• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fleur-de-Lys pies

G

g6isa

It's 40+ years later and I live 100 miles away but I still occasionally get a craving for a Fleur-de-Lys chicken and mushroom pie. They were made at the Fleur -de-Lys pub in Warwickshire and they had a place in New Street. Flakey pastry and a beautiful filling.....I'm off again!

Wonderful, better than all them ruddy peppery tasting so called Cornish pasties which were so bland and only ate after a skin full

Sadly, the pub no longer makes those pies, but its still a nice place to sit on a summers night. ::)

g6isa,
welcome to the forum, if you search the site you will find many references to Fleur-de-lys pies and Alex the pie man,seems many members enjoyed them, me included.
I assume by your username you are a radio ham,I am also licenced as G6ZDQ.

Colin

Postie, could you please tell me exactly where the pub is that used to make those delicious Fleur-de-Lys pies. I can remember going there and seeing loads of people waiting for the pies and enjoying drinks outside. I too used to love the Chicken and Mushroom pies.
Funny how certain things stick in your memory...anything to do with something like those pies would be high on the memory list. Thanks.

The thing that amazes me is that no young chef/pastry cook grabs an opportunity to corner a very lucrative market that also has a history. I believe that people would pay moe for a QUALITY pie or pastie. I remember, some time ago, a small local shop was owned by a chap that had trained as a 'French Pastry' chef. He started to make some pies just for his regular customers and before long, people were coming from miles away. He eventually opened up a French patisserie and to my knowlege is still going stong. His prices have risen dramatically, but he doesn't compromise on the quality of his pies. They are crammed with meat and ingredients that you can recognise, and are superb.

Question:- If you could buy old style Fleur De Lys pies for twice the price of a chip shop pie.............would you?

Jennyann, the pub is at Lowsonford which is near Lapworth. Unfortunately the menu has now gone up market, with meals like wild boar, venison and pheasant etc.but no pies. :'(
Mind you, I find PUKKA pies are quite a good alternative. ^-^

Frantic I totally agree I would pay more for a quality pie or bakery product any day of the week - patries and breads have become a dying craft and one I dearly miss - all this steam baked bread and supermarket stuff isn't like a proper "old fashioned" bakery at all - the quality and taste isn't there. I miss proper crusty bread :'(

I did have a PUKKA pie recently it cost £2.30 and it was one of the best pies I have had in recent years - but not a Fluer De Lys pie -

Don't hold back Alf..........tell us what you REALLY think :2funny: :2funny:

It's 40+ years later and I live 100 miles away but I still occasionally get a craving for a Fleur-de-Lys chicken and mushroom pie. They were made at the Fleur -de-Lys pub in Warwickshire and they had a place in New Street. Flakey pastry and a beautiful filling.....I'm off again!
I virtually lived on Fleur de Lys pies when I taught in Northfield in the late 50's/early 60's. Used to buy them from the chippie in Bell Lane.

Oh yes, I remember them well. A summer evening and a Fleur-de-Lys pie after a ride out to Knowle I believe.

Like many people I loved the Fleur de Lys pies. Lowsonford was literally beseiged on weekends with people coming in cars to the pub for the pies. I can't remember where in Brum we brought the pies. There wasn't a fast food culture back then and people just loved those pies. We used to take the Sunday papers in the family car and drive all around that area then find a place to park and have a read. Great memories.
I found a letter on one site written by a lady whose grandparents owned the Fleur de Lys pub and her mother began making the pies. Eventually, the pub was sold to Flowers Brewery and then to Whitbreads. Their menu is very high end these days.

https://hearteng.110mb.com/villages/lowsonford.htm
https://www.francisfrith.com/lowsonford/memories/fleur-de-lys_127991/

Hi guys
speaking of food do any of you recll frozen foods called risols
can you still buy them i have not seen then advertised for many years
best wshes astonian ;;;

I remember my junior school used to serve up risoles as a school dinner - not something we ever had at home I'm glad to say, I didn't like them!

On our Sunday cycle run in the early 60's we at the Solihull Cycling Club often had an early or tea-time stop at the Fleur-de-Lys pub and it was always one of our favourite "watering holes". These past 43 years I've lived in Belgium, arguably we have the best kitchen in the world and one of the all time favourites here is very similar to those Fleur-de-Lys pies, we call them Koninginnenhapjes (Queens snacks) in French Vol-au-vent or Bouchées-a-la-reine often referred to here as Videes. You can find many recipes on YouTube.
img_2179.jpg

Mum, Dad sis Joan and I went in Dads Rover every other Sunday or so to the Pub, Loved the Steak and kidney ones, John Crump OldBrit Parker Co USA

Last edited:
fleur de lys pies were the greatest my favourit was the steak and kidney they used to serve them at the chippy at the bottom part of selly oak on the bristol road. now cannot get them here but I buy Pukka pies nearly as good, but not the same.

The atmosphere was worth the drive, Sundays packed to the gills. walked along the canal, Dranks lots of GOOD beer, wonderfull times. John Crump Oldbrit in Parker. Co USA

A strange coincidence but ----

I've just been shopping at my local Sainsbury's and they have Pukka Pies on offer at the price of 2 for £2.

Have bought six!

Shardeen, dad always calls them cake and sidney pies - he confused the poor waiter in a pub in Devon last year when she asked what he wanted by asking for that!!
Sue

Back