• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bates!!

smithsquared

Brummie Once Removed
Hi All,

Having a bit of difficulty tracking down some more Birmingham relatives and hoped someone could help.

One of my Aunts, Gertrude Mary Clements (B 1Q 1878, Aston) married Charles John Bates (B 2Q 1883 Derby) in 2nd Quarter of 1906 in Solihull. In the 1911 census they were living at 71 St Johns Road, Sparkhill with their 4 year old son Stanley (born Greet, Worcs). I am trying to find out if they had any other children but do not know how to find out after 1911.

Any help would be appreciated

Have you looked at Free BMD after 1911 the mothers maiden name is listed so look for children with the name Bates mothers name Clements. Happy Hunting!!

https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the following help?
1927 at 71 Larches Street,Sparkbrook
Charles John Bates and Gertrude Mary Bates
1930 at 14 Hollyhock Road Acocks Green
Charles John Bates and Gertrude Mary Bates and Dorothy Clements
1935 at 14 Hollyhock Road Acocks Green
Charles John Bates and Gertrude Mary Bates and Leslie Bates (born 1912)
1939 at 118 Cole Valley Road,Hall Green
Charles John Bates and Gertrude Mary Bates and Leslie Bates
1945-1950 at 118 Cole Valley Road,Hall Green
Gertrude Mary Bates and Leslie Bates

Ladylinda,
That is brilliant, is it the electoral role that gives this information, I tried Free BMD which gave me just Leslie, I also tried 'Find my Past' which threw up loads of Bates (with Clements mothers) which was why I couldn't verify anything.
Thanks
Bob

Hi Bob,
do you think Dorothy Clements (listed with John and Gertrude in 1930) is the daughter of Gertrude's sister, Frances?
She is living with Frances and her parents in Gladstone Terrace in 1911, aged 7.

Ladylinda,
You just hit the nail on the head, Dorothy Clements was my Aunty Doll who was married my father's brother Bert, they never had any children. It turns out that all me, my cousins and siblings used to go and stay with them in the summers long ago at their home in Dunstable.

Back to the subject matter, I too thought she was 'Frances's' daughter but sent off for her birth certificate to check and was surprised to find that she was in fact Gertrude's daughter! My cousins have some names that they vaguely recall Doll mentioning as her step sister and brother which were the offspring I was trying to find. I suppose the only problem with the Electoral register results is that they won't record under 18's, still the info you have given me get's me a bit further so thanks again!

Back