• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

That would narrow it down to Aston, Edgbaston, Erdington, Moseley and Kings Heath, Northfield, Perry Barr, Yardley.
Could be the Aston, the one running from Aston Church near the park to Lichfield Road or perhaps Aston Church Road near by running from Nechells Park Road to Washwood Heath Road

When I first saw that photo I vaguely thought Edgbaston. But nothing specific. The maisonettes look like they’re of London brick. Could that narrow it down ? Viv.

Next up an aerial view of the same view but a different direction . Manzoni Gardens under construction and the various underpasses and flyover in the progress of been built. I especially like all the sidings at Moor Street, the sheds on stilts I believe are wagon lifts for the warehouses underneath - good arriving in vans where lowered down without having to be unloaded. We can see the signal box at New Street and the progress there of the rebuilding. I am sure you can spot plenty of other sights.

Test209 1.jpg

Back to the shop fronts this is 7 Hobmoor Road in 1973, orderly queue at the bus stop, and a nice run of shops. Curtiss Motor own the pick up and the Cortina Estate looks good. If you look carefully there is an Ecko projecting sign and the Philips sign is not seen these days.

View attachment 157897
was wally swifts a betting shop or have i imagined that

lyn

page 99 and it only started in January will this be the fastest 100 pages has been reached on the forum and for that matter 2000 posts (32 to go)
Bob

page 99 and it only started in January will this be the fastest 100 pages has been reached on the forum and for that matter 2000 posts (32 to go)
Bob
Going very strong. Another rapid riser was "these trying times" where we talked about our experiences during the first lockdown. This reached 1485 posts and 75 pages in 89 days. It was terminated on June 14th 2020. Old Birmingham Photos from STEVEBHx took 94 days to reach 1485 posts but is still running. I really should get out more. Dave

Having see Bobs post #1,968, so keeping an eye on the page and post numbers here is a few more for you to enjoy.
First up a wall 30-31 Bradford Street, some interesting shadows of buildings and is that a water tank suspended high up?
Nice line of cars apart from the Allegro Estate, apparently would have been very different if accountants had not got involved and stopped them using what they wanted. ( James May Peoples Cars)

30 - 31 Bradford Street - 78.jpg

Next up we have 273- 291 Soho Road in 1975, a fine selection of local shops, although Libbys records has bit the dust, not sure there was much call for the Classical records. Its a fine picture for people watching - the two gents in front of the singer shop and the man with the white shoes in front of Handsworth repair service. Note also the shape of the roof on the record shop.273- -291 Soho Road - 75.jpg

Last edited:
Next up we have 273- 291 Soho Road in 1975, a fine selection of local shops, although Libbys records has bit the dust, not sure there was much call for the Classical records. Its a fine picture for people watching - the two gents in front of the singer shop and the man with the white shoes in front of Handsworth repair service. Note also the shape of the roof on the record shop.

Oh dear, November 1976... !

IMG_7194.jpg

Finally for tonight - I will let you take it over the 100 pages ! I feel I recognise the view but cannot recall where - Geber and Dunn does that help ? Nice selection of enamel signs on the right, and some cast railings too. Only a few vehicles but the silvery blue on on the right looks interesting. Gas light , three storey properties and an interesting building on the extreme right with arched doorway and window and a bit of green railing.

Test328 1.jpg

Back