• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

smithsquared

Brummie Once Removed
Hi everyone,

Have been trying to find out more about my ancestors on my grandmothers side, it appears that my Great, Great Grandfather 'David Goodyear,' born in 1811 (approx.) in Tipton Staffordshire, came to Birmingham with his wife (Hannah) and 7 children some time between 1845 and 1848. He appears to in the 1851 census living at 4, Oozells Street, Birmingham, his occupation is listed as a ‘Sawyer And Timber Dealer’ and was now living with his wife and 10 children! He next appeared in the 1861 census living at 2, Front House, Icknield Port Road, His occupation is now listed as ‘Timber Dealer’’ and whilst his eldest son has married and left home his remaining nine children are still at home along with a lodger named ‘Edwin Smith’ (my great grandfather). He died in the third quarter of 1869 in Aston, aged 59.

David's eldest son, Thomas Watson GOODYEAR, (b 1837 in Bewdsley, Worcs). In the 1861 census his occupation is listed as a ‘Sawyer’ and he is lodging at 3, Court 2, Stoke Street, Birmingham. He next appeared in the 1871 census Beale Street Vale Place, Aston, with his wife Eliza and six children, his occupation is listed as a ‘Boat Builder’. In the 1881 Census living at 7 & 8 Southalls Buildings Long Acre, Aston, now with ten children, occupation ‘Master Boat Builder.’ Thomas appears for the last time in the 1891 census living at just 7 Southalls Buildings Long Acre, Nechells.

Next eldest of David's sons, Edwin GOODYEAR (b 1839 in Chaddesley Corbett, Worcs) appears in the 1861 census as a ‘Boat Builder’ No record can be found for Edwin in the 1871 census and in the 1881 census his occupation is ‘Timber Dealer.’ He died in the 4th quarter of 1931 at the age 92!

Third eldest, William Henry GOODYEAR (b 1841 in Chaddesley Corbett, Worcs) appeared in the 1861 census as a ‘Boat Builder’ living at 2, Front House, Icknield Port Road, Birmingham. In the 1871 census he is living in Golden Hillock Lane The Hollier, Aston, Birmingham and in the 1881 census he is living at 18, Sampson Road, Aston, with his wife and six children, occupation ‘Master Boat Builder.’ In the 1891 census they are living at 6, Francis Villas, Francis Road, Yardley, Hay Mills, his occupation is now listed as ‘Timber Dealer.’ In the 1901 census William and his wife Harriet are living at 16, Eton Road, Balsall Heath, his occupation has returned to being a Boat Builder. His four youngest children are still living at home. There is no record of William or Harriet in the 1911 Census.

Fourth eldest son, David GOODYEAR (b 1843 in Chaddesley Corbett, Worcs) appeared in the 1861 census listed as a ‘Boat Builder’ and is living at 2, Front House, Icknield Port Road. He appeared in the subsequent census' living as a lodger with his married sister Lydia SMITH (my Great Grand Mother) and her husband Edward SMITH, he died in 4th quarter 1892 in Birmingham.

Have found the attached extracts from the London Gazette which detail David Goodyear's Insolvency and dissolving of E & W Goodyear Boat Builders but would love to find out if their are any more positive records of their endeavours.

There were lots of other Goodyear's, including the two youngest sisters Maria and Charlotte Priscilla GOODYEAR who appeared in the 1871 census in Springfield Street, West, Birmingham, they list their occupations as ‘Professor of Dancing.’ Bit removed from boat building but another interesting branch to follow

