• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Michael_Ingram

Lingards. Nursery Road - Sewing Shop, Clothing Manufacturers

Can anyone remember the name of a clothing manufacturers, sewing workshop, etc., in Nursery Road, the Hockley Brook end please?
  2. Michael_Ingram

Is This A Girl's Uniform

This is a photograph of my Mom taken around 1912. Is she wearing a uniform? If so any clues. She seems to be all in black; the hat and scarf(?) seem like part of a uniform. Possible clues and information: She went to St Matthias's school in Wheeler Street. She went to the chapel in Guildford...
  3. Michael_Ingram

Museum of Science and Industry Computer Playing Draughts

Does anyone have a photo of the computer that played draughts with you, (and usually won) please? It was in the old Museum of Science and Industry in Newhall St in the 40s and 50s.
  4. Michael_Ingram

Your Gran or Mom with a Moustache

Found this in a sale. Photographer - May and Co, 279 Wheeler Street, Lozells
  5. Michael_Ingram

Conway Road School Sparkbrook Photo about 1900 - 1905

I found this photo in a sale. It is of Conway Road School, I guess around 1900 - 1905. Somebody's mom or gran must be here
  6. Michael_Ingram

Reunion Dinner Puzzle

Can anyone help with this photo? It was taken by a Handsworth photographer - Taylor's Press Service, 366 Soho Road. I have fiddled with the exposure and can see that the menus on the table read 'Reunion Dinner'; nothing else is clear enough to identify. My Dad is in the photo and he was in the...
  7. Michael_Ingram

WW! Service Records: Clarify Detail

Can anyone help with this detail of my Dad's records. What could be the word after 'Unit: advanced' please
  8. Michael_Ingram

WW1 Service Records Question

Can anyone help with this detail of my Dad's records. What could be the word after 'Unit: advanced' please?
  9. Michael_Ingram

Queens Road Aston (not Erdington)

Is anyone familiar with Queens Road Aston? Were there houses there in 1963ish? Were there new flats or tower blocks by any chance? Many thanks
  10. Michael_Ingram

Grange Lane Bordesley 1841

Can any one help locate Grange Lane, Bordesley, (NOT Grange lane, Erdington). It was there in and around 1841, possibly near Grange Road (guessing). Many thanks
  11. Michael_Ingram

Old Birmingham Map (John Dower)

Can anyone help please? I have a large print out of Dower's 1834 map of Birmingham. It's made up of about 16 A4 sheets pasted together. I printed it out about five years ago to use for family history research. I have coloured stickers locating mid nineteenth century Ingrams all over it. I now...
  12. Michael_Ingram

Royal Engineers TA Signals

Can anyone give me information about this photo please? The sixteen year old lad leaning on the tent on the left is my dad Alf Ingram. For instance what is the caption short for? Part of it could be, for instance Southern Company (Command) Signals:?: Royal Engineers (TerritorialsL. 1913 But I am...
  13. Michael_Ingram

Gower Street

This thread is an offshoot of the Guildford Street thread here: https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11058&page=15&p=425001#post425001 First a 1938 map of the area - Gower Street can be found at the top right below Lozells Road
  14. Michael_Ingram

King Standing, Great and Perry Barr, Random Maps

Been searching my archives and found some old maps of these areas. In no particular order, firstly Kingstanding about 1920
  15. Michael_Ingram

Who needs a Tardis

Easter Sunday 2011, Wales. Just put on the Ink Spots on my iPod plugged into my Roberts player. They are singing Why do you whisper green grass. Suddenly found myself in the front room playing the windup record player; I am about thirteen. When it finishes I go out through the front door into...
  16. Michael_Ingram

Coming Up for Air

I thought that many of us were in need of some light relief and a bit of a breather in the fresh air. I recently acquired this photo from eBay. It was printed by May & co, Artists, 279 Wheeler Street, Lozells. I imagine it is a drama group - women only. Maybe someones mom or gran may be here.
  17. Michael_Ingram

Green/Silk Family Album

My father-in-law has an old family album that belonged to his grandparents Joseph Green and Mary Ann Silk. Unfortunately none of the photographs are named. I am going to post some here on the off chance that they might ring a bell with someone. In anycase they are great photos. Both Joseph and...
  18. Michael_Ingram

Where's This Shop?

Here is a challenge. I obtained this photo some time ago; its a postcard photo and written on the back in pencil is 'Birmingham Post'. Does anyone recognise the shop or the women. Any guesses where it may be. I have tried to enhance the sign to the left of the bedroom window but can't get...
  19. Michael_Ingram

Aston Theatres Purchase

Can anyone help with this request please hi i wonder if you could help me my grandfather charles mayfield his brother harry and sister anne all came from aston, after the first world war uncle harry bought theatres in aston, is there any chance you would know which theatre this was, anne was...
  20. Michael_Ingram

Remember Them

Remember all our grandads, dads, brothers and their pals. Below, My Grandfather, Harry who fought in WW1, My Dad, Alf who fought in WW1, my brother Alf who fought in WW2 and was wounded on DDay, my Dad on a horse, somewhere in Northern France or Belgium WW1
Back