• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ROBERT JONES Lyndon Road

What I can glean from the search results for the 1921 census is that William, Gladys and Arthur are living at 121 Deakins Road. William's birthplace is listed as Rhiwlas, Carnarvonshire (mentioned previously) and his occupation is listed as Fitter Labour.

Deakins Road is in the Hay Mills area of Birmingham but in 1921 came under the Kings Norton district.

Pay-per-view 1921 census records are half price atm on findmypast...

Thank you so much. I’ve gone on but won’t take my card for some reason

I'm not sure how to help with that.

Probably a stupid question but did you (or need to) register first? Which is free.

Hi
Ive just had my grandads birth certificate through it states his father as william owen Jones. So the original one you found with William having middle name is most likely correct

Hi
Ive just had my grandads birth certificate through it states his father as william owen Jones. So the original one you found with William having middle name is most likely correct

Through from where? From family or did you order it?

If the latter, how did you know you were ordering the correct one? Is father Owen David Jones and mother Sarah Ann Williams?

Through from where? From family or did you order it?

If the latter, how did you know you were ordering the correct one? Is father Owen David Jones and mother Sarah Ann Williams?
I ordered my grandads i paid for it Robert william Jones, his father is william owen jones mother gladys winifred Shirley.

I ordered my grandads i paid for it Robert william Jones, his father is william owen jones mother gladys winifred Shirley.

Sorry, I thought you meant you had ordered you great grandad William's birth certificate.

I was a bit worried, I know it's only £11 but still a mistake would be annoying.

I've been putting off purchasing a certain one for a while - I have doubts about it - but ultimately I have to see what it says.

I was a bit worried, I know it's only £11 but still a mistake would be annoying.

I've been putting off purchasing a certain one for a while - I have doubts about it - but ultimately I have to see what it says.
I want to find williams ive been on and paid for the census on the 1921 but picked out 1 right one and the rest were wrong gave up just wanred to know who he lived with

Not sure what you mean.

William will only appear once on the 1921 census - 121 Deakins Road with Gladys and Arthur.

William's parents and younger siblings are still living in Merthyr Tydfil - 54 Angus Street.

Not sure what you mean.

William will only appear once on the 1921 census - 121 Deakins Road with Gladys and Arthur.

William's parents and younger siblings are still living in Merthyr Tydfil - 54 Angus Street.
I cant find a 54 angus street

Sorry, it should be 22 Angus Street, Registration District - Merthyr Tydfil, Parish - Merthyr Tydfil.

Owen David, Sarah Ann, Jane, Idwal, Arfon and John Elias.

If you had the marriage cert for William to Gladys then his Father's name should be on it. This would confirm if William's father was an Owen David Jones.

Very glad to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.

Assume his death was the one registered in Solhull in 1952

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I mentioned possibilities for Arthur here...

The Doris M Wilkins who he possibly marries, re-marries in 1963 which may indicate the death is correct.

Last edited:
There also appears to be a family tree on Ancestry that has the above Doris - Doris Minnie Wilkins - in it. The tree is under the name Packer (name of her second husband).

From what I can see, which admittedly isn't much, it does mention an Arthur Owen Jones but if it's yours it has the death date wrong. The date they have appears to apply to an Arthur, 43 years older than her, not impossible but unlikely.

There are 4 Arthur Jones buried in Birmingham in 1958.
One is buried in May at Yardley, one cremated at Yardley in October. The other two were at Lodge Hill - cremations in January and June.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Checking the deaths there is an Arthur O Jones aged 38 registered in Birmingham in the June quarter (Apr, May, June) of 1958. No other ages match.

Last edited:
The "O" might be a good indicator as the birth I listed has him as Arthur Owen

There also appears to be a family tree on Ancestry that has the above Doris - Doris Minnie Wilkins - in it. The tree is under the name Packer (name of her second husband).

From what I can see, which admittedly isn't much, it does mention an Arthur Owen Jones but if it's yours it has the death date wrong. The date they have appears to apply to an Arthur, 43 years older than her, not impossible but unlikely.
I have messaged the person in the packer tree on ancestry, but looking at the information attached to him has a mother of Emily Jones, a father of William Jones then a Harry Jones and probate to a Beatrice Louisa Jones. Could be that they have attached the wrong information.will carry on looking

The tree name would seem to imply that it was done by a Packer so info for Arthur (a non relation) may not have been gathered with particular care. From what I can see, I can't see the parents or a year of birth.

If it does prove to be correct (though I suspect it isn't) at least you can rule out Doris as a potential wife to your Arthur.

I have messaged the person in the packer tree on ancestry, but looking at the information attached to him has a mother of Emily Jones, a father of William Jones then a Harry Jones and probate to a Beatrice Louisa Jones. Could be that they have attached the wrong information.will carry on looking
There is an Arthur Owen Jones who had parents Harry and Emily but he was born in 1901. He seems to have died in 1975

The probate record cannot be the right one as the tree says his wife was Doris but the probate lists his widow as Beatrice. o_O
The Death record is for the same person the RAF records are for but that is a death in 1975 while the probate is for a death in 1949.
A very muddled tree.

Last edited:
There is an Arthur Owen Jones who had parents Harry and Emily but he was born in 1901. He seems to have died in 1975

The probate record cannot be the right one as the tree says his wife was Doris but the probate lists his widow as Beatrice. o_O
The Death record is for the same person the RAF records are for but that is a death in 1975 while the probate is for a death in 1949.
A very muddled tree.
Yeah i found all that it is very muddled. We definitely know that Arthurs parents are Gladys and william.

Yeah i found all that it is very muddled. We definitely know that Arthurs parents are Gladys and william.
I don't think too much importance can be attached to this tree.
I would be inclined to contact Yardley and ask about the burial of the Artur Jones in May 1958. That seems to fit with the death I referred to in post 141

I don't think too much importance can be attached to this tree.
I would be inclined to contact Yardley and ask about the burial of the Artur Jones in May 1958. That seems to fit with the death I referred to in post 141
My aunt and uncle went there yesterday, but forgot to ask. I cant get through on phone to the actual cemetery unfortunately.

I notice on a tree on Ancestry (yours?) there is a photo of a grave. Is that the one at Yardley? Did it have any inscriptions?

I notice on a tree on Ancestry (yours?) there is a photo of a grave. Is that the one at Yardley? Did it have any inscriptions?
Yeah its mine Gladys and William have graves for there picture. No description on the the lady at the cemetery told them where they are

Back