I don’t know if these are helpful (where no directory listed it is Kellys):. I have included all Goodyears listed in the commercial section, though some may have no connection, and have gone up to 1913. I think the baker William Henry must be different to yours, but there might be a connection. You will see William Henry is listed briefly in 1910 as a boatbuilder, and a William appears again as one briefly in 1903:
Whites 1848: Goodyear David, timber dealer, Oozells st.,North ; home:14, Cumberland st
Slaters 1852: Goodyear David, sawyer Mill St
Whites 1855: : Goodyear David, English timber dealer, 4,Oozells street
Dix’s 1858 : Goodyear David, boatbuilder, Icknield port rd; home, Freeth st
David is not listed in the 1862 corporation directory, but there is a George Goodyear, , brass tube maker, Icknield Port Road- though there may be no connection
Corporation 1862 : Goodyear, Thomas, sawyer, 6 Scotland St, Parade.
1868: Goodyear,Edward & William, boat builders, 5 Kingston Road.
1868: Goodyear, Samuel, shoemaker, 26 Ingleby St
1872 : Goodyear Thomas, boat builder, Plume street
1872 Goodyear Wm. boat builder, Canal bank, Sandy la. Camp hill
1873-83: Goodyear Edwin, timber dlr. Charles Henry st
Whites 1873: Goodyear George, shopkeeper, 219 Icknield Port road
Whites 1873: Goodyear Thomas, boat builder, Plume street ; home Vale
Place. Beales street. Aston
Whites 1873: Goodyear William Henry, boat builder, Croyden villa,
Golden Hillock road
1876-1905: Goodyear Thomas, boat builder, 53 Plume street (number Plume st only listed after 1897)
1876-78: Goodyear Wm. boat builder, Canal bank, Sandy la. Camp hill
1876: Goodyear William Henry, baker, 31 Dudley road
1878: Goodyear William Henry, baker, Grove Lane Smethwick
1878-80 Goodyear,Esther ( Mrs), dressmaker, 35 Barford Street South
1879-80: Goodyear William Henry, baker, Grove Lane Smethwick & 129 Spring Hill
1882-92: Goodyear William Henry, baker, 169 Grove Lane Smethwick
1884-92 : Goodyear Edwin, timber dlr, 428 Moseley Road
1888-92: Goodyear,Esther ( Mrs), dressmaker 1 Varna road
1895-99: Goodyear Edwin, timber merchant, 152 Moseley Road (this is the same place as earlier, but street renumbered.)(In 1900 it seems to have been taken over by George Shipway, timber merchant)
1895-96 Goodyear, joseph, butcher, 35 Gt Russell St & 23 Summer Lane
1895-99 Goodyear William Henry, baker & confectioner , 3 Cape hill & 206 Windmill Lane
1897 Goodyear, Joseph, butcher, 35 Gt Russell St
1897-1900 Goodyear, Lucy (Mrs) dressmaker, 35 Ladywood Road
1899-1900 Goodyear & Parker, Drapers,30 Lincoln St,,Balsall Heath
1899-1900 Goodyear, Mary Ann (Mrs), Kings Head PH, 73 Bell Barn road
1900-13 Goodyear, Alice Maud (Miss) , milliner, 178 Stratford rd
1900-08 Goodyear William Henry, baker & confectioner , 3 & 104 Cape hill & 206 Windmill Lane & 372 Dudley Road.
1903-04 Goodyear. George, hairdresser, 181 Corporation st
1903 Goodyear, (Mrs). Dressmaker, Ladywood Grove, Ladywood road.
1903 Goodyear, William, boatbuilder, Brittania wharf, Watery Lane
1910-13: Goodyear Charles, dining rooms, 62 Dudley road
1910-13: Goodyear William Henry, baker, 528 Bearwood road ; 32 Cape hill & 206 Windmill lane, Smethwick
1910: Goodyear William Henry, boat builder, Blcws street
Mike

Mike,

Brilliant, that will take me some while to work through!

Considering David Goodyear had 10 children, Thomas Watson Goodyear had 10, Edwin had 2, William had 7 and Nathan just the one there are a number of Goodyear's out there, mind you his daughter Lydia, my Great Grand Mother, still holds the family record at 11.

Many thanks

Bob

Hi Bob

I've just found this. David Goodyear is my 3xGt Grandfather via Thomas the son of Thomas Watson Goodyear & Eliza Maddox. Unfortunately, Thomas the son does not have a good reputation in my family, as after marrying Alice Maud Mary Taylor ,probably in Aston, he moved to Chester St, Chesterfield in Derbyshire and was there in the 1901 census. There he abandoned her with 5 young children. Apparently within a year she was committed and ended her years in Cheddleton asylum. The children then went into the Industrial School/Poorhouse from where they eventually managed to buy each other out. I have a photo of my Grandmother Lizzie working at the Kings Norton at the munition factory during the first world war, but she returned to Hasland, nr Chesterfield to visit her brother and ended up marrying her sister-in-law's brother. As for the errant Thomas he reportedly left for Sheffield with "another woman".

Last edited:
Kevin,
Absolutely thrilled to read you message, I am supposed to be going out so cannot reply today but promise I will get back to you very soon with lots of info regarding my side of the Goodyear's. As a taster, attached is an extract from my family tree that covers the Goodyear's down to my parents (George Joseph Smith and Elsie Louise Julia Chapman) in the bottom right hand corner. Be great to compare notes.
Bob

Attachments

• 2020 08 The Tree Extract.pdf
    45 KB · Views: 9
Back