• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fleur-de-Lys pies

My favorite evening out was a trip to the the Fleur de Lys pies Pub at Lowsanford. Even the trip in Winter from Small Heath 17 miles and 30 minutes drive was enjoyable and getting stuck in snow. I now live in Berwick Melbourne some 23 hours and 4,729 pounds air fare. If I could I would be there in a flash, but no pies.

Ernie

Not only were the pies good but the place was good also a nice drive on a summers night
Fleur De Lys at Lowsonford was run at the time when the pies became all the rage by a couple and it was his wife who was French who made the pies. Then they became so popular a company paid to use the name, not quite the same pie as the one served at the pub itself. Fishing one Autumn day at Lowsonford Uncle Alf was with us now he likes a pie. It started to rain, Uncle Alf said I am going for a walk. Me and my father knew where he was going. I think he went on three walks between 12 and 2.30 and another two walks as the evening set in.

Was looking through this site recalling memories of pies though the wall and the English countryside I left when coming to Australia in 1961.
Two things suprisedly
Cheers jumped out me;-
The owners of the pub were Nick and Emma, same na
mes as our grandson and his partner.
A fellow member lives in Berwick, Victoria, a couple of leisurely hours drive from me here in Yarram.

Telfers pies were all the rage at the chippies at one time. Wonder what happened to them. The best in bake pies in the 70s were Braggs. I think they were swallowed up by Greggs. Then the filling disappeared, used to go to the Bragg’s shop on Coventry Rd just past Green Lane turning at 11.55 as the first batch came out of the oven at 12.00. Could not wait to take a bite. Burnt my lips on more than one occasion.

I seem to remember Telfers pies as being pretty poor quality, lumps of grisle and poor pastry. They were probably very cheap, so that would be why the chippies were keen on them

I seem to remember Telfers pies as being pretty poor quality, lumps of grisle and poor pastry. They were probably very cheap, so that would be why the chippies were keen on them
Just looked them up, I remember the name but not the taste! Mike is correct they were considered a down mark product with a checkered past for sanitary and quality purposes. They were take over by Lyons in 1933 who seemed not to be able to fix it. Lyons was taken over by Allied who basically closed it down.

Hi....Just thought I'd let you know that I was a driver delivering Fleur-De-Lys pies from Merthyr Tydfil depot ( South Wales ) from 1980 - 1987. There were about 10 routes operating from this depot and 5 from Swansea depot. My area was Llantrisant, Cardiff and Barry including the seaside area of Barry Island. During the summer my truck ( Bedford TK ) was loaded to the brim, as the holidaymakers loved the selection of pies on offer.
Besides the usual steak & kidney pie, our range included chicken & mushroom, minced beef & onion (known in the trade as MBOs) cornish pasties (known as dinosaurs) puff pasties (corned beef & onion) chicken, curry and beef & onion pasties. Added to this we sold sausage rolls, rissoles, faggots, small & jumbo sausages, saveloys and when brand new vehicles were delivered in 1984, with separate freezer compartments up front, we sold chicken portions, par-fried chips, fishcakes and more.
I remember the address on the side of the vans as....Avana meat products Ltd. 142, Emscote Road, Warwick and the products were " trunked " down daily by arctic lorries to the depot. As F.D.L. was part of the Avana group, Avana had a cake depot in Cardiff and so we also use to sell slab cakes as well.... I can still remember the bedfords I drove....BRW 858T (Coventry registered) XWK 952X and my last truck (brand new) was B923 0KV.
Sadly I remember the ' horse meat ' scandal of the mid 80s. when unfortunately several of our customers refused for our vehicles to be parked outside their businesses for fear of loss of trade, but still continued to buy from us. As a result (in South Wales) the trading name was changed from Fleur-De-Lys Pies, to Delberry foods and in my opinion, this was the decline in the South Wales operation.
I loved my time at the company, made good friends at work and loved the interaction with my customers. I have many good memories and have included a few photos (my son is in a couple of them, he's now 42) and to think that when he was 5 years old, he used to follow behind me into the fish shops, struggling with a small box of pies....(no health & safety then, thank goodness) having been in work with me (his choice) since 5.30am.
Hope my recollection of my time at Fleur-De-Lys pies has sparked some interest and memories for you and know that if you loved the taste, you will agree with me, that its a shame that another good company has gone to the " wall. "16600010889753148020824321579899.jpg16600013393596042819380281500575.jpg16600014571884226903187385312630.jpg

