• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ROBERT JONES Lyndon Road

Unless you have any further info about Dennis' second wife then it seems difficult. They could have been married anywhere (no guarantee that it was Surrey or Solihull/Bham) and if she had been married before then when she married Dennis she may be listed under that name, meaning the mmn for their children would be different.

Gwendoline re-marrying in 1974 may imply their divorce only came about not long prior but then again it might have been to do with her second husband.

There is a possible probate for Dennis. Record gives a death of 26 Jan 1979, which corresponds with the death registration. No age given on the probate but his death seems to be only one for a Dennis registered in Surrey in that year and qtr.

His Will may give further clues.

There is a possible probate for Dennis. Record gives a death of 26 Jan 1979, which corresponds with the death registration. No age given on the probate but his death seems to be only one for a Dennis registered in Surrey in that year and qtr.

Just says Dennis Jones of

Dennis Jones Died 26th January 1979 address 126A high street Sutton sy

Is that the actual Will or just the probate record? You can obtain a copy of the Will which should contain further details. I don't think it's expensive but I haven't ordered one myself.

And the ERs for Sutton, Surrey are available on Ancestry.

Is that the actual Will or just the probate record? You can obtain a copy of the Will which should contain further details. I don't think it's expensive but I haven't ordered one myself.

And the ERs for Sutton, Surrey are available on Ancestry.
It’s only showing me probate can’t even find where to purchase will

I'm not sure how Ancestry works but on the government site, when you fill in the details and get to the order page what you then receive is a copy of the Will, not a probate record.

As I said, I haven't order one myself but I think Janice has, so maybe she will confirm or otherwise.

I think the issue is that he died before 1996 so things are slighty different. Enter his name and year of death.
You get this part way down the page. If you click on open image and order form then you can enter the details
1680113840748.png
Fill out the boxes on the right and then click add to basket. You will then need to pay.
1680113921556.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I think the issue is that he died before 1996 so things are slighty different. Enter his name and year of death.
You get this part way down the page. If you click on open image and order form then you can enter the details
View attachment 178979
Fill out the boxes on the right and then click add to basket. You will then need to pay.
View attachment 178980
I’ve just ordered it, it was only £1.50 doesn’t seem enough for a will

Marriage possibly Sep 1965, Sutton to Jane A Jamieson. Can't see an obvious Jones/Jamieson birth so maybe Jane was married previously.

There is a birth for a Helen A Jones mmn Jamieson in Leeds Mar 1960. However, there is a Jones/Jamieson married in Leeds 1955, so she may be their daughter. A connection between Dennis & Leeds might add a little doubt to that.

Last edited:
Marriage possibly Sep 1965, Sutton to Jane A Jamieson. Can't see an obvious Jones/Jamieson birth so maybe Jane was married previously.

There is a birth for a Helen A Jones mmn Jamieson in Leeds Mar 1960. However, there is a Jones/Jamieson married in Leeds 1955, so she may be their daughter. A connection between Dennis & Leeds might add a little doubt to that.

So looking again at the scan in #197, it is just the probate record and not a copy of the actual Will, which I mistakenly thought it might be.

Luckily, administration was granted to relevant people rather than unknowns or solicitors. That would have been annoying.

I wonder how old you have to be to be able to administrate an estate (18 maybe?), assuming the Helen mentioned is the daughter then that would give a latest she could have been born.

So looking again at the scan in #197, it is just the probate record and not a copy of the actual Will, which I mistakenly thought it might be.

Luckily, administration was granted to relevant people rather than unknowns or solicitors. That would have been annoying.

I wonder how old you have to be to be able to administrate an estate (18 maybe?), assuming the Helen mentioned is the daughter then that would give a latest she could have been born.
if there was a will made i think only cost £1.50 but that needs checking

lyn

• Appreciate
The adress is in sutton just googled it..it never crossed my mind that jane wasnt living there it is a bit strange

If Gwendoline had children before the divorce, could it possible for Dennis to as well?

Also the probate grants Letter of Administration to Jane and Helen, and I imagine you'd have to be a certain age for that to happen.

Which would possibly put Helen's birth between 1956 and 1961 maybe?

£1.50 buys a will if there was one.
It is likely there was no will. So the only paoerwork is a letter of Administration giving Jane and Helen the right to close the estate.
The issue date is October so I assume it took a while to sort out.

• Appreciate
Back