everyone, My father was born at 1 back 96 Henley Street in 1912, I have trawled through hundreds of images but cannot find any that cover this area, (it's virtually on the bend where it meets South Road). There was also a pub there called the Woodman Inn (2 South Street) where I believe my...
  18. S

Smith George

Hi everyone, this is my first try at this sort of thing so please bear with me. I have been trying to research my fathers family, his name was George Joseph Smith and he was born 19th March 1912 at '1 Back, 96 Henley Street, Aston'. His parents were James Joseph Smith born around 1872 in...
Back