• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ROBERT JONES Lyndon Road

Can I ask what your reason for buying it is? Is it to find out some information or do you just want it (nothing wrong with that in itself)?

For me the only 2 certificates I would consider would be William's birth certificate and his parent's marriage, and only if they didn't help with further research would I move on to others. And even then I might consider William's too uncertain.
I have Williams birth certificate and waiting on his parents marriage certificate. I just wanted to see if I could get more information on his siblings more than I have

Can I ask what your reason for buying it is? Is it to find out some information or do you just want it (nothing wrong with that in itself)?

For me the only 2 certificates I would consider would be William's birth certificate and his parent's marriage, and only if they didn't help with further research would I move on to others. And even then I might consider William's too uncertain.

Ok, is William's mmn listed as Williams? And can you match other details with those on the censuses?
William b 6 feb1898 lyeroes Rhiwlas Leauddeiniolen father Owen David Jones mother Sarah Ann Jones formally Williams mother signed residence is lyeroes Rhiwlas llauddeiniolen. I think I’ve spelt the place’s correctly

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
That's good, it all seems to match.

It is possible that David Owen Jones dies in 1915 (Jun qtr Merthyr Tydfil). He doesn't seem to be on the 1921 census but as I can saying (like a broken record) I can't be certain. He could have died in WWI or might just be missing in 1921 for some reason.

I’ve found a 1914 short service for David Owen Jones corps Royal army medical 22nd August 1914 age as 19y 9months I now people changed there ages back then to join the army. no 9384 if that means anything and year of birth on birth index I found was 1985 3rd quarter.

I see that the Military Service Region is listed as Wales, so that both that and the death reg. in Merthyr Tydfil could be correct.

I think Idwal Jones may have married a Priscilla Luke in 1925 and had at least 2 daughters, Betty & Thelma. On the 1921 census his birthplace is listed as Troedyrhiw and he is living there on the 1939 register. Also his dob in 1939 (14 May 1903) fits with his possible birth registration. If son his death was reg. Mar 1971 Merthyr Tydfil.

Arfon Jones dob may have been 10 Aug 1910 and death reg. Mar qtr 1977 Merthyr Tydfil. He doesn't seem to be on 1939 register. May have married a Brenda Price in 1946.

Jane is just too difficult, there's a possible death reg. Sep 1930 Merthyr Tydfil that matches but it would be a stretch to say there was any confidence in that.

I think Idwal Jones may have married a Priscilla Luke in 1925 and had at least 2 daughters, Betty & Thelma. On the 1921 census his birthplace is listed as Troedyrhiw and he is living there on the 1939 register. Also his dob in 1939 (14 May 1903) fits with his possible birth registration. If son his death was reg. Mar 1971 Merthyr Tydfil.

Arfon Jones dob may have been 10 Aug 1910 and death reg. Mar qtr 1977 Merthyr Tydfil. He doesn't seem to be on 1939 register. May have married a Brenda Price in 1946.

Jane is just too difficult, there's a possible death reg. Sep 1930 Merthyr Tydfil that matches but it would be a stretch to say there was any confidence in that.
Thank you I thought Jane would be the hardest one to find I have her living at home in Merthyr Tydfil at age 20 then nothing

Ok, the Janes Jones that died in 1930 is not correct, obituary lists her as Mrs which would rule her out.

And it does appear that the details for Idwal are correct. There was a newspaper report in the Merthyr Express 21 Jun 1941 Idwal Jones of Diana St having communications with his brother Arfon, who was in the RAF, for the first time in 18 months.

I'll have a look for some more.

Ok, the Janes Jones that died in 1930 is not correct, obituary lists her as Mrs which would rule her out.

And it does appear that the details for Idwal are correct. There was a newspaper report in the Merthyr Express 21 Jun 1941 Idwal Jones of Diana St having communications with his brother Arfon, who was in the RAF, for the first time in 18 months.

I'll have a look for some more.
Thank you so much you are both brilliant for helping me

Owen David Jones (father) died in March 1927 and there appears to be a good write up in the Merthyr Express (26 Mar). From what I can see there's a lot about his life - he was in the Welsh Fusiliers, servied in India - he was member of Nazareth Church - chief mourners were his sons William, Idwal and Arfon (no mention of David) - other relatives are mentioned (nephews and cousins)

I can only see the search results (which can be a bit garbled), not the actual scan.

Owen David Jones (father) died in March 1927 and there appears to be a good write up in the Merthyr Express (26 Mar). From what I can see there's a lot about his life - he was in the Welsh Fusiliers, servied in India - he was member of Nazareth Church - chief mourners were his sons William, Idwal and Arfon (no mention of David) - other relatives are mentioned (nephews and cousins)

I can only see the search results (which can be a bit garbled), not the actual scan.
Thats amazing will see if i can find the article

will look.

Had to do it in sections otherwise it would be too small. No mention of Jane - had she died by then or did only men attend??

1680628000572.png
1680628039021.png
1680628079122.png

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
It is all there in the 3 cuttings but it is from:

You need to subscribe to get the page.

Back