• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vesper Bell, Blythe Street and the kent family

I am a little puzzled by the name in the articles being different from the name we looked for. Hannah Marie as opposed to Anna Gertrude H.
The address of Hove for one and St Leonards on Sea for the other seem to fit as does the Moor Green Lane in the articles for Rudolph and Anna G at Moor Green Lane on the ship.

Hannah/Anna is not uncommon and as you mentioned earlier easily misheard, accent probably didn't help.

Maybe she took the name Maria due to her religion.

Too rare a name and too much else matches for it to be someone else I think.

Yes so my grandfather was one of the twins. I knew him til I was 16. I just spoke to my father who knew his grandfather had been previously married and had children but there was never any mention of them. It’s quite sad but the twins didn’t get on in later life . We found this picture of them. IMG_8596.jpeg

Attachments

• convent-school-children_orig.jpg
    convent-school-children_orig.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 9
yes janet they are very much still there and i have visited a few times over the years and helped find old photos for their archives..it really is a lovely peaceful convent...if veekent thinks it worthwhile i can contact jenny at st marys and ask her to check their records to see if mary kents name crops up...thinking about it that photo veekent posted could well have been taken in the gardens and burial ground of the convent at the back.

lyn

Last edited:
There was also a sisters of Mercy convent in Deritend, St Annes

yes janet they are very much still there and i have visited a few times over the years and helped find old photos for their archives..it really is a lovely peaceful convent...if veekent thinks it worthwhile i can contact jenny at st marys and ask her to check their records to see if mary kents name crops up...thinking about it that photo veekent posted could well have been taken in the gardens and burial ground of the convent at the back.

lyn
Yes that would be wonderful thank you

Looking for "consul" in google you get:
What rank is a consul?

Consul (i.e., official who is conferred or breveted a diplomatic rank at least at the level of Second Secretary or Third Secretary for the period of his/her temporary assignment), Consul General (i.e., an official acting as the chief of a diplomatic mission functioning as Consulate General
So it does seem as if one could describe themselves as consul even if only temporarily it for a day or so. (Admittedly this would refer to present practices).

Looking for "consul" in google you get:
What rank is a consul?

Consul (i.e., official who is conferred or breveted a diplomatic rank at least at the level of Second Secretary or Third Secretary for the period of his/her temporary assignment), Consul General (i.e., an official acting as the chief of a diplomatic mission functioning as Consulate General
So it does seem as if one could describe themselves as consul even if only temporarily it for a day or so. (Admittedly this would refer to present practices).
It just seems a bit of a jump from being a rancher in 1924 to being a Consul/vice consul by 1928.

Death in 1989 of her other son Charles Richard but known as Richard. It also seems that Oscar was known as Dolf.
1698085313557.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
have received this reply off jenny at st marys convent

Dear Lin,

Lovely to hear from you. I’m well thank you and hope you are too

So, you mean that she is the nun and the other picture is her before she entered? I’m afraid we have no Sisters in our register of Sisters by that name. Not really sure what else to suggest. It does look like a Mercy habit, but I’ll send the picture on to a colleague to see if he has any other ideas on the congregation based on the habit.

Best wishes,

Jenny

As I said before - we have no idea which convent she entered, Jenny not being able to find her doesn't mean she didn't join the order just that is was not Hunters Road.
Also based on the first photo she could well have entered as an older novice.

As I said before - we have no idea which convent she entered, Jenny not being able to find her doesn't mean she didn't join the order just that is was not Hunters Road.
Also based on the first photo she could well have entered as an older novice.
May have been St Anne's Convent Lowe Street, this was also Sisters of Mercy. Bombed during WW11

With no obvious 1921, 1939 or death I was thinking she may have gone with her brother and then become a nun in South America?

Back