• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Finally for today a bit of colour for you Great Charles Street and Easy Row in winter. taken from where the Copthorne Hotel is now (?) . Once you work out where you are then then realise how much is missing. Nice selection of cars - is that a Rolls Royce and a couple a people standing in the road in |Great Charles Street.

GtCharlesStEasyRow 1.jpg

Finally for today a bit of colour for you Great Charles Street and Easy Row in winter. taken from where the Copthorne Hotel is now (?) . Once you work out where you are then then realise how much is missing. Nice selection of cars - is that a Rolls Royce and a couple a people standing in the road in |Great Charles Street.

View attachment 157428
Fantastic photos, as always! Thank you Steve!

756 Coventry Road - 1982 Old style house with windows and door in funny places - trying to work out the layout of the building as there seems to be toilets and sinks in a number of rooms!.

View attachment 157427
This view is from 2015 as there is a large tree in leaf blocking the view in 2020 Streetview.
As for the pipework it would have had no inside bathroom to begin with and so when it was added (possibly in one of the bedrooms) there would have been "add on" pipework.

Attachments

• 756 Coventry Road - 2021.JPG
    756 Coventry Road - 2021.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 20
so I have posted most of these before - it was bound to happen - apologies :joy: , shouldn't work and try to post!!
No only that one although two of the others are next to or opposite angle from previous shots so they are new. it may be that the Boulton Road is a new photo but I thought it was the same.

Was it Boulton Road in Handsworth?

No - I take that back - the bus looks like number 8 on the back.
I think you might be right.
This shot is taken from Streetview although much further up the road than the original photo.
1621954906329.png
Blue marks possible "school" building and red marks where the "ghost" sign might be.
What does anyone else think?

Replying to my own question. (Hope that is a bad sign). Although the "school" and "sign position" fit I can't find a side road on the right which fits.

I think you might be right.
This shot is taken from Streetview although much further up the road than the original photo.
View attachment 157434
Blue marks possible "school" building and red marks where the "ghost" sign might be.
What does anyone else think?

I'm not sure the windows of the school are the same - closer together and they look higher in the original photo?

Screenshot_20210525-161438_Samsung Internet.jpg

If you look at the old photo it is in the distance before the big island was build and everything was flattened - Bolton Road leads into Byron with Golden Hillock Road crossing or so I think - but we know how I have done today !!

jan it is stafford st...one of our members john knights sign writing shop is arrowed in this photo..

View attachment 157405
Sorry for the late response to this post. I was amazed when I found out that this photograph was Stafford Street. It is nothing like how I remember it. Stafford Street was around the corner from Coleshill Street and a stones throw from my home in Gopsal Street. There used to be a tv shop there, called Stubers. My mom and dad rented a tv from them I think, or was it that she was a cleaner there. They moved premises to town: Do you remember the steps in New Street, down to the markets, that dark underpass?? Sure they were based there, on the right. Couldn’t see the shop in the pic, which is a shame. I am off thread again, get carried away but thanks for the memories. Many thanks to Steve, again. I really like the photo. Grubby and rundown or not.
Kind regards, Sue

View attachment 157428
steve the loss of easy row including the magnificent woodman pub and all of its georgian buildings was nothing short of criminal

lyn

View attachment 157428
Sorry, it’s just a common or garden Jaguar Mk VIII, and there’s another Jag facing the other way in front of the orange van. Could be Mk X or an S-type, but it’s a bit small to tell.

View attachment 157428
Love this picture even though I didn't know where it was. That must be rear of Mason College we can see. Is that a Midland Red logo on the white building on the corner

Following on from yesterdays post and further down the road from #1,697, again this is Easy Row, nice floral display on the island, and a great group of scooters. Of course all now long gone.

View attachment 157456

12 Easy Row was one of the locations I picked up on the Grid Project in 2017. The original photo taken by Phyllis Nicklin in 1960 and then by me in 2017

CC60-David-Moore.jpg

A bit further north than you are used to 31 Holland Street Sutton Coldfield, 1974, which is the side street - this is Birmingham Road I think. This shot has appeared online with my name credit but I was never sure how !! - fine selection of local shops - not sure of the gable end on Gills though. Gills used to have a model railway in the window, I know because my father in law made it and its in my loft !! - he did a similar one for the model shop in the old shopping centre in Perry Barr.

31 Holland Street -SC 74.jpg

Back