• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coming Up for Air

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
I thought that many of us were in need of some light relief and a bit of a breather in the fresh air.
I recently acquired this photo from eBay. It was printed by May & co, Artists, 279 Wheeler Street, Lozells. I imagine it is a drama group - women only. Maybe someones mom or gran may be here.

I like the cut of your Jib young man. Interesting photo any idea of period?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it have been from Cadburys they had drama groups for women only I think, but probably later than the estimated date of the photo?
Sue

I would think that they are from the Lozells area Sue as it is a Wheeler Street photographer. From the style of printing on the back of the photo which is a postcard it is post 1907 but I wouldn't think later than about 1914, Sue

Kellys states that May & Co took over from Frank Ketelbey between 1905 and 1908, an remained there until sometime between 1933 and 1936

great pic michael....wonder who the ladies are and thanks for that info mike and Lloyd i did not not that we had a composer born in alma st...

cheers

lyn

Brilliant photo Michael! Isn't it amazing how one photo can uncover so much history? And what convincing moustaches! Thanks for making me smile too. Viv.

Michael. Dyas Rd yes, but not sure about Dyas Av. Will have a look at a map see if it jogs the memory. Viv.

Michael. I've looked it up. There is a Dyas Avenue, it's going over towards the Perry Barr direction. Dyas Rd is in Kingstanding/Great Barr. Quite a long road going down a hill away from the junction with Kingstanding Rd towards Great Barr. Don't know if that all makes sense! Funny that the avenue and the road aren't close together. (Sorry seem to be going off thread here). Viv.

Hi Mike, nice to see you posting again.
Dyas Avenue is in Hamstead, Birmingham 22. It runs from Old Walsall Road, towards Tower Hill. It is a right turn after the canal bridge that spans Old Walsall Road.

My great Uncle Jo Worrall was a theatrical agent in Lozells, in my mother's words 'He booked the Turns.' I have looked carefully in case any of the girls in the photo look like family, sadly no they don't.

I used to live in Dyas Avenue...the Old Walsall Road end..in the mid sixties. Seems like only yesterday!

Back