• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St anns convent lowe hill deritend

P

patricia9999

I have found out from the 1911 census that my grandmother was in the above institution aged 12. does anyone know whether it was a live in school or an orphanage. or anymore about this convent or where I can get more info
thanks

Patricia:)

According to the 1912 directory St annes convent was in Lowe Street, which ran from Bradford st to Ravenhurst st. No Lowe hill is listed. Lowe st is still there, but blocked off at one end. From google earth there may be a school of some sort there now (judging by markings on the asphalt playground/whatever.
mike

St Annes Church and School was in Alcester St off Bradford St Highgate as dwilly says. I'm not sure if the School is still there, but the church stell is. Lowe Street as mikejee says housed The Convent which was only a short walk from the church. Lowe St was off Ravenhurst St which still I think has Alms Houses.

Was your grandmother of the RC faith, because all these establishments, were of that denomination.

Phil

No she wasnt catholic thats why I was a bit confused. I think it is low street - looking at the list of names from the census info it looks like a convent but the ages are from around 3 - over 70 years old... and it does say inmate...

Back