• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nico, I read that and thought "that was a lot of words, some of them English". So I read it again. Nope. Perhaps if I read it in the mirror, or upside down. Nope. :oops: Must be bed time. Cheers Andrew.

richer in wisdom I think

I look like the wreck of the Vesporous (I think that was the wrong name but that's what Nan said)
or something the cat's dragged in.
Pulled through an 'edge backuds
Or the wild 'ooman o' Borneo
haha! It was you look like wreck of the Hesperus, I like your Nan's version best!
It was from a poem by Henry Longfellow about a ship in a storm a sea.
My Dad used to say all of those and "so and so looks like a bag of muck tied in the middle"
and "straight up and down like a yard of ditchwater" & "did you see the tidemark around that 'un's neck?"
Such a rich language we had that is sadly disappearing

haha! It was you look like wreck of the Hesperus, I like your Nan's version best!
It was from a poem by Henry Longfellow about a ship in a storm a sea.
My Dad used to say all of those and "so and so looks like a bag of muck tied in the middle"
and "straight up and down like a yard of ditchwater" & "did you see the tidemark around that 'un's neck?"
Such a rich language we had that is sadly disappearing
Well I have posted the following elsewhere, but....she said if she had a dress with an elasticated waist, aah look lark a bag o' sxxt tied up ugly. One of my great gran's said straight as a yard of pumpwater, Nan said the tidemark comment about women who wore 'muckup', an day wash their necks. As dull as ditchwater, .....If she passed a sailor, she would titter saying 'the fleet's in!'I t's nice to know I am not alone.

thank you all for your contributions to this long running thread which has now run it course so will be locked

the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back