• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Reunion Dinner Puzzle

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
Can anyone help with this photo? It was taken by a Handsworth photographer - Taylor's Press Service, 366 Soho Road.
I have fiddled with the exposure and can see that the menus on the table read 'Reunion Dinner'; nothing else is clear enough to identify.
My Dad is in the photo and he was in the Royal Engineers in WW1. He was also a bus driver at the time and it is probably taken sometime in the thirties. I can't see working bus drivers would be having a reunion.
If it is an Army reunion, I am puzzled that there is no evidence of medals or badges. My dad went to St Matthias' school and it would hardly be a reunion for there.
Any ideas; you may even recognize a relative?
reunion_dinner.jpg

thats a cracking photo mike...with no sign of medals being worn i doubt a ww1 reunion ..they all look to be about the same age though..hope you get to bottom of the mystery..ps which one is your dad..

lyn

On the wall, left upper picture of the crew from HMS Taku, think nothing to do with the Reunion

It's Springtime & the man second from the left on the back row looks to be 'in charge' as he is the only one with a wing collar & a bow tie.

mike i know this wont help you identify what the reunion was for but it looks to be held in maybe the upstairs function room of a pub...

lyn

I would say it was a works do of some type, definitely non military, so if not club related then not a lot left??.

I'm bit doubtful about a works do. Dad was a bus driver at the Hockley Brook depot. If it was a works do I would have thought there would be a greater age range and also women present. I don't think that there were women drivers in the thirties but I think there were probably women conductors. I know there were in the forties as my sister-in-law was one. You could be right though; it could have been for drivers only or perhaps a union dinner. But as I say, I would have thought there would have been a greater age range. These all look of the right age for WW1 veterans. I don't know of any clubs that Dad belong to and he had no interest in sports. He was in the Signals Company of the Royal Engineers and so when he was not at work he was mending neighbours' wirelesses and showing me how to make a crystal set.
It was just a chance though. Somebody may have recognized a relative - the puzzle remains

it is a puzzle mike..obviously the word reunion suggests that in part at least these men most likely knew each other..trouble is where from ?? fingers crossed somebody may recognize one of the men in photo and have the answer for you

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Mike, I'm unable to read the actual menu cards but you mention "perhaps a union dinner". Can you definitely tell that the menu says "reunion dinner" and not "union dinner"? Dave.

Hi Mike, I'm unable to read the actual menu cards but you mention "perhaps a union dinner". Can you definitely tell that the menu says "reunion dinner" and not "union dinner"? Dave.

thats a good point dave...im afraid even with my glasses on i just cant make it out...hopefully someone may do better

lyn

It definitly says Reunion Dinner. I used Photoshop to fiddle with the photo and that can bee seen clearly as it is in fairly large letters. unfortunatly the other text is to small and of low resolution; when enlarged it is just distorted blotches.

Mike. I was wondering whether anything momentous happened at the Hockley Bus Garage in the 1930s that would warrant a reunion. Well, according to the book, "Birmingham Buses, Route by Route 1925-1975", by Martin Keeley, Hockley was the tram depot for the Soho Road routes and was converted to buses on 2 April 1939. Hence, the Hockley Garage was for both trams and buses up to 1 April 1939 but converted to only buses on 2 April 1939. This might have been quite a big event for the Hockley Garage so perhaps there could have been a reunion for ex-tram or bus drivers. The time of year that this happens, April, also ties in with daffodils on the reunion meal tables. Against this theory, the ages of the participants seem to be fairly similar, although there are a couple of older people. Dave

Back