• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gower Street

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
This thread is an offshoot of the Guildford Street thread here: https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11058&page=15&p=425001#post425001
First a 1938 map of the area - Gower Street can be found at the top right below Lozells Road

1938.jpg

I will post some photos that have been previously posted before by me and others, probably Astoness. The first three are Gower Street Scool

Gowerst-2.jpg

Gowerst-1.jpg

gower-street-school-1931.jpg

Mike, those photos bring memories back to me, when I was about 13 years old, my friend and I had crushes on a couple of lads who lived in Gower Street, and we would cut up from Furnace Lane into Gower Street hoping to "accidentally" bump into them. We hardly ever saw them, but must have spent quite a few weeks that summer hoping to.

Saw this photo on the Guilford St thread and realised that it is the only photograph I've ever seen that shows any part of the 'new' school. The ground floor of the furthest section shown was the library in 1961, next to our classroom ( Mr Ward 4B ).

Back