• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Queens Road Aston (not Erdington)

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
Is anyone familiar with Queens Road Aston? Were there houses there in 1963ish? Were there new flats or tower blocks by any chance? Many thanks

As far as I can recall, in/around 1963 Atkinsons Brewery was still in Queens Road, and there were houses (terraced, if my memory is correct, along the road as well. I don't know if there were any tower blocks there in 1963, but probably not.

Today, Queens Road has a large police-station and an engineering works Astra Ltd. There are also blocks of flats.

I think Lyn (Astoness) posted some old photos of Queens Road earlier this year, probably on the thread Old Street Pics. Worth a search.

G

There were a few houses in Queens rd by the pub, my friend Dianne Murrel lived in one that was attached to the pub. If you went past the pub and up Church lane I think it was called up towards the Litchfield rd, half way up on the left were some high rise flats. I remember passing them every day on my way to work

ATKINS~2.JPGI was born in Queens Rd,ini 1930 in one of Atkinsons Brewery houses, they owned quite a number of houses adjacent to the brewery, the whole road consisted of terrace houses from Park Rd downt to Lovers Walk by the railway line, including one or 2 shops (converted houses), we left in 1935, my mother died in 1943 (I was 13) and I went back to Queens Rd to live with my Gran until 1948 when I went in the RAF, came out of RAF in 1956 and back to Aston yet again to Vicarage Rd adjacent to Queens Rd and when we left in 1962 the Brewery, terraced housing and small shops, plus the Queens and Avenue pubs where still there, do not know when the were demolished but probably when they constructed the Aston Expressway. I think there is a thread with some of Lyns Queens Rd pics on (although they may have been 'hacked'.Eric

Last edited:
Michael, I was born at 1/89 but left in 1935 when i was only 5, too young to know anyone, and then came back to live at 84 nearly opposite the pictured brewery (in my post) in 1943 when I was 13 until I was 18, cannot remember a Cox or Clarke during that time, we are talking over 60 to 70 years ago, I am now 82. Eric

I remember in 1964 a girl named Carol lived in the flats opposite the Police Station and she married Lyndon Bennett from Holte road. I can't recall her maiden name though. They were quite new flats at the time.

Jean, are you sure it was 1964, because when I left in late 1962 no development had started, still all terrace housing and the brewery, still I suppose they can do a lot in 2 years. Eric

Eric It may have been a couple of years later. They were brand new maisonettes and I thought them very posh at the time.

My Great great grandparents lived in this rd in the 1870's and 1880's. Found out this morning, I'm pure Aston!!!!!( Good job as I'm a Villa fan too!)

Hi everyone
I've been reading with interest the replies to the Queens Road thread. Is it possible anyone can help me locate the name of a pub in the Queens Road area. Back in 1962 I had a friend whose father was the licensee of a pub around there. To visit the place I travelled north by bus along Lichfield Road and got off just before the railway bridge. It was only a short walk from the bus stop along (possibly) Queens Road. The pub was located on a corner, possibly a T-junction, and quite close to where some housing clearance was happening, possibly for the Aston Expressway. My friends name was Linda Bayliss and her father the licensee walked with a limp. I know this isn't much to go on but I'd really appreciate any help. Regards, forever young

QUEENS~2.JPGForever young, if you got off just before the station you must have walked up Grosvenor Rd, passing the Grosvenor pub (my Dads local run by Jimmy Leach ex Villa player) turned left into Queens road passing Atkinsons brewery and reaching Atkinsons Queens (Head ?) pub, corner of Queens Road and Church Lane. Further up Queens road junction with Park road was another pub called (I think) the Avenue. The Queens was sometimes known as the 'top Queens' suggesting there was another lower down but I cannot remeber one. I lived in Queens Rd on 2 occassions, when I was born 1930 till we left 1934 and again to live with my Gran 1943 till 1948. Haveattached pik of Queens just before its demolition in the 60's. Eric

hi folks i have about 13 new photos of queens road to post taken in the mid 60s...well i think most of them are new to the forum..maybe one or two that we have already seen...pretty sure eric will like them as he was born in this road...

lyn

here are some new ones of queens road aston..eric i think you maybe able to see a clearer look at your entry on a couple of these...i am posting these in a high resolution for maximum effect when you click on them..

lyn

Attachments

• ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 024.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 024.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 83
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 025.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 025.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 78
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 026.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 026.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 80
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 027.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 027.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 80
hoping pic 2 in this lot show erics entry..

Attachments

• ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 028.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 028.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 67
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 029.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 029.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 66
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 030.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 030.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 63
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 031.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 031.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 66
next 4

Attachments

• ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 032.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 032.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 52
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 033.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 033.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 55
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 034.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 034.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 59
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 035.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 035.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 54
Thanks Lyn - Super pics, I love the one of the kids going out to play, one with his football, the other with a bag of crisps maybe. The pub they are walking by seems to have trouble with clocks ....
Phil

That brings back memories, I was born in Queens Rd (1/89) in 1930, left in 1935 (to Sheldon) returned to live with our Gran at No. 84 in 1943 (from Shirley) when our Mom died. 2 of our Dads 'locals' there, the 'Queens' and can just see the 'Avenue' (home of 'Stella's Bar') top of Queens Rd on the right with Aston Hall in background, must show my sisters these. Had a job of placing pic 1 on #18, realise it is junction Queens Rd/ Lovers Walk by the railway. Thanks Lyn

glad you like them eric and so pleased that you have a good shot now of your old entry...if posting photos brings back memories and keeps the little grey cells alert then its job done..

lyn

I love these photo's too. I have them in one of my books. Not sure which one though!. Had quite a few friends living in these roads when I was at school.

Heres a pic of Queens rd, thanks to chocks.

Attachments

• The Avenue Hotel queens Rd aston.jpg
    The Avenue Hotel queens Rd aston.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 60
A couple more photos of Queens Rd Aston, the first one showing part of it before the demolition hammers finished off what Hitler started during WW2. The second photo which I believe shows the result of the second bomb raid on Birmingham of the war in which two people lost their lives.

Attachments

• Aston Queens Rd - Church Lane 1967 ad.JPG
    Aston Queens Rd - Church Lane 1967 ad.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Aston Queens Rd .JPG
    Aston Queens Rd .JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 57
The first entry on pic.2. post 18 shows where my ex-husband and his family lived - 5/87 Queens Road, they were not back to back but I think they were called double knacks, they were bay windowed three bedroomed houses, with a small front garden and a back yard.

Lynne I'm puzzled by the writing on the bottom of the photos which say Queens Road/Wilton Street, they wasn't a Wilton Street in that area.

Regarding the photo showing the aftermath of the bombing, all the family were in Atkinsons shelter, except one brother who was on leave from the RAF and he refused to go, the house took some of the blast and he was blown from his bed. I never met him as he was killed flying over Cologne in 1945.

Back