Attachments

• 16600012007101018323094653885468.jpg
    16600012007101018323094653885468.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Hi....Just thought I'd let you know that I was a driver delivering Fleur-De-Lys pies from Merthyr Tydfil depot ( South Wales ) from 1980 - 1987. There were about 10 routes operating from this depot and 5 from Swansea depot. My area was Llantrisant, Cardiff and Barry including the seaside area of Barry Island. During the summer my truck ( Bedford TK ) was loaded to the brim, as the holidaymakers loved the selection of pies on offer.
Besides the usual steak & kidney pie, our range included chicken & mushroom, minced beef & onion (known in the trade as MBOs) cornish pasties (known as dinosaurs) puff pasties (corned beef & onion) chicken, curry and beef & onion pasties. Added to this we sold sausage rolls, rissoles, faggots, small & jumbo sausages, saveloys and when brand new vehicles were delivered in 1984, with separate freezer compartments up front, we sold chicken portions, par-fried chips, fishcakes and more.
I remember the address on the side of the vans as....Avana meat products Ltd. 142, Emscote Road, Warwick and the products were " trunked " down daily by arctic lorries to the depot. As F.D.L. was part of the Avana group, Avana had a cake depot in Cardiff and so we also use to sell slab cakes as well.... I can still remember the bedfords I drove....BRW 858T (Coventry registered) XWK 952X and my last truck (brand new) was B923 0KV.
Sadly I remember the ' horse meat ' scandal of the mid 80s. when unfortunately several of our customers refused for our vehicles to be parked outside their businesses for fear of loss of trade, but still continued to buy from us. As a result (in South Wales) the trading name was changed from Fleur-De-Lys Pies, to Delberry foods and in my opinion, this was the decline in the South Wales operation.
I loved my time at the company, made good friends at work and loved the interaction with my customers. I have many good memories and have included a few photos (my son is in a couple of them, he's now 42) and to think that when he was 5 years old, he used to follow behind me into the fish shops, struggling with a small box of pies....(no health & safety then, thank goodness) having been in work with me (his choice) since 5.30am.
Hope my recollection of my time at Fleur-De-Lys pies has sparked some interest and memories for you and know that if you loved the taste, you will agree with me, that its a shame that another good company has gone to the " wall. "View attachment 172154View attachment 172156View attachment 172157
A great piece of history! The only pies I knew were steak and kidney & chicken and mushroom. Thanks for the memoirs!

A great piece of history! The only pies I knew were steak and kidney & chicken and mushroom. Thanks for the memoirs!
The Fleur De Lys at Lowsenford where these originated from only made Steak and Kidney and Chicken and Mushroom. These conglomerates buy the name and then screw it for all its worth. That's why people turn away from them they are nothing like the original. Bragg's in Solihull had a brilliant Steak and Kidney pie in the seventies these were taken over by a well known high street brand and the filling disappeared.

I’m a veggie these days but in the 60s, returning to Snow Hill station from Wolverhampton my train would get in at 00.30 giving me 30 minutes to catch the 1.00am night service bus. A fast-food catering van outside the station sold Fleur de Lys chicken and mushroom pies and they were a ‘must buy.’ I can remember the taste now. Totally delicious.

:yum:yum:yum
images
images

Last edited:
I’m a veggie these days but in the 60s, returning to Snow Hill station from Wolverhampton my train would get in at 00.30 giving me 30 minutes to catch the 1.00am night service bus. A fast-food catering van outside the station sold Fleur de Lys chicken and mushroom pies and they were a ‘must buy.’ I can remember the taste now. Totally delicious.
I remember the pie stand outside Snow Hill station from the 70's, a particular friend liked to go there after playing a gig in central Brum!

Our regular stop after a night at the Tower Ballroom late sixties. Steak and Kidney mind you not Turkey

You can still get good pork pies, as with proper fish and chips.in Yorkshire, as long as you avaoid the national names.
Mike , you certainly can our butcher in the village does a variety of pork pies with different ingredients added to the pork , I major on the basic pork pie I'm a bit of a stick in the mud .

Last edited:
I remember the pie stand outside Snow Hill station from the 70's, a particular friend liked to go there after playing a gig in central Brum!
A friend of mine older than me remembers in the 60's on a Friday night/morning after the Locarno he and his mate would walk over to Snow Hill and have FdL steak and kidney pie a hamburger and a cup of coffee each , that dancing takes it out of you ,Phew .

