• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also "Bob's your uncle" meaning everything is fine or correct but a reply often might be "Fanny's your aunt" which means "oh no it isn't". :laughing:

To 'jump in, with both - or two - feet' meaning to do something hastily or without due consideration.
A Devonian version might be "dawnee val vor youm pushed" (don't fall before your pushed)

I lived in South Derbyshire some time ago and 'me duck' was in common use. Also was 'mash the pot' for making a pot of tea.

I lived in South Derbyshire some time ago and 'me duck' was in common use. Also was 'mash the pot' for making a pot of tea.
My Dad was Coventry, my great aunt from Malvern also said me duck, mum's friend from Wexford used to say duckie but she lived in Cov since she was a little girl.

London friends said mash the tea, Cov folk say brew the tea, or I am putting a brew on, Stourbridge side said the tee was steeping.
Dad said would you like a cuppa cha?, my Irish friends, will you take a cup of tea, ah go on, ya will!.

To 'jump in, with both - or two - feet' meaning to do something hastily or without due consideration.
A Devonian version might be "dawnee val vor youm pushed" (don't fall before your pushed)
Dad bought me a lovely little book years ago, after visiting Widdicombe In The Moor, which depicted the story of Tam Pearce. In the dialect. I remember the ver, I want ver to go to Widdecombe Fair etc

London friends said mash the tea, Cov folk say brew the tea, or I am putting a brew on, Stourbridge side said the tee was steeping.
Dad said would you like a cuppa cha?, my Irish friends, will you take a cup of tea, ah go on, ya will!.
ah go on. go on.go on:)

Said of one of my bosses, she's a waste of skin.
One female colleague of mine said of another woman, bending, the last time I saw that it had a saddle strapped to it. We were supposed to have dignity in the work place, which only applied to some.
She'll never fall over in a gale force wind, of a small girl with very big feet accentuated by stilleto winkle pickers.
Nan would say he's as fat as George Loveitt, I know he was a real person.
As big as a barn door.
Ers got 'ommer 'onds. Hammer hands. Gi it some 'ommer. Put your back in to it.
Eee cor knock the skin of a rice puddin.
Yer great big lummax!

Don`t come running to me if you break your leg!
Fits like a glove on a chickens lip.
How tall are you? 6 foot? I didn`t know they could pile s..t that high!
His hair smells like hay, just gone through the cow.
Irish stew in the name of the law.

The backsides (or words to that effect) you kick on the way up may be the same backsides you have to kiss on the way down.

Up and down like a fiddler’s elbow.

(Sporting) Strung out like a washing line.

Couldn’t pot a plant.

Whipper in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back