• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith Search Again

smithsquared

Brummie Once Removed
Hi all,
I am still researching my Brummie ancestors and got back to my great grandfather a certain Edward (Edwin?) Smith who I understand was born in 1839 in Birmingham and died in 1910. He married Lydia Goodyear on Oct 13th 1862 at the Parish Church Edgbaston. The wedding certificate lists his father as Samuel Smith whose occupation is described as Auctioneer.

Unfortunately Edward was lodging with the Goodyear's at the time of the 1861 census, wherein he is listed as 'Edwin Smith', this seems to be an ongoing theme since his wife lists him as 'Edwin' on their daughter Lucy's (my grandmother) birth certificate. He did sign his wedding certificate as 'Edward' so I do believe that is his correct name.

Despite searching the 1841 census, I can find no record of a Samuel Smith and two year old son Edward or Edwin, I have also trawled through the 1861 census and the only Samuel with an occupation vaguely similar to an Auctioneer is listed as follows,

Enumeration District 8, Civil Parish of Aston, Eccl. District of Aston, Folio 81 Page 21
120,202 Cheapside,1,Samuel Smith,Head,M,62,,Earthen Ware Dealer, Packington Staffordshire,,
,,,Catherine Smith,Wife,M,,61,,Birmingham Warwickshire,,
,,,Louisa Smith,Dau,U,,20,Dress Maker,Birmingham Warwickshire,,
,,,Harriett Smith,Dau,U,,17,Dress Maker,Birmingham Warwickshire,,
,,,Catherine Reeves,Dau,M,,35,Dress Maker,Birmingham Warwickshire,,
,,,Julia Reeves,Grndau,U,,9,Scholar,Birmingham Warwickshire,,
,,,Clara Reeves,Grndau,,,4,Scholar,Worcester Worcestershire,,
,,,Jane Smith,Niece,U,,19,Dress Maker,Wolverhampton Staffordshire

I do have doubt's that this is the correct man and if anyone can search the 1851 census for Samuel Smith and son Edward aged around 12, I would be really appreciative to get any update.

1851 16 Aston Road
Samuel Smith B1791 St. Georges, Surrey - auctioneer
Maria Smith B1821 Stourport. Worcestershire - wife
Edward Smith B1839 Bham - son
Alfred H Smith B1848 Warwickshire, Ashstead?
Elizabeth Mason B1833 Walsall - servant

Suzanne

Suzanne,
Brilliant, the plot thickens, two new jobs to do, search back for Maria Smith and more intriguingly try and find St. Georges on Surrey. Brief foray suggests there are two, main one in Southwark (London) and the other is in Esher, which is a mile and half from where I live!
Many thanks
Bob

Back