• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smiths how far can I go?

smithsquared

Brummie Once Removed
Hi everyone,
Still working my way backwards, last information I received, from SMTR, was that in 1851 my great, great grandparents were living at 16 Aston Road. Details were as follows:-
Samuel Smith B1791 St. Georges, Surrey - auctioneer
Maria Smith B1821 Stourport. Worcestershire - wife
Edward Smith B1839 Bham - son (my great grandfather)
Alfred H Smith B1848 Warwickshire, Ashstead

I have tried all routes I can think of to track Maria back but cannot find anything, does anyone know were I can find any more details about her. Would be great to find a marriage record, any help would be appreciated.
Bob

only thing i can find at the mo is the christening of alfred hatton smith

9 oct 1847 at st. james the less, astead parents are samuel hampson smith and maria

I was wondering if perhaps Maria was Samuel's second marriage as she was a good deal younger than him.
A possible is a marriage of a Maria Hatton and Samuel Smith 1845 Aston? JFM 16 224

Suzanne

well that sounds good suzanne, with the "hatton" as middle name for alfred. :) that means we dont know who the mother of edward smith is though :(

well that sounds good suzanne, with the "hatton" as middle name for alfred. :) that means we dont know who the mother of edward smith is though :(
I know Shera:) It just presents further questions:)
Family record pilot has a marriage 25 Jan 1845 Aston Juxta of Samuel Smith and Maria Hatton but nothing else which would be useful, like their marital status.

(By the way, Glad you are back fit and well:) )

Suzanne

Not much help with Maria, and hope I’m not going over things you already know, but in the 1845 Post Office & 1849 Whites directory (probably referring to 1848 ), there is ;
Smith Samuel, vict. and auctioneer, Rose and Crown, 25, Gt. Brook street
The 1850 Post office directory (probably referring to late 1849) lists the landlord of the Rose & crown as Evan Jones, and there doesn’t seem to be an appropriately named auctioneer listed in this one.

In 1841 there is a Samuel Smith , auctioneer at 1 Aston Road

Oh, this looks like it's not going to be easy,
I will try getting Edward Smiths birth certificate, do you think Birmingham Register Office will issue based on just year 1839 and fathers name?
Will probably also try and get Samuel and Maria's Wedding certificate for my records
Have searched Great Brook Street, and find it a little confusing, there is reference to it on the forum as in Aston (runs across the top of Barrack Street and Windsor Street), there is another thread referring to Great Brook Street Ashted (is this the same as Alfred H Smith 1848 Birth place, Warwickshire, Ashstead?) and finally there is a photo of a Great Brook Street, Duddeston (on Phyllis Nicklin's slides of 1950s & 60s Birmingham).
Are they all different places or the same, I don't have a very good knowledge of Birmingham geography (but it is improving all the time).
I never thought this was going to be easy,
Many thanks for the help to date.
Bob

Unfortunately the position of the Rose & Crown was on the borders of two sheets of the 1890 map. It is shown in red on the joined map below. In fact it had disappeared by 1890, but the position is correct.
Mike

1890_map_showing_Rose___Crown_great_brook_st_c_1850.jpg

Mike,
Story of my life, always lived on the join between two maps. Have looked up Great Brook Street and can add it to the growing list of bulldozed places where my ancestors lived.
Any idea which end of the old road this photo might be?
Bob

Back