• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
When something went wrong my Dad's usual saying was "I'm off to the pub, you sort it out" :wink:

Sorry folks
Don't know how I managed that
just kidding :oops: :lol:

My mates mom, who was Irish, used to say " If your Gran was alive now,she'd turn in her grave"
Jerry, I think you might have known him, Kerry Hannigan ? :wink:

Hi Postie
Yeah I knew kerry but not very well
back to the topic our mum was Irish as well and if anyone was moaning about having to do something she used to say " just keep going till you're exhausted then go to sleep and give us all a rest "

My dad used to say "gawd stipe me pink "

na me mom would say " he will one day" .

where have you been?
reply "there and back to see how far it was"

Where have you been?

:D "To see a man about a dog, but he only had a goat."

"there and back to see how far it was"
"...but it wern't far enough so I'm gooin again"

Dad also said "Strike a light" If he was surprised about somthing.

Where's Mom/Dad ? "Gone to catch a cold"

Alberta, I still go all around the Wrekin looking for things.

Do any of you use the word 'Beins' ? eg;" Beins it's still light you can stay up a while longer", " Beins I've got five bob you can go to the flicks". I use this word a lot and my kids have picked it up too, but never relised untill one of Angela's boyfriends pointed out he'd never heard it used before.

Christine :)

How did wallflowers become "Gilly,"? :?

They don't know what I'm talking about where I live!!!!!!!! :eek:

It must be a brummie word rowan, they don't know it here either. My Uncle Harry was always so proud of his Gilly flowers. :D

Gilly flowers

Just looked up a few books for gilly flower, which we all remember - no mention. I don't see them much in the London area, but I do remember the smell in other people's front gardens as we walked back from school - magic!
Peter

Just looked up Gilly in the dictionary and it says the full name is clove gillyflower and it applies to several flowers including the wallflower - so there!
:)

Absolutely jerry, gilly's are wallflowers. The first I ever bought for our own garden I couldn't understand why they were selling them under a different name. :D

Which brings us neatly unto

" Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellelbogen By The Sea"

Max Bygraves 1954 :lol:

John Houghton said:
does any one remember the Gilly Gardens ??

Yup, John - they were part of the allotments near running round the back of Livingstone Road.
And this thread has now solved a mystery for Mrs paulj. She recalls spending a lot of her formative years playing in the Gilly Gardens but always wondered why they were called that.

My grandad that always worked in town always said....Ya Moant....for you mustn't, either one was ' airey one'..... but nobody as yet has said....a face as lung as Livery Street....so I'll add that.

my grandfather used to say .when it was time to go home "pack up yer parrotts an monkeys"

does any one remember the Gilly Gardens ??

We lived in Havelock Rd and our garden backed onto the Gilly Gardens. My dad had an allotment there and since he had been refused permission to put a gate in the fence at the bottom of the garden (to save him walking round to the entrance in Livingstone Rd) he cut a hatch in the fence and climbed through each time he visited his plot!

I have always referred to wallflowers as Gillys (or should that be Gillies?) and the smell of them always evokes happy childhood memories.

Next to the entrance to the Gilly Gardens in Livingstone Rd was the entrance to what we always referred to as “Jackson’s Farm”. Old man Jackson used to sell coal etc. and I had the regular job of taking an old pram round to pick up a sack of coke.

Anyone else remember Jackson’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back