• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Right - couldn't get my bearings.
So on this map - yellow is rough position of photographer and red circle is that sign on the wall with the school being Waverley School?
View attachment 157441

Right - couldn't get my bearings.
So on this map - yellow is rough position of photographer and red circle is that sign on the wall with the school being Waverley School?
View attachment 157441
Another point of reference is the left tower of Small Heath Station you can see on the right of the photo. When I worked at the B.S.A in the 60s, the 28A bus crossed Golden Hillock Rd at that junction.
Small Heath Station 2.jpg

A bit further north than you are used to 31 Holland Street Sutton Coldfield, 1974, which is the side street - this is Birmingham Road I think. This shot has appeared online with my name credit but I was never sure how !! - fine selection of local shops - not sure of the gable end on Gills though. Gills used to have a model railway in the window, I know because my father in law made it and its in my loft !! - he did a similar one for the model shop in the old shopping centre in Perry Barr.

View attachment 157461
Where the Burnley Building Society is in the photo, there was, later on in the 1980s, a men's clothing shop where they sold some fabulous, high quality (and high-priced) garments. I bought a cream-coloured turtle neck sweater there, which was made in Italy. Also, a button up shirt made in France. These days it's difficult to find any men's stores which aren't piled high with Chinese alternatives!

A bit further north than you are used to 31 Holland Street Sutton Coldfield, 1974, which is the side street - this is Birmingham Road I think. This shot has appeared online with my name credit but I was never sure how !! - fine selection of local shops - not sure of the gable end on Gills though. Gills used to have a model railway in the window, I know because my father in law made it and its in my loft !! - he did a similar one for the model shop in the old shopping centre in Perry Barr.

View attachment 157461
I had an appointment at the FPA in Holland Street in 1969, my husband decided to wait in the pub, not far away. He was approached by by two plain clothes officers, asking if he would mind standing in a line up. He explained that he was waiting for me and that he couldn't help. Thats okay they said, we will wait! One of the officers had forgotten his warrant card and when we went outside there wasn't a police car but an Austin Traveller Countryman. Being young we were nervous! Fortunately, it all turned out well. The culprit was recognised, who looked nothing like my husband and Gary received half a crown for his services. More old photographs bringing back forgotten memories. Thanks Steve. Regards,

hi sparks when i was involved with trying to save the fox and grapes pub i used to attend all of the HS2 meetings to plead my case..fell on deaf ears of course but looking at the original plans which could have changed they showed that platform 6 is to be on the site of the pub...i still say that they could have incorporated the pub within the station and it was considered but in the end they decided the pub had to go..shame really as i am in no doubt that having a pub of that age and given its history it would certainly have pulled the punters in ...sad to say i have long given up with the powers that be wanting to preserve this citys history...moan over

lyn
Did anyone see the Fox and Grapes being demolished on BBC2 tonight as they looked at the Park Street burial ground in Britain's biggest dig, good programme and some interesting information but alas and alack so much seems to have to be destroyed for HS2.
Bob

Did anyone see the Fox and Grapes being demolished on BBC2 tonight as they looked at the Park Street burial ground in Britain's biggest dig, good programme and some interesting information but alas and alack so much seems to have to be destroyed for HS2.
Bob
To try to put a positive spin on HS2, at least you will be able to get back from London more quickly.

As we seem to like the snow and Easy Row here is another one bit further round the corner, from this height you see how wonderful the buildings were - note the Flight booking office and the row of closed shops compard to other pictures. Nice selection of vehicles and a Corporation Bus coming into view

Test429 1.jpg

As we seem to like the snow and Easy Row here is another one bit further round the corner, from this height you see how wonderful the buildings were - note the Flight booking office and the row of closed shops compard to other pictures. Nice selection of vehicles and a Corporation Bus coming into view

View attachment 157534
What a fine group of buildings. Lots of references to European architecture aren't there?

This according to the building sign is Gooch Street, what a fine street and a fine selection of vehicles , love the lamp and do you see telegraph poles in the city centre these days. Also see the cobbled pavement crossings which presumably go underneath the tarmac.

View attachment 157535
Stephens and Bishton seem to own an Austin A40 half ton pickup from the early 1950s. At the left of the picture is a small collection of Morris Minors, including a van, and a convertible. The white car didn’t know that it wasn’t the right make, possibly an Anglebox? Gooch Street Garage has caused me some bother, the car with the whitewall tyre might be either a Cresta, or a Westminster, can’t really see enough of it because it is hidden by a real survivor, a Hillman Minx based van, which is either pre WW2, or 1946-48. From 1948 onwards for a year or two the headlights were integrated into the front wings, the van was probably badged as a Commer.

This is Ryland Street and Grosvenor Street West, Joes Café on the corner with a bunch of lads presumably waiting for someone to take them inside. Love the building on the right with the faded wording - not quite ghost level. Love the motorbike and sidecar and the keep left sign, and the general street scene.

View attachment 157536
On the left, a couple of big Austins, the front of a Thames van, and a rare Standard 8cwt pickup. I can’t do motorbikes, but we are in Brum, so could it be a Beezer? Finally, an immaculately kept Ford E493A Prefect (NUE Warks. May 1953) which must have been at least seven years old as there are 1960ish cars in the picture.

Last edited:
What do we all think of the security, or lack of it, shown by those buildings in Gooch Street? They look quite easy to enter, weak windows relatively close to the ground, wooden entrance doors and asbestos sheet roofs. There isn’t any barbed wire strung through the top of the concrete fence posts in front of S & B Engineering, just some mesh. What did the owners do to protect both their own, and customers’ property and work in progress? Maybe they left a large and stroppy dog on the premises overnight, or just ensured that no cash was left around, or maybe our general level of honesty has changed, downward of course. Even the garage doesn’t look too secure.

Hmmm, I think many places in the 60's wouldn't be secure by today's standards and I think you are right in saying the general level of honesty has worsted.

I don't think you are right about the general level of honesty, I think in general people are just as honest but with the population rise there is an equal rise in the number of thieves about and punishment takes them off the streets for just a few days/weeks and they're back in their sorry business.
And of course there's a lot more goodies to steal nowadays.

I was commenting upon the design of the buildings, more or less. Imagine what that street of small businesses would look like were it to have been built within say the last ten years, there would be little comparison.

Here is a picture of the Rotunda nearing completion, some floors lacking windows and the shops round the base boarded up. The front of New street station is still there so before re build. To eras of Corporation bus on show, front and rear entry types. Note also cars coming out of the High Street / New Street turning, also like the Times Furnishing sign with Burton tailoring underneath.

Test176 1.jpg

Something a bit different, a advert hoarding of a type I don't recall, in a location I don't know.
The wall sign in the background is distinctive so perhaps that might help. The Cadbury sign has not changed much over the years, but I don't think you can get a dryer for £7 and what happened to the MEB!!

Test191 1.jpg

Here is a general view of the Market Hall, ( EDIT: Fruit & Veg Market, see mikejee below, Thanks Mike) note the roof trusses, round windows and the offices up high, I like the hanging pendant lights too. Like the way the lorries and vans drive in, with goods waiting to be sold or stacked to be loaded and the traders hand painted signs as well. Fine selection of goods vehicles both small and large, and a selection of barrows also.

Test216 1.jpg

Last edited:
Finally the top of Cherry Street showing what has gone on both sides of the road. Fine selection of fashions where short seems to be in. Note the gent just coming back with his purchase from Rackham's. In the distance is a wallpaper shop and a fine enamel road sign above the door. The observant may have noticed a sign for Monday 2nd October 1972 , so we know the year - any idea of the event?

Test238.jpg

Back