• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Bit of spare time so a few more pictures for you - in this picture the canal and foreground is recognisable but much of the background has gone, factories flattened and the bridge over the railway too.

View attachment 157666
great photo steve and soon to change again when the longboat pub is demolished...had many a happy hour in there

lyn

The £7 Dryer in #1416 - was that one of those Flatley things or a tumble dryer. I seem to recollect that the Flatleys were around £3.50, but have no idea of the price of a tumble dryer in those times as we were never rich enough to buy one!

Maurice :cool:

Something a bit different, a advert hoarding of a type I don't recall, in a location I don't know.
The wall sign in the background is distinctive so perhaps that might help. The Cadbury sign has not changed much over the years, but I don't think you can get a dryer for £7 and what happened to the MEB!!

View attachment 157668
Interesting that the advertisements are all for local companies. It's also an unusual structure. Maybe for a special local event.

Finally the top of Cherry Street showing what has gone on both sides of the road. Fine selection of fashions where short seems to be in. Note the gent just coming back with his purchase from Rackham's. In the distance is a wallpaper shop and a fine enamel road sign above the door. The observant may have noticed a sign for Monday 2nd October 1972 , so we know the year - any idea of the event?

View attachment 157670
I think Cherry Wallpapers had an earlier shop that faced directly on to Cherry St opposite the later Rackhams building. I can remember my Dad taking me there to look at the display of papers in the window (and the price!).

Here is a picture of the Rotunda nearing completion, some floors lacking windows and the shops round the base boarded up. The front of New street station is still there so before re build. To eras of Corporation bus on show, front and rear entry types. Note also cars coming out of the High Street / New Street turning, also like the Times Furnishing sign with Burton tailoring underneath.

View attachment 157667
A picture taken by my late uncle from a lower position, showing the Rotunda a little earlier in its development.

I think Cherry Wallpapers had an earlier shop that faced directly on to Cherry St opposite the later Rackhams building. I can remember my Dad taking me there to look at the display of papers in the window (and the price!).
Was the date, apart from being my birthday, the introduction of "Pedestrianisation" of Cherry St.?

Last edited:
Hi people. I have been reading your wonderful posts with especially the photos for some days.
Many pages ago you were discussing the car registration COM1C. Moss garage was mentioned. I can confirm that Moss Garage was at 1163 Chester Road. I worked at Contractors Plant Group which was at 1161. The CP Group had purchased the site from Hangers Ford in around '69/70. Here is your picture of 1157 dated 1968. You can see the post, just about, but the "OL of the PETROL sign is visible. Then look at my picture taken from inside 1161 showing my Austin-Healey Sprite in 1960/70, the sign is there as is the PETROL sign on Moss Garages forecourt. Plus a pic of me with my MGB in 1970 oside 1161.
I seem to remember that the house next door [1159] was new. CP Group purchased a large part of the rear garden.
1157 Chester Road - 68.jpg

Healey_6.jpg

JOB2E.jpg

So I can catagorically confirm Moss Garage was at 1163 Chester Road, Erdington.

Hi people. I have been reading your wonderful posts with especially the photos for some days.
Many pages ago you were discussing the car registration COM1C. Moss garage was mentioned. I can confirm that Moss Garage was at 1163 Chester Road. I worked at Contractors Plant Group which was at 1161. The CP Group had purchased the site from Hangers Ford in around '69/70. Here is your picture of 1157 dated 1968. You can see the post, just about, but the "OL of the PETROL sign is visible. Then look at my picture taken from inside 1161 showing my Austin-Healey Sprite in 1960/70, the sign is there as is the PETROL sign on Moss Garages forecourt. Plus a pic of me with my MGB in 1970 oside 1161.
I seem to remember that the house next door [1159] was new. CP Group purchased a large part of the rear garden.
View attachment 157683

View attachment 157684

View attachment 157685

Hi Keith, welcome and thanks for taking the time to provide the pictures and information, glad you enjoy the photographs

View attachment 157683

View attachment 157684

View attachment 157685

I recall there was also a factory called Moss Gears too

View attachment 157683

View attachment 157684

View attachment 157685

hi keith thanks for the post and information...what a suburb car the austin healey is..

lyn

View attachment 157683

View attachment 157684

View attachment 157685

Without the haze, regards, John.

Attachments

• Chester Rd Erdington.jpg
    Chester Rd Erdington.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 33
Next an image of change - I have a selection of these showing how the city was rebuilt. Alpha Tower was a few floors up and the TV studios were nearly finished. ( Interestingly I have images of the building to the left of the bank been demolished which I will post some day.) The Library is under construction - how many years was it before they closed in the wind tunnel underneath!. Also note the strange sloping car park at the rear of Baskerville house.
Test154 1.jpg

Here is another anonymous picture of the suburbs, with the old and new together. No clue although the picture in the foreground may be recognisable to someone. The properties in the background seem to be the standard council buildings which were built in Newtown and Ladywood and many other locations. Nice motorbike under the covers - a "proper" bike probably made locally.

Test347 1.jpg

For this picture we have to thank Uncle Ernest, someone else who had dozens of slides and negatives and a couple that were interesting. Another view of the redevelopment of Birmingham, a bit earlier than the previous view , plenty of cranes and a few old building that survived at that time on the right. I presume this is his car in the foreground - again another snowy winters day.

20191127191815_04 (2).jpg

Next an image of change - I have a selection of these showing how the city was rebuilt. Alpha Tower was a few floors up and the TV studios were nearly finished. ( Interestingly I have images of the building to the left of the bank been demolished which I will post some day.) The Library is under construction - how many years was it before they closed in the wind tunnel underneath!. Also note the strange sloping car park at the rear of Baskerville house.
View attachment 157730
great shot steve....some may know already but just in case...the car park to the right of baskerville house was once the site of the winfield brass co and before the new library was built on the site the archeologists went in and excavated the whole site...i spent many days up there taking photos..steve which bank was demolished?

lyn

Finally to a more modern picture although this is still 40 odd years old, 70 Hazelwell Street in 1973. People with shopping bags on a damp day. Cigarettes at 21p and advert next to it extols the virtues of letting your fingers do the walking. A look down the road on the right sees a large lorry coming towards us and note there is no litter - different times! Enjoy

70 Hazelwell Street - 73.jpg

Here is another anonymous picture of the suburbs, with the old and new together. No clue although the picture in the foreground may be recognisable to someone. The properties in the background seem to be the standard council buildings which were built in Newtown and Ladywood and many other locations. Nice motorbike under the covers - a "proper" bike probably made locally.

View attachment 157732
would lay money on it not being newtown steve...i would know if it was..hopefully someone may know

lyn

great shot steve....some may know already but just in case...the car park to the right of baskerville house was once the site of the winfield brass co and before the new library was built on the site the archeologists went in and excavated the whole site...i spent many days up there taking photos..steve which bank was demolished?

lyn
Sorry my wording the building to the left of the bank

Attachments

• 22052008.jpg
    22052008.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
The modern lot are three story maisonettes, my brother and his family moved into a newly built one in the sixties in the council's overspill estate in Aldridge.

Post #1,941
There is a street sign on the right. I have tried to clarify it but not much success, my eyesight is not that good. Could be Church Street,Road, Lane or something similar???

Post #1,941
There is a street sign on the right. I have tried to clarify it but not much success, my eyesight is not that good. Could be Church Street,Road, Lane or something similar???
spotted mike....although it is a tough one...no idea

Back