• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also "Bob's your uncle" meaning everything is fine or correct but a reply often might be "Fanny's your aunt" which means "oh no it isn't". :laughing:

To 'jump in, with both - or two - feet' meaning to do something hastily or without due consideration.
A Devonian version might be "dawnee val vor youm pushed" (don't fall before your pushed)

I lived in South Derbyshire some time ago and 'me duck' was in common use. Also was 'mash the pot' for making a pot of tea.

I lived in South Derbyshire some time ago and 'me duck' was in common use. Also was 'mash the pot' for making a pot of tea.
My Dad was Coventry, my great aunt from Malvern also said me duck, mum's friend from Wexford used to say duckie but she lived in Cov since she was a little girl.

London friends said mash the tea, Cov folk say brew the tea, or I am putting a brew on, Stourbridge side said the tee was steeping.
Dad said would you like a cuppa cha?, my Irish friends, will you take a cup of tea, ah go on, ya will!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back