• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vesper Bell, Blythe Street and the kent family

With no obvious 1921, 1939 or death I was thinking she may have gone with her brother and then become a nun in South America?
that was my thought some time back mark as she just disappears after the 1911...this could be a mystery we just cant solve but who knows..as we have suggested before obtaining her birth cert will at least give us her full date of birth which may help us find her

edit just noticed jan post...its looking like she did go abroad then

lyn

I have found another photo of the nun.
I have looked online and think it could in fact be John Kent b1862 sister. I think it could be Sarah Kent Born 1868 but I can’t guarantee. It says she worked at saint annes in Northumberland as a launderer. What I can see is this is a girls school but not sure if run by nuns or not.
I just wanted to thank you for your help in trying to track her down in the other convent.

I have found another photo of the nun.
I have looked online and think it could in fact be John Kent b1862 sister. I think it could be Sarah Kent Born 1868 but I can’t guarantee. It says she worked at saint annes in Northumberland as a launderer. What I can see is this is a girls school but not sure if run by nuns or not.
I just wanted to thank you for your help in trying to track her down in the other convent.
It crossed my mind it could be an earlier person. I didn't follow that thought up.

1911 census..sarah is working at no 1 and 2 summerhill grove (st annes home for servants) as launderess...all inmates of st annes home which i would definately say was run by the convent (about 35 in all) are young single girls ..... above the door at no 2 its says our lady of lourdes deaf club and there is also a plaque on the wall..convent is on the same side a bit further up but the entrance to it is around the corner in houston st and looking at st view the gates are open but it says on a notice board st annes court so i could be that it is no longer a convent but this need confirming

Last edited:
I think she is still there on the 1939. Cannot tell uf she is a nun as she is just referred to as a laundress. Very likely a nun.
Info suggests convent is permanently closed.
Will try to contact archivist tomorrow

I think she is still there on the 1939. Cannot tell uf she is a nun as she is just referred to as a laundress. Very likely a nun.
Info suggests convent is permanently closed.
Will try to contact archivist tomorrow
ok jan...sarah is also at no 1 summerhill grove (st annes home for servants) in 1901..st marys hunters road had a training school as well...

i think on the 39 she is with just 3 other ladies at the hermitage glendale road northumberland..unpaid domestic duties..date of birth is 27th may 1867 there is a red cross alongside her name...do not know what that means

I think at least one of the ladies on the 1939 was also with Sarah on the an earlier census (Mary H Palmer). So I think they might just have retired from the school/home. (I can't find it again now :D ). Might have been on eroll as Newcastle is on Ancestry.
No idea about the red cross.

Last edited:
UPDATE ON SARAH KENT

what a great result ..i have just had this email regarding sarah and also a photo of where she is buried...how nice of jenny from st marys convent hunters road to pass on our enquiry to daniel flint..

lyn

Dear Lyn,

My name is Daniel Flint, I'm the archivist for the Institute of Our Lady of Mercy. I understand you're looking for more information about a Sister of Mercy, Sarah Kent. Your request was sent to me by Jenny Smith as the Newcastle-upon-Tyne convent is part of the Institute, so all the records are now here in our archives in Bermondsey, London.

Looking at our database, I can confirm that Sarah was a Sister of Mercy. She was born 26th May 1867 to John and Alice Kent in Sandyford, Staffordshire. She entered the Newcastle-upon-Tyne convent 19th September 1891 and had her reception 30th October 1892. Her final profession was on 8th December 1894, after which she adopted the religious name of Sister Mary Agatha.

She died 14th March 1953, and is buried at Ashburton Cemetery, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Unfortunately, we have no records of her activity between her final profession and her death. I have attached a photo of the Mercy grave plot in Ashburton, you will see her name at the top of the second column.

I hope this information is useful to you. Please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you.

Kind regards,

Daniel Flintthumbnail (63).jpg

Absolutely brilliant.

We know where she was and what she did thanks to 1901 and 1911 censuses plus 1939 reg. Perhaps we need to add the 1921 for a full set.

Absolutely brilliant.

We know where she was and what she did thanks to 1901 and 1911 censuses plus 1939 reg. Perhaps we need to add the 1921 for a full set.
i am waiting for a friend to send me the 21 jan...so pleased for veekent and to receive a photo of sarahs grave is the iceing on the cake

lyn

to finish off here is the 1921 transcript census for sarah. and also the written census...still at no 2 summerhill grove...home for young girls

lyn

Transcript of Sarah's record​

First name(s)Sarah
Full address as transcribed2 Summerhill Grove, Newcastle On Tyne
Last nameKent
ParishNewcastle upon Tyne
SexFemale
Registration districtNewcastle upon Tyne
Birth year1867
Registration district number558
Census date19 June 1921
Sub-districtWestgate
Age in years54
Sub-district number3
Age as transcribed54 y
Enumeration district number26
Relationship to headNun
CountyNorthumberland
Marital statusSingle
CountryEngland
Birth placeStafford, Staffordshire, England
Ward of borough or urban districtSt John's
Birth townStafford
Parliamentary borough or divisionNewcastle Upon Tyne PB, Central Div.
Birth countyStaffordshire
ArchiveThe National Archives
Birth countryEngland
Archive seriesRG 15
Birth place as transcribedStafford, Stone
Piece number25325
OccupationLaundress
Schedule number31
Occupation code918
District referenceRD 558 RS 3 ED 26
Occupation code with suffix918/6
Schedule type codeE
EmployerPrivate
Schedule typeEngland household, single page, 10 entries
Employer code730
Other household member's first name(s)Agnes, Annie M, Annie, Catherine, Elizabeth, Ellen, Mary, Sarah M
Language used to complete formEnglishthumbnail (68).jpgthumbnail (67).jpg

Wow this is absolutely amazing. Thank you all so much. I can’t believe a week ago I by chance had a google of my great father’s pub. This brought up this forum. I posted not expecting anything really to come of it. And not only have I now got photos of the pub but we have also answered the questions on who the nun was in my families photos. And have provided so much information including the photo of the grave. I can’t thank you all enough.
I have been researching my family tree since I was 16. I now have a young family and do not get the time to research as much. Once again thank you

Back