Last edited:
A friend of mine older than me remembers in the 60's on a Friday night/morning after the Locarno he and his mate would walk over to Snow Hill and have FdL steak and kidney pie a hamburger and a cup of coffee each , that dancing takes it out of you ,Phew .
I stopped there a few times! Your friend must have been starving :)

Mike , you certainly can our butcher in the village does a variety of pork pies with different ingredients added to the pork , I major on the basic pork pie I'm a bit of a stick in the mud .
We get plenty of Pasties here in Cornwall but the major chains are usually rubbish just full of veg and little meat.

Yes she does. She’s moved to a business park here in Helston and her shop is in Porthleven. She closed the lizard base down a couple of years ago.

Must admit I have never heard of Lizard pies, but think I might be put off by the name , similarly , though for different reasons, by Hedgehog crisps

chomping a steaming hot Fleur-de-lys pie and gravy on a cold snowy night sitting parked up in livery st in my patrol van at break time loverly:yum
Saturday nights, mid sixties and early seventies were not complete without a visit to the pie stand at Snow Hill before getting the night service bus out of town. Favourite was the famous "Cow Pie". Memories do get distorted but the taste was something special - the only thing that comes near these days are the Charlie Bigham steak and ale pies, available at your nearest supermarket. They are not cheap but they are very, very good!

I have just stumbled in to one of the earlier pages in this thread, which was an offered link in a search for something else so I was quite surprised when the target turned out to be about pies!

And then I actually read a little more just out of curiosity, came across the fact of it being about Fleur de Lys pies in particular, and the floodgates opened to a whole river of rememberings!!

When I left school in the early 60s I decided not to do the traditional Gap Year break before Uni and go travelling, but instead to take a job with the sole aim of saving as much as I could for that year as I knew a lump of extra cash would then come in very handy!

So I took an office job with a firm on Colmore Row, which involved some clerical work and also some office-junior type admin things such as making sure stationery supplies etc were kept stocked-up, taking/fetching special documents etc to/from others we worked with/through around the City, learning and operating the in-house printer/copier (old-meaning!) that was used for smaller reports etc rather than go out to a Printer, taking care of the outbound post each afternoon, and other routine things that every former-office-junior here will also have done.

And amongst those was the lunch-run ... see where I am going?

There were a couple of dozen or-so people working there. Some left the building at lunchtime, some stayed but always bought a sandwich lunch with them each day. But the rest, about a dozen, was where the most important person with the most important job in the place came in to their own ... taking the orders and fetching the lunches!

A couple would want a particular sandwich fresh-made from Lewis's, one or two would have brought some fruit or salad but would want a croissant or some pastries with them, but the lunch connoisseurs required the Ambrosia that was ... a Fleur de Lys pie!

At that point I had never actually heard of meat pies in terms of specific brand names just their fillings, but for the first 2-3 times I was taken through the routine of going round all the Staff and writing a list and taking the money, and then seeing where to go for this and that and the other. "We'll leave the pies for last, they'll need to still be hot".

On the first day I happened to notice pies in places we went to first for something, and expected to be buying pies there too but how wrong could I be!

We also got two croissants and I think a couple of cream cakes that time from another place like a Wimbush and part of me wonders if that was somewhere near Lewis's but its barely a memory at all now ... and some kind of side-order for a drink (I remember it was in a bottle not a carton then .. guessing pop or a fruit drink but I really can't now remember, just that it was an extra thing to fetch.)

So that just left the pies, and I was shown to the place they HAD to be bought from.

It was a cafe/restaurant/patisserie/SOMEthing (I can't remember the greater detail now) that was very close to the top of New Street on the north side just before the curve that then looped you around past Lyons and steered you back up in to that end of Colmore Row pretty much, which handily was not far at all from the office!

The way we had already gone for this-and-that meant we were coming at it from lower down New St., and as we got closer I noticed a queue ahead for something. And then I saw that it was a queue waiting to be served at an open hatch in the window of where we were headed, through which it seemed that half the office population of the city centre were buying their lunches!

And when it was our turn, THAT was when I got the message! All it took was the delicious smell :)

The next day I didn't bother with a packed lunch, and instead had my first FdeL S&K pie. De-li-cious.

And for the rest of that week, and for the rest of the year-ish that I was there too, lunch Mon-Fri was always ... yup!

And just to add ...

Remembering that for the first time in too many decades has also drifted me in to so many memories of people and more that are connected with that time and place, like the caretakers' basement flat where I would go to collect a huge pot of tea mid-morning and mid-afternoon that they had been paid quite separately to provide, and where sometimes I would disappear for a naughty half-hour break of my own with them, a nice elderly couple.

So it is always worth checking where search-links take you, even the no-connection ones can turn out to have much waiting just for you!

TQ

Last edited:
Back