• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

This is 54 Boulton Road Small Heath from 1975, I see that is was £3.00 on the day admission to the Grand Prix - make you weep!!. Love the sash windows and the oval window in the door and a nice top to the window frame.

View attachment 157384
The marks of the adverts are still there but the front door has been bricked up and is now on the side.

Attachments

• 54 Boulton Road  - 2021.JPG
    54 Boulton Road - 2021.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 15
This 10-14 Warwick Road in 1974 a selection of local shops and a few hanging signs outside the newsagents. Like the painted brick edging on the shop and the ornamental ridge tiles, and a variety of chimney pots

View attachment 157385
Knew where this was. Just where Warwick Road joins Stratford Road.
In this "now" view Haircutz (that spelling annoys me - I want to get my red pen out o_O) is at #14.

Attachments

• 10-14 Warwick Road -2021.JPG
    10-14 Warwick Road -2021.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 14
Next is Hill Street and St. Judes passage 1972, old style signpost to Smallbrook Queensway and a Classic old Vauxhall Viva. Large metal framed windows to Colmore Depot and just noticed the Ford Anglia in the car park.

View attachment 157386
Working from old maps St Judes Passage was almost opposite Hinckley Street. This is the view now.

Attachments

• Hill St St Judes  - 2021.JPG
    Hill St St Judes - 2021.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 16
I was browsing through the thread today and came across 138 Birmingham Rd, Sutton Coldfield, which has Cold War memories from 1977 for me. I sometimes visited it with others late at night! See second quote from my old post below ....
138 Birmingham Road Sutton Coldfield 1976, its own Land rover sat in front and a studded door. Extended roof line down to above the door and an interesting garage with weather vane.
index.php
I suppose WW2 was very much a hot war.
The cold war to me was something I read about in the papers or saw on TV until our little Birmingham forging company was informed by group head office that we had to install a forging plant in the USSR. We were not pleased with the prospect of having to spend weeks in a country we thought was dangerous and had no idea how to train foreign engineers.

After a few weeks with the Russian engineers at our plant they went to their embassy in London for a few days. While they were away two men walked into my office shut the door behind them and said they were from the Police Special Branch and that one of our Russians was involved in 'clandestine' operations. My first reaction was to laugh but they were serious and told me that one of the Russians had made and received phone calls in my office to someone at an address in London and what did I know about it.

We had noticed that one of the Russians was not an engineer and we jokingly assumed he was a KGB man sent to keep watch on the others. He had seemed harmless to us and the only problem we had was the number of times we had to pick him up from the Sutton Coldfield Police to get him back to his hotel at 138, Birmingham Rd. The police often called us late at night to tell us he was drunk and disorderly in Sutton Parade. I could not imagine him carrying out clandestine operations but who knows.

When the time came for my visit to the USSR my wife was very worried and I was not at all happy but I wanted to keep my job. I have tended to give the lighter side of my visit but when the time came for a second urgent visit I purposely made a mess of renewing my passport so could not go.

Last edited:
Moor Street Station looking towards Carrs Lane - the back of Marks and Spencers is about the end of the modern view all change from then on. I like the colonnade style windows of the warehouse in the distance and note how large the University building looks.

View attachment 157383
I think the John Ball picture complements this picture. Also shows the old Carr's Lane church that features in a subsequent post from Steve.(#1816)

Attachments

• Screenshot (208).png
    Screenshot (208).png
    826.3 KB · Views: 46
Quick one for the moment - a very damp day with ghost sign, shop fronts and a few scattered gents - the start of the sign says "Staff" not the best quality - I have a silly idea its not Birmingham - yellow and black posts - can you prove me wrong?
EDIT: Stafford Street Birmingham, see replies #1840 onwards- thanks everyone.

Test259.jpg

Last edited:
Quick one for the moment - a very damp day with ghost sign, shop fronts and a few scattered gents - the start of the sign says "Staff" not the best quality - I have a silly idea its not Birmingham - yellow and black posts - can you prove me wrong?

View attachment 157400
Looks like Stafford Street looking towards Moor St. I used to buy second hand records from one of those shops.

I wondered if it was Stafford Street as I could just make out a road name in the corner beginning Staff....
As for the yellow/black posts didn't belisha beacon posts used to be that colour?

Banjo also said that in post 1840.
Lyn - just trying to see if we have any Stafford Street photos on the forum.

Banjo also said that in post 1840.
Lyn - just trying to see if we have any Stafford Street photos on the forum.
I went by a quick Google which didn't bring one up in Birmingham but plenty in the Black Country - I think I will go back to denying anything and let you all fill in the gaps !!
Thanks to all of you for your investigative work

I went by a quick Google which didn't bring one up in Birmingham but plenty in the Black Country - I think I will go back to denying anything and let you all fill in the gaps !!
Thanks to all of you for your investigative work
That is because it doesn't exist any more.
1969 map shows half of it had already vanished. Stafford Street in yellow
1621867712119.png

Best I could find, top right is Stafford Street I believe, note the lack of buildings, flyovers and underpasses. Note the nice little traffic island at Lancaster Circus.

View attachment 157412
nice shot steve...i should know it but what is the name of the church looking all forlorn on the left..be surprised it its still there now

lyn

Twin spires - and the path nearest the camera. It makes you realise how much went from round it. Can't decide if Archbishop's House is the white building on the far side - think it must be. Not sure when it was built.

Twin spires - and the path nearest the camera. It makes you realise how much went from round it. Can't decide if Archbishop's House is the white building on the far side - think it must be. Not sure when it was built.
as many have said over the years jan...birmingham will never be finished

Back