• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fleur-de-Lys pies

Post#19 Graham your picture makes me feel hungry and also brings back memories of my husband driving my Mom and Dad and our two children from Hall Green to Lowsonford so that we each could enjoy a pie in the grounds of the Pub. I think Fleur-de-Lys pies were also sold in some fish and chip shops too. Anthea.

Where did I say there was anything wrong with horse meat? Its good meat although overall not as good as beef but thats just my opinion.

I ate horse meat for years when in France and Belgium, slightly sweeter than beef but on the whole very pleasent. Sold in millions of places in WW1 and WW2 in Britain and a normal meat supply up to the 20th C, I never understood the misconception over here with it.
paul

I don't eat any sort of meat but I agree with what posters are saying, if you are happy to eat meat, what's the problem about any sort of animal!

I don't eat any sort of meat but I agree with what posters are saying, if you are happy to eat meat, what's the problem about any sort of animal!

You are quite right, over the years I tried all sorts from squirrel to mopane worms, some was good, some not.

Fleur-de-Lys Pies, Steak & Kidney and Chicken & Mushroom were sold by Alex from a caravan at the back of the Old Rep in Station Street. In the 60's on a Sunday night late, soldiers waiting to go back from a long weekend leave would wait around the van eating pies and drinking tea. The coaches would arrive anytime from 11:00pm onward.

I loved them and there are no pies around now that come close, other than my other half's and she also makes awesome Steak & Kidney Puddings.

A while later Alex opened a restaurant at the top end of New Street which only lasted a few years.

Up thread Lowsonford and the Fleur-de-Lys PH was mentioned. I knew Lowsonford and that area from my canal interest days but being too young never went in the pub. However, in around 1965, in a visit to relatives in the area, we did go there and sample the pies. I have no idea if they were the same as the others mentioned here but suffice to say there were good.
One place I always was welcomed for my packet (or two) of Smiths Crisps was the Aqueduct PH at Shirley. That was when it was in pretty original state of course.

I am sure that this place was at the bottom of Stoney Lane
I loved the Chicken&Mushroom pies back in the day, they had their own special taste. Fleur de Lis pies developed into quite a craze I recall, they seemed to sell them all over the place, a shop opened in Town selling them exclusively. Sadly, I can't remember where.

From what i recall,the horsemeat shop was on Highgate Road,directly acrosss the road from the town end of Ladypool road.
I can see it now,the last time i set eyes on the place was in 1976 when i was living in Balsall Heath.

I can remember that shop that sold Horse meat. It was actually on the Town side of the end of Stoney Lane before the Stoney Lane/Highgate Road junction was changed.

I also, was taken by my parents by car to Lowsonford, where I had to sit outside with a soft drink and await a pie.:)

I went back some years later and was enjoying a relaxing evening when a young boy burst in shouting for a Doctor. He and his father had been on a narrow boat parked on the 'cut' next the Pub when the Father had collapsed. In the absence of any other responses, and being First Aid trained, I responded.

Despite attempts, the Father had 'gone' but for the sake of the young lad, I had to keep things going (until the Ambulance arrived), even getting the lad to give mouth to mouth. Hopefully, for the sake of the young person involved, he will have had the satisfaction of knowing that, 'he did his best'.

It's just one of those events that one never forgets!

Shall transfer all the Alex's pie stand references to that thread Lyn. Thanks for finding it. Viv. Edit. All pie stand posts now moved to Alex's Pie Stands thread.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the history of the pub from Bill Boyds post, especially the fact that the original recipe was sold to what became Pukka Pies. A worthy successor.

I agree mw0njm. Especially Pork Pies, never ever enough jelly, always hollow and dry, the old fashioned, Pork Pies were delicious, and full of jelly no air pockets.

Mum always swore by Fleur-de-Lys. I think, but not 100% sure, she sold them in Wright’s the bakers shop that she managed. Our local (Greek) chip shop always had them warming in a Fleur-de-Lys glass case on the counter. Viv.

Last edited:
We went to the Fleur de Lys for a meal a couple of weeks ago, my husband recalled that when he was young and his Dad took him fishing he would walk along the canal bank to buy pies at the hole in the wall and take them back to his Dad and brother.
When the couple who own the pub now took over they told us that everyone had a story to tell about buying pies there years ago.

Whenever I went to my local chip shop I had a choice of which pie to buy. Telfers had two pies, small for 9d and large for 11d. If I could afford it I would buy the Fleur-de-Lys for 1/1d. Enjoyable as it was, I recall that I always seemed to only have enough to buy the large Telfer pie.

Last edited:
Back