• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vesper Bell, Blythe Street and the kent family

Hope this is the right person:
Found this transcript on Family Search
1697893379688.png
The original entry is on Ancestry - a return to Venezuela via Trinidad but it lists him as British Consul and address is St James Palace o_O
Also gives name of wife.
1697893460265.png

Married reg. London 1925 - Anna as Dotzauer or Vetter.

Her son was born in Bham and travelled to Venezuela in 1928.

Last edited:
It seems likely, I couldn't see any other John Eaton-Kent it could be and there's nothing on the scan that doesn't match.

I tried searching the newspapers but Kent makes it difficult.

i think that when veekent reads all the above info he/she is going to be surprised to learn that john worked at st james palace...great research by all

lyn

It is st James Palace Chambers, not st James Palace. If you put it in Google it is on Ryder st very close to st James st and there is an engraving of it in 1879. Seems to be apartments and/or offices. Ground floor made into shops around 1930

Last edited:
It is st James Palace Chambers, not st st James Palace. If you put it in Google it is in st James st and there is an engraving of it in 1879. Seems to be apartments and/or offices. Ground floor made into shops around 1930

Thanks Mike.

I am beginning to doubt the entry as "British Consul" - I think it may just have been that he worked at the consulate.
Found this entry in "The Diplomat Service List" I can't find a John Kent or John Eaton-Kent
1697911338220.png

Wow I’m just catching up on all that has been found. It’s amazing what you have been able to find in such short space of time.
Did it say when he worked at the palace chambers?

That is the address he used when he sailed back to Venezuela in 1929 (Post 32) but as Mike pointed out it is not the Palace itself.

I’m very intrigued by what John Eaton kent ended up in London and what he was doing travelling to Venezuela

Still no idea about Mary Alice.

No local death or marriage that I could see, she could have travelled with her brother but married and settled in Venezuela so no further record.

If she married or died somewhere else in England/Wales difficult to be sure. Only chance then to find her maybe to find her dob (birth certificate) and search for it on the 1939 register, hoping she's alive, and trace back from those results.

This is a long shot but just something that crosses my mind. We found a photo of a nun and on the back it said fathers Sister and had Kent written on there too.
If Mary went into a nunnery would she no longer be on the census

If Mary went into a nunnery then she should still appear on records.

Who's wife do you mean, John Anthony Eaton-Kent?

If it's John Anthony's wife, she was born in Belgium. She lived in Edgbaston in 1901 and in 1921 in Sussex.

Her divorce from her first husband is mentioned in the newspaper.

It is st James Palace Chambers, not st James Palace. If you put it in Google it is on Ryder st very close to st James st and there is an engraving of it in 1879. Seems to be apartments and/or offices. Ground floor made into shops around 1930
thanks for clarifying that mike

lyn

difficult to pin down mary alice kent ..there is a marr in 1956 birm..mary a kent to arthur skelding..a death in lichfield 1964 mary a kent born 1888..burial or crem at lodge hill for a mary kent 1934..various poss electoral rolls so very difficult to know anything for sure at the min..

lyn

This is a long shot but just something that crosses my mind. We found a photo of a nun and on the back it said fathers Sister and had Kent written on there too.
If Mary went into a nunnery would she no longer be on the census
thats very interesting and quite possible as why else would the family have a photo of nun saying fathers sister

lyn